Looking for mountain flying CFI mid July

Gubbins

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
gone for good
I'm looking for a mountain flying CFI to give me some instruction in mid July, preferably based at Eagle, and do some landings at regional airports including Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Steamboat Springs, etc. Please PM if you're interested or know of someone. Thanks

I'll do it, but I'm based in Florida. Come on down and I'll tell ya everything you need to know.

Colorado Pilot's Assn has a list of Mountain CFIs on their website. Call a few. Many would fly up from the Metro area.

Colorado Pilot's Assn has a list of Mountain CFIs on their website. Call a few. Many would fly up from the Metro area.

Thank you, great suggestion. Are there any in particular you could recommend?

Yes. Anyone on the list.

And there's always Jon Bowman at Western (BJC)

John is great if you can get him scheduled. It's likely that he won't come to you at EGE but with the right incentive he just might.

Don heinemann (sp) in Steamboat Springs! He is the check airman for the flying club, very well respected among everyone I visited with. he works at ksbs during the week most of the time. He also has a long history of instruction and flying!

I flew with Don last year and it was my first couple hours in 7 years. I found him to be an excellent instructor, very patient and taught me several important facts about mountain flying even though I just wanted to knock the dust off.

I look forward to spending more time learning from him this year when I travel back up to Steamboat.

PM me if you have any problems getting a hold of him.

Good luck

Sorry just saw based at eagle, but if your up towards the boat look Don up.

I think Dick, the airport manager over at GWS, is still a CFI and would probably hop to EGE. Don't know. Worth a phone call though.

I've not met him but anyone who can teach students at GWS, definitely knows how to fly in the mountains. He also puts out a funny newsletter.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen it in a while do he must have the old e-mail address. Argh.

I'm looking for a mountain flying CFI to give me some instruction in mid July, preferably based at Eagle, and do some landings at regional airports including Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Steamboat Springs, etc. Please PM if you're interested or know of someone. Thanks

Don't hit the rocks. I 'll send you a bill. :rofl:

Seriously, getting instruction is a really good idea. Mountain flying is amazing and very rewarding, but also very unforgiving.

:D

I'd like to avoid any "Damn hang on Ronnie!" moments. Thanks for the hints.

Yes. Anyone on the list.

And there's always Jon Bowman at Western (BJC)

Thanks, BJC would work out great. I will try to connect with him.

Also, any suggestions on some scenic routes to fly? Routes and recommended altitudes, and times of day to fly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BJC would work out great. I will try to connect with him.

Also, any suggestions on some scenic routes to fly? Routes and recommended altitudes, and times of day to fly would be greatly appreciated.

The CFI will cover that. You're mostly worried about performance of the aircraft. The view out the window is just gravy.

Just finished my almost weekly commute from Taos to Dallas.

Flying lower than the 20's in the Rockies, my question for those that want to do it is, "how do you feel about real turbulence, wave, rotors, wind shear, microburst, and super high DA ops?" I deal with those every trip. Hitting the rocks only happens once so I don't worry about it as much.:)

Flying lower than the 20's in the Rockies, my question for those that want to do it is, "how do you feel about real turbulence, wave, rotors, wind shear, microburst, and super high DA ops?" I deal with those every trip. Hitting the rocks only happens once so I don't worry about it as much.:)
You could always fly south to Santa Fe, then east towards Dallas. Alot less hazardous in your typical GA aircraft.

You could always fly south to Santa Fe, then east towards Dallas. Alot less hazardous in your typical GA aircraft.

Most times that is the easiest way.

Sometimes the valley gets closed out and I have to go over the top.

You know how it is, look around and do the best you can.

Come to MT/Idaho Not the DA flying of CO but rugged enough for a flatlander. (I've never flown in CO) Won't bust your bank, or if you want to bust your bank got to McCall, ID.

I like my altitude if the mission is to go from A->B. Super high DA Ops? Dunno if it get's over 9 in my cherokee, I do a lot of calculating, 10K is my limit for taking off. At altitude, I don't screw with the winds, my 150HP won't put up much of a fight. I'm just a guy who flies around the mountains, I don't get into the antics of those super cub guys landing on sand bars etc..
I just today loaded up 3 BIG cottonwood trees from my neighbors yard where a microburst hit and put the trees on their side, I'd rather not mess with them in a plane. The day I moved here one hit a near by church being built and collapsed the entire structure. The mountain waves, I just make sure my seatbelt is tight (i have hit my head on the roof a few times) and try to ride it out.

Come to MT/Idaho Not the DA flying of CO but rugged enough for a flatlander. (I've never flown in CO) Won't bust your bank, or if you want to bust your bank got to McCall, ID.

Too late! Already rented a house in Aspen. :D I definitely want to go visit up there sometime though.

DA is less of an issue to me with my turbo 206. Of course it does matter, but I do have a lot of margin compared to a NA version.

I did once fly in a rented turbo 206 in the Rockies. Started out from KAPA, followed some valley directly to the west from there, through Mosquito Pass then turned around made our way back past Pike's Peak down that valley to Colorado Springs then continued on to Taos NM, then through a valley to Angelfire NM. On this particular trip we hit some turbulence close to Leadville that was bad enough we had trouble opening the double rear doors at the end of the trip (something had "moved") :yikes:. We took pictures and sent it to the A&P mechanic at the place we were renting from and he signed us off to continue. I checked the plane out VERY carefully first though. No sign of any wrinkles or anything else other than the two doors were slightly too tight at the bottom corners.

Another version of this story is NEVER leaseback a plane, look what renters do to them! :D

DA is less of an issue to me with my turbo 206. Of course it does matter, but I do have a lot of margin compared to a NA version.
Turbo 206 is a great airplane for the Colorado Rockies. :)

Turbo 206 is a great airplane for the Colorado Rockies. :)

So is a turbo 182 or Mooney 231. However, while a turbo is indeed nice to have it isn't necessary to get places in or through the mountains. It does give you more options though. If money is no object, go with the turbo. :)

So is a turbo 182 or Mooney 231. However, while a turbo is indeed nice to have it isn't necessary to get places in or through the mountains. It does give you more options though. If money is no object, go with the turbo. :)
I think he already has one. :)

I do indeed. I love Mooney's but love even more a wing that is not in the way of the scenery and a window that can open and allow me to take pictures of the incredible scenery I am flying over. :)

I do indeed. I love Mooney's but love even more a wing that is not in the way of the scenery and a window that can open and allow me to take pictures of the incredible scenery I am flying over. :)
Completely agree. :thumbsup:

Yeah, just saw that. Anyway, great choice. Makes things a bit easier. :)

I turoboed my Tiger when I lived in Colorado. It's called, back seat empty. :D

Back