Looking for Local Info on MLI......X-Post

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hello All,

I recently changed my long solo XC route to include MLI instead of SQI. Those of you who are familiar with MLI, do you have any "local knowledge" that would be helpful to a solo student?

Thanks a lot,

Purdue

MLI, that ID sounds familiar. what airport is it?

oh yea, i did a cross country with a student there one night. i dont remember anything interesting or tricky, but we just did a touch and go and headed home.

I went there on my solo XC. Nothing exciting. No tricks that I can recall. Don't think I've been back since. Sorry it's not more of a help!

Thanks guys. I thought I'd check and see if there was anything tricky... I've done my WX:fcross: dances and chants am looking forward to the goo---ah I shouldn't jynx it. I am excited though, (especially after JOT-SQI-JOT this past weekend) JOT-CMI-MLI-JOT should be a blast:yes::goofy:

Purdue

I used to work in Moline in the 1990s. Looking out my office window I saw a Swissair (I believe) B-747 flying in a pattern formation, and I drove out to MLI to see the 747 doing TOUCH AND GOES on MLI's 10,002 x 150 runway 27. It was awesome - I can only guess it was for a checkride or something.

I did my PP training at MLI in 2000. VERY VERY student friendly. If necessary, tell them you're a student on initial call-up and they'll bend over backwards to help you out if necessary.

While they tend to use 9/27 for airline traffic and approaches, if it's VFR, you can usually plan on going in on the crossing runways (5/23, 13/31). All runways are PLENTY wide and long. Be aware of displaced threshold on 23.

If you're going in at night and need to find the rotating beacon to find the airport, it's in a very hard-to-find spot. When approaching from the south, it's on the northeast corner of the property and it appears that the beacon is in the middle of a parking lot full of lights. As many landings and approaches from the south I've done there, I still have trouble finding the beacon sometimes. Just ask for vectors.

When I was training there a few years ago, the ATC facility was used as a 'training' station for folks working up to get into the Chicago ATC area - so be ready to have a fellow 'student' talking back to you from the other side. If something sounds out of the ordinary, don't be afraid to ask for clarification.

Elliot Aviation is the ONLY FBO there. Very nice facilities catering to the jet-set crowd. They like their 100LL and you have to pay a pretty penny to get them to let you have some. I would recommend finding fuel elsewhere if necessary (Clinton - CWI) just up the river is the (relatively) inexpensive fuel for that area. If you need to stop and rest your bones for a bit, just ask for progressive taxi to Elliot.

Really aren't any weird qwerks or anything. Tell them I said hello! ;)

Thanks for the input all, I've got some questions, and when I get some free time in the next day or so, I'll ask them.

Thanks again,

Purdue

Thanks for the input all:yes:

I used to work in Moline in the 1990s. Looking out my office window I saw a Swissair (I believe) B-747 flying in a pattern formation, and I drove out to MLI to see the 747 doing TOUCH AND GOES on MLI's 10,002 x 150 runway 27. It was awesome - I can only guess it was for a checkride or something.

That would definitely make for a very, very cool long XC...

I did my PP training at MLI in 2000. VERY VERY student friendly. If necessary, tell them you're a student on initial call-up and they'll bend over backwards to help you out if necessary.
Great!
While they tend to use 9/27 for airline traffic and approaches, if it's VFR, you can usually plan on going in on the crossing runways (5/23, 13/31). All runways are PLENTY wide and long. Be aware of displaced threshold on 23.
Thanks for the heads up.

When I was training there a few years ago, the ATC facility was used as a 'training' station for folks working up to get into the Chicago ATC area - so be ready to have a fellow 'student' talking back to you from the other side. If something sounds out of the ordinary, don't be afraid to ask for clarification.
Thanks
Elliot Aviation is the ONLY FBO there. Very nice facilities catering to the jet-set crowd. They like their 100LL and you have to pay a pretty penny to get them to let you have some. I would recommend finding fuel elsewhere if necessary (Clinton - CWI) just up the river is the (relatively) inexpensive fuel for that area. If you need to stop and rest your bones for a bit, just ask for progressive taxi to Elliot.

Really aren't any weird qwerks or anything. Tell them I said hello! ;)

Scrubbed today due to WX, waiting on tomorrow......:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info all,

Purdue

I recently changed my long solo XC route to include MLI instead of SQI. Those of you who are familiar with MLI, do you have any "local knowledge" that would be helpful to a solo student?
This may not be pertinent since you probably won't be staying the night. :fcross: We diverted there d/t weather on the way home from OSH one year. Since it was stormy we (I) thought it was worth it to pay the $50 overnight hangar fee. I would NOT stay at the Holiday Inn again. :no:

Ooh, Leslie has a 10:00 flight lesson scheduled. Maybe I can get her to drop me off there, if someone else could drop me back at Clow!

Didn't happen. 2500', 3mi, icing pireps, so flight canceled. Bummed!

RayJean gave up in December. Restaurant's closed. Flew GPS 36 CTL 18; took FBO car to "RPlace" 2 miles down the road at I80. It's THE spot in Morris, I guess.

Problem with this venue is ONE crew car. Sigh.

RayJean gave up in December. Restaurant's closed. Flew GPS 36 CTL 18; took FBO car to "RPlace" 2 miles down the road at I80. It's THE spot in Morris, I guess.

Problem with this venue is ONE crew car. Sigh.
Ugh. What a bummer. You should have gotten back in the plane and come over to Clow! Charlie's was open (and packed!)

Thanks guys. I thought I'd check and see if there was anything tricky... I've done my WX:fcross: dances and chants am looking forward to the goo---ah I shouldn't jynx it. I am excited though, (especially after JOT-SQI-JOT this past weekend) JOT-CMI-MLI-JOT should be a blast:yes::goofy:

Purdue

Like Grant said nothing existing and no tricks. Also no place to grab a bit to eat.

BTW I did my long XC for private 3CK-PIA-MLI-3CK

For my instrument it was 3CK-BMI-CMI-3CK

...but there are several eateries on foot, less than 3 minutes from 3MY! (Peoria, IL!)

Only icing was in the clouds. I flew 10C to Luddington and back today. East side of the lake was sunshine for almost the whole trip. Coming home I saw that most of Chicago was MVFR and some IFR. BUt I had to stop at KLOT anyways and they were reporting MVFR, 2200'MSL at 3 -4 miles when I left Luddington. By the time I go there they were 4000'BKN and 10SM vis. Around Michigan City I hit a couple of snow squalls but I could see straight through them . Put 6.1 hrs on the hobbs today. Felt good to fly!!!

Hello All,

This may not be pertinent since you probably won't be staying the night. :fcross:
Thanks for the info Diana.

I hope not either,:no: but I guess one never knows, I am aiming to be there around 11CDT tomorrow....:goofy:

We'll be at Morris at about 10:15, this Sunday!

I (obvioulsy) scrubbed myself. Did I miss the thread on C09? Mid-April sounds great to me....

Ugh. What a bummer. You should have gotten back in the plane and come over to Clow! Charlie's was open (and packed!)

Is Charlie's on field at Clow?

Like Grant said nothing existing and no tricks. Also no place to grab a bit to eat.

BTW I did my long XC for private 3CK-PIA-MLI-3CK

For my instrument it was 3CK-BMI-CMI-3CK

Thanks Scott. I should be at CMI around 1PM tomorrow...(Where is that finger cross smiley?)

Only icing was in the clouds. I flew 10C to Luddington and back today. East side of the lake was sunshine for almost the whole trip. Coming home I saw that most of Chicago was MVFR and some IFR. BUt I had to stop at KLOT anyways and they were reporting MVFR, 2200'MSL at 3 -4 miles when I left Luddington. By the time I go there they were 4000'BKN and 10SM vis. Around Michigan City I hit a couple of snow squalls but I could see straight through them . Put 6.1 hrs on the hobbs today. Felt good to fly!!!

I take it that fuel problem you had amounted to nothing? (Insert cross finger smiley here) Did you try 128.6? I'll see what I can get tomorrow....

Thanks again for the info all,

Purdue

Is Charlie's on field at Clow?
Yes, it is. In fact, I think their full name is "Charlie's @ 1C5". They're open generally until 3PM, IIRC, and Fridays during the summer they're open later for a fish fry. Nothing to write home about, but better than nothing. Of course, neither Charlies nor the restaurants at Morris can stand up to Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg.

Thanks Grant. Those have been added to my "to do list after mid April..."

Purdue

Yes, it is. In fact, I think their full name is "Charlie's @ 1C5". They're open generally until 3PM, IIRC, and Fridays during the summer they're open later for a fish fry. Nothing to write home about, but better than nothing. Of course, neither Charlies nor the restaurants at Morris can stand up to Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg.

Back