Looking for idea's for flt route from Tulsa to Craig, CO

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Scheduled for mountain flying ground school this next Saturday! I am PP only with very little Instrument training time. I have done several cross countries and have little trepidation about the trip only the mountain portion. I have around 400 hours TT

I wanted to do this at the very least before flying my T182T from Tulsa to Craig CO (kcag) or KSBS where I would spend night at home then get up next morning and fly it to Craig. . I have looked at so many possible routes (actually there isn't that many).

Do you go north towards Laramie and cross over several areas where if issues arose I would have a good exit plan. Do I just slap on the oxygen and cross over the top of DIA (not sure how receptive they are to this) and go directly across the tall rocks! Of course all this depends on the weather and winds at.

Since I haven't flown since December I intend on spending good couple hours or however long it takes with a CFI then taking my time flying up at the crack of dawn the following day. I fully intend on flying early in am and wouldn't even consider flying after lunchtime near the mountains. Who knows I may get carried away flying in the midwest stop at k81 have some good q and say hello to Terry then take off/fly until I decide to stop and stay at a Holiday Inn Express which could only help!

Thanks for the input!

Colorado pilots can tell you how to get from the front range to Craig, but as for what to do with the Denver Class Bravo airspace when you're flying VFR, I'd suggest going around it with flight following. Starting from Tulsa it will add only a couple of miles.

For example, KTUL to GLL to Craig will get you north of the Class Bravo very nicely at 619 NM vs. 605 NM direct from KTUL to Craig.

That will take you about five hours, plus any time spent refueling, so I don't see how you can possibly get over the mountains early enough the same morning that you depart, unless you take off a couple of hours before dawn. And they say you want to fly over the Rockies in the early morning.

I'm interested to see what Colorado fliers will say about going over the rocks. I'd guess some would recommend that you go at least as far north as the Colorado-Wyoming state line.

Last edited:
Typically I have flown above Dallas Bravo space with flight following without any problems. I'm kinda curious and interested how this usually sets with Denver ATC.

Of course in perfect situation I would have minimal headwinds. However I have calculated the trip multiple times direct and plan a flight time around 4 to 4:30 hours without a stop. Leaving Jones Riverside at 5:30 to 6 am I feel like I would be in good shape. Then again, flying to Fort Collins the evening before my arrival, getting up early and flying to Walden then Craig would be fine.

The little voice in my head tells me to skirt north and had towards Walden then straight towards Craig. This with a quick stretch and top off along way.

Although I could jump up to 16,500 and scoot across the big rocks it just bugs me as something I should wait until I have flown with instructor up there before. I'm not a macho, watch this kinda pilot!

I'm very interested to find out how the CPA pilots would approach this.

North through Laramie in T182? I don't think I would bother going that far out of the way in my j3c w 85hp.

If your mountain flying instructor is based here in the front range they have normal routes that they seem to like to take people to. The CPA takes people to Leadville(klXV) for your certificate via Wilkerson and trout creek pass or Kenosha pass then from there up north over Tennessee pass to Glenwood springs (1 way in 1 way out) then over to aspen. Then north east to McElroy(20v) then granny kgnb. From there straight up and over Rollins pass back to front range. You can choose to hir steamboat if you want buf after Leadville, Glenwood springs, grabby and kremlins you've had a decent tour. All the passes are marked on the sectional and there are also several mountain AWOS stations to help. See the CPA web site for descriptions of the passes.

Flying the Rockies is not a big deal if you are careful of winds aloft and density altitude. Most folks don't fly west if winds aloft at peak at height of divide is 25kts or above out of 270. You will get severe down drafts and turb. If winds are high fly higher for smooth air. 2000ft agl is good safe margin but hardly mountain flying.

In your ship you will have tons of options. Let me know if you need a recommendation for a good local CFi for a mountain checkout.

Of course I've only flown below 4000ft msl twice and it scared the crap out of me. You guys drown in all that air down there.

Sorry should clarify, I would head towards Laramie but turn left way before getting there. Most likely with mountains look little more friendly.

I have been curious about mtn flying for sometime. I'm definitely going to avoid flying after lunch time unless conditions are just forecast to be perfect. No disagreement on the winds aloft either. Approaching at mountains at angles and being prepared for some mountain chop in the sky are things I'm ready to experience.

The fella okies I knew were curious why I got a Turbo. It sure is nice to climb >12k or so and get out of the Oklahoma haze and crazy soupy humidity!

I intend on getting some names at the CPA Mtn flying course this Saturday for the flying portion in a few weeks. However I would love to get some names if you know some good ones from personal experience

Last edited:
The glider guys are all going up mid afternoon in much less capable and strong aircraft than your T182. PM me for a CFI recommendation. I did it by the CPA "book" and have learned quite a bit since then.

Are you doing the CPA ground school? They have recommendations - but I have no experience with the CPA pilots other than ground school. There are many good local and extremely experienced CFIs here in Boulder and Longmont that do mountain checkouts.

I've flown from FTG to DWX more than just a few times. Usually I head up toward GLL and then hang a left somewhere south of GXY. At dawn or a little after this is nearly always a good route in the summer. There are a few days a year where it won't work VFR. Usually those days are late fall, winter, and spring.

Going up to 16.5 works pretty well when the winds are high - then it's possible to go direct across the hills. I usually can't do this because of traffic in the Bravo but every great once-in-a-while Approach doesn't have a problem with it. SE to NW over DEN will be a problem for Approach and Center both since those are two primary ways to bring in the greater aluminum human mailing tubes. Directly E-W over DEN will conflict with departures, mostly to the east but a few to the west. If you go north to GLL everyone should be more or less happy if you stay below 10. Climb later as you approach the hills.

Back