Looking for emergency parachute

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I'm looking to buy a pilot emergency parachute. Anyone have one for sale? Money is kind of tight.

You can try the IAC magazine or web page. Do you want a seat pack or back pack? What kind of straps? If there's a skydiving center near you they may have a used rig available, since all of their pilots are required to wear a parachute during jump operations.

I like the container of Paraphernalia chutes the best, and get the best vibe when talking with the owner at EAA as well, but they would all be fine.

You can try the IAC magazine or web page. Do you want a seat pack or back pack? What kind of straps? If there's a skydiving center near you they may have a used rig available, since all of their pilots are required to wear a parachute during jump operations.

I like the container of Paraphernalia chutes the best, and get the best vibe when talking with the owner at EAA as well, but they would all be fine.
I can get by with a back pack just fine. In fact I need to add padding behind me anyways. I like the Softie's but the price is just a little painful. I've checked the local skydive center with no luck (I fly for them).

Harness? I have no idea. I just don't want to fall out of the damn thing and I want it to work.

You might try Atmosphaire Sky Diving in Ft Atkinson, WI, and ask for Bo. He packs my chutes and is an FAA master rigger. I was there yesterday, and they seem to have had a number of emergency chute rigs.

Wonder if the skydive center you fly for would be willing to give you a loaner? :dunno:

I have a Softie micro wedge with the 240 lb canopy. Solid blue with the aerobatic harness. Matching carry bag. Fresh repack 2 weeks ago. It has only been on my sons back once.
Date of mfg is 2009. Cost $2400 will sell for $1850. Its brand new.
979-451-3251 paypal or credit card ok. If you are not familiar the micro is the smallest backpack chute made.

Another reason I'm dieting and exercising... I don't know if they even make chutes big enough for my oversized carcass. Well, yeah... cargo chutes. But, still.

I have to admit, a parachute is one of those things on which I wouldn't scimp. I might not need it often or ever, but boy if I ever need it, I need it to work right now. I'd pay real money for it, and pay whatever it took to keep the thing in good working order. I suspect I'd take better care of it than the airplane in which I would be using it.

I tend to be this way with things on which my life depends.

I have to admit, a parachute is one of those things on which I wouldn't scimp. I might not need it often or ever, but boy if I ever need it, I need it to work right now. I'd pay real money for it, and pay whatever it took to keep the thing in good working order. I suspect I'd take better care of it than the airplane in which I would be using it.

Well in that case you should probably sell that old airplane and buy a new one.

One can buy a used parachute, save some money, and have it inspected by a good FAA Master Rigger and it's going to save you just as well as a new one.

Well in that case you should probably sell that old airplane and buy a new one.

One can buy a used parachute, save some money, and have it inspected by a good FAA Master Rigger and it's going to save you just as well as a new one.

Didn't mean to cause offense, and I didn't say old vs. new. Said I wouldn't scimp, and boy do I mean it.

When I got my airplane, it was far better than new, by the way.

Didn't mean to cause offense, and I didn't say old vs. new. Said I wouldn't scimp, and boy do I mean it.

When I got my airplane, it was far better than new, by the way.

I don't plan on skimping either - but what it comes down to is you pay for the years remaining in service. If you buy a 10 year old parachute it's going to cost roughly half what it would have new and you'll get another good safe 10 years out of it.

I want to get a chute my only thought is what will my pax be thinking when I strap into the back seat with it on... :dunno: :rofl:

Those Nationals for $125/each would have been nice. I had talked to Allen the day before and he didn't have them. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Of course another PoA member beat me to those parachutes and purchased them. Then that PoA member turned around and tried to sell them to me for $900/each...sent me the same jpeg that was on Allen's website, sigh. I offered said PoA member $400 for the parachute which he declined saying you can't get them for that..even though he just bought them yesterday for $125.

I'm just looking for a damn parachute..not to gouge people.

Last edited:

I did a few jumps a long time ago during my indestructible teenage years. Very first jump I had a malfunction with my main. Had to cut away and deploy my reserve. Actually the best landing I made in all 8 jumps. Awesome experience. Jump master said "Some guys never have a malfunction and are always afraid of it happening - you get it out of the way on your first jump!" :lol:

Those Nationals for $125/each would have been nice. I had talked to Allen the day before and he didn't have them. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Of course another PoA member beat me to those parachutes and purchased them. Then that PoA member turned around and tried to sell them to me for $900/each...sent me the same jpeg that was on Allen's website, sigh. I offered said PoA member $400 for the parachute which he declined saying you can't get them for that..even though he just bought them yesterday for $125.

ouch... fairly dirty dealing, there.

Wow, that's ridiculous.

I don't plan on skimping either - but what it comes down to is you pay for the years remaining in service. If you buy a 10 year old parachute it's going to cost roughly half what it would have new and you'll get another good safe 10 years out of it.

Not really. Parachutes, like any commodity, are worth what one is willing to pay.

I've bought good rigs for a very low price and turned around to sell them for more; everyone got a good deal, and I made some money. I've bought rigs for very little on ebay, and turned around and jumped them. I've still got one, and it's been a good parachute, container, and reserve. It's not a pilot rig, but a tandem sport rig...but the price was good and the equipment was in excellent condition.

Canopies generally exist by condition rather than by age, with a few exceptions.

The use gear sees, it's storage, and it's care make a big difference in it's service life.

Back