Looking for Cessna 170 with a conversion

Ruthless53

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ruthless53
Anybody know of somebody looking to sell a big engine 170b. Hoping somebody knows one that's not listed on the major sites because there's not many out there. Preferably the IO-360 or the O-360. Would consider the Franklin 225 possibly.

Speaking of Franklin I have read where they are back and running and the reputation is gaining ground again. Everything I've read says the engines have always been great but the parts and service were lacking. Has that area really improved much?

Anybody know of somebody looking to sell a big engine 170b. Hoping somebody knows one that's not listed on the major sites because there's not many out there. Preferably the IO-360 or the O-360. Would consider the Franklin 225 possibly.

Speaking of Franklin I have read where they are back and running and the reputation is gaining ground again. Everything I've read says the engines have always been great but the parts and service were lacking. Has that area really improved much?

There are two on Barnstormers now one with a 180 Franklin and one with a Lycoming 180

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_807068_1952+CESSNA+170B-180HP.html

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_765367_1957+Cessna+172TD+180HP+C_S.html

Last edited:
Got a reference for that?

Another forum only...could've been an older post. Really more intersted in hearing from y'all if the parts and support has improved. Ive looked at so many freaking websites in the last week looking for a hidden 170 I might have missed a date on the post. Found a few but most like the one on barnstormers would need a heck of alot of work (interior and paint) to get to where I want. Would be just as reasonable to buy a cherry high time 0-300 and spend 30k on the conversion.

Why would you want to convert it ?

Because I'm 6'4 275lbs and I need a more docile plane to build some tail wheel time to get back behind the 185 controls. Alot of my flying is traveling with my wife and son (soon to be daughter as well) and I need a plane I'm comfortable to fly them in. We used to have a 0-300 170 that I enjoyed flying but it didnt have the juice for a hot day in Houston with full fuel and my wife and bags. Plus she would probably not be too happy flying with me very far at 105 knots.

My dad has one of the lowest times 185's flying that is equipped with everything you could want and I know I will inherit that plane one day because he will die before he sells it. But with only 250 hours total time (40 in it he 185) I still don't feel comfortable enough in it to fly with my wife and 4 year old. Nobody uses the nose wheel besides me and it just doesn't make sense to keep it and avoid getting in a tail wheel when we own 3 awesome tail draggers.

Because I'm 6'4 275lbs and I need a more docile plane to build some tail wheel time to get back behind the 185 controls. Alot of my flying is traveling with my wife and son (soon to be daughter as well) and I need a plane I'm comfortable to fly them in. We used to have a 0-300 170 that I enjoyed flying but it didnt have the juice for a hot day in Houston with full fuel and my wife and bags. Plus she would probably not be too happy flying with me very far at 105 knots.

My dad has one of the lowest times 185's flying that is equipped with everything you could want and I know I will inherit that plane one day because he will die before he sells it. But with only 250 hours total time (40 in it he 185) I still don't feel comfortable enough in it to fly with my wife and 4 year old. Nobody uses the nose wheel besides me and it just doesn't make sense to keep it and avoid getting in a tail wheel when we own 3 awesome tail draggers.
You have 40 hours in your Dad's 185? then get proficient in it and save a bunch of money and be where you want to be.

I've seen the first plane and not impressed with the overall condition. I must have missed that Franklin plane. Looks to be a pretty nice bird but it gets back to parts and serviceability. Read some stuff that the owner of that plane wrote a couple years ago on backcountry as well as another person that watched it perform at a flyin and performance seems to be pretty impressive. Would love some real world speed numbers on a 180hp Franklin 170.

You have 40 hours in your Dad's 185? then get proficient in it and save a bunch of money and be where you want to be.

Yes but alot were travel. About 40 t/o and landing but one damn scary left quartering down wind that put the fear in me. Towered, wind switch from current atis, and no sock between fbo and departure end meant we had no idea wind had switched. Bad scenario.

I'm a cautious person in general but way more so with my family and if I'm not 100% comfortable in a plane I don't enjoy flying it. Jumping from a Grumman tiger and an archer straight to an IO-550 185 is a monstrous leap. Especially given the fact how much my dad loves that plane! I'm so dang nervous in it. It's a 1300 total time with nearly every mod you can get. I would probably be written out of the will if I scratched it and burned at the stake if I looped it.

Looks to be a pretty nice bird but it gets back to parts and serviceability.

Call Susan Prall @ 903-626-5210
Franklin Engine Company
300PR 5881-A
Jewett, Tx. 75846

ask her about the franklin.

I'm a cautious person in general but way more so with my family and if I'm not 100% comfortable in a plane I don't enjoy flying it. Jumping from a Grumman tiger and an archer straight to an IO-550 185 is a monstrous leap. Especially given the fact how much my dad loves that plane! I'm so dang nervous in it. It's a 1300 total time with nearly every mod you can get. I would probably be written out of the will if I scratched it and burned at the stake if I looped it.

Simply learn by your mistakes and get comfortable in the 185, it's a bridge you must cross one day.

If it simply tail wheel time you need you don't need the 180 horse.

Simply learn by your mistakes and get comfortable in the 185, it's a bridge you must cross one day.

If it simply tail wheel time you need you don't need the 180 horse.

I agree with you there but I would likely be stuck driving on alot of trips instead of flying and well I sure hate driving nowadays! Especially with a 4yr old. (He loves flying more than me) and it sure is nice to be able to push the crew button if he gets cranky. Running one of our business's I don't get as many days off nowadays and being able to cut a 12 hour drive to destin down to 4hrs or so. Might as well have that 125ish knot cruise and better climb if you can find it IMO.

I agree with you there but I would likely be stuck driving on alot of trips instead of flying and well I sure hate driving nowadays! Especially with a 4yr old. (He loves flying more than me) and it sure is nice to be able to push the crew button if he gets cranky. Running one of our business's I don't get as many days off nowadays and being able to cut a 12 hour drive to destin down to 4hrs or so. Might as well have that 125ish knot cruise and better climb if you can find it IMO.

The engine up grade will not increase the cruise speed of the 170, specially the -B, it is the slowest of all three models, my 48 is the fastest of the bunch, because it is the lightest and has the best useful load.

the 145 horse will do the job on all but the hottest days.

Last edited:
The engine up grade will not increase the cruise speed of the 170, specially the -B, it is the slowest of all three models, my 48 is the fastest of the bunch, because it is the lightest and has the best useful load.

the 145 horse will do the job on all but the hottest days.

9 months a year we see heat in the 90's here so that's alot of hot days. The guy saying he got 125ish knots had no stol kit so probably should expect more 117-118 with the o-360? Getting off the ground and climbing is more important than speed especially with my size and the heat its almost needed. My dad (instructor) is not very small either so becomes even more important.

And on the learning from your mistakes I'm certainly inaggreement. I know I can fly the 185 but there is little room for mistake in that plane. My confidence in my skills gets overshadowed by my nervousness on flying that particular plane. I'm not afraid of crashing it and dying. I'm afraid of scratching it and my father killing me. Obviously not literally but I would be devastated if I hurt his pride and joy. I just need a plane that I can still use for my family and confidently fly only thinking about flying and not the plane. May not make sense to some but I prefer steps vs leaps. I love how the 170 flys but with the small engine I'm going to be doing alot of airport laps and solo trips. With the io-360 or o-360 I would also be enjoying it with the family like I do the archer. It's a whole lot better engine for my purpose at the moment. Obviously the 185 would be the ultimate goal.

Buy a 180/185 sell it when you inherit your dads. Doesn't have to be as nice as your Dad's 185 to work for you.

PM me if you want pics details.
My IA in Beloit KS is building one right now from the frame up..brand new engine in the box

.he just restored a sixties Cessna 182TW..and my jaw drops every time I see it...all new skin, cowling, glass panel..has float plane motor mount and can be converted from wheels/skis/floats fairly quickly.

Thanks for the PM
Here is the 182 he made into a Tailwheel/Float/Ski its was literally several heaps of scrap and out of thin air he made this...

Attachments

• 182TW.jpg
    182TW.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Buy a 180/185 sell it when you inherit your dads. Doesn't have to be as nice as your Dad's 185 to work for you.

The 180 is a good choice for him than a 170 but they do not fly the same. there is a few 180 on the market that can be bought for less than a great 170 and a conversion. The 180 will be better training than the 170 for what he is trying to do.

But really there is no other aircraft than the 185 to train in for a 185.

The 180 is a good choice for him than a 170 but they do not fly the same. there is a few 180 on the market that can be bought for less than a great 170 and a conversion. The 180 will be better training than the 170 for what he is trying to do.

But really there is no other aircraft than the 185 to train in for a 185.

Tom your an A&P right?? Whats your thoughts on a O-340? Going to look at a local 170 tomorrow that I was told had an 0-360 but registration lists it as a 340. I know faa registers are often wrong on engines as my dads 185 is listed as a 520 and several other 170's ive seen with big engines still list a c145. I know the older hartzell props for an 0-340 have a huge 500 hour AD so I know i need to be checking all bases. Praying its a 360 but would like to know a little more about a 340 before i see the plane just in case.

Tom your an A&P right?? Whats your thoughts on a O-340? Going to look at a local 170 tomorrow that I was told had an 0-360 but registration lists it as a 340. I know faa registers are often wrong on engines as my dads 185 is listed as a 520 and several other 170's ive seen with big engines still list a c145. I know the older hartzell props for an 0-340 have a huge 500 hour AD so I know i need to be checking all bases. Praying its a 360 but would like to know a little more about a 340 before i see the plane just in case.

Yes I'm an A&P IA that has owned 4 Cessna 170s, 2 48s 2 -Bs, three of with I did complete restorations.

The Lycoming 0-340 is an orphaned lycoming of 170 horse power that is no longer supported.

Unless you want to upgrade I'd not buy it

Did you know there is a 1957 170-B that is for sale @ 32,000? That has a Franklin 165 in it from day 1. It is located in St.John BC but is a US registered aircraft. it is out of annual and needs to be brought down here to be annulled.

here are the last pictures I have of it.

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 23
PM me if you want pics details.
My IA in Beloit KS is building one right now from the frame up..brand new engine in the box

.he just restored a sixties Cessna 182TW..and my jaw drops every time I see it...all new skin, cowling, glass panel..has float plane motor mount and can be converted from wheels/skis/floats fairly quickly.

Thanks for the PM
Here is the 182 he made into a Tailwheel/Float/Ski its was literally several heaps of scrap and out of thin air he made this...

Thanks for the PM
This 182 was converted into a Tailwheel/Ski/Float Plane...it was literally several heaps of scrap when I first saw it. And out of thin air(and about $90k) he built this...he specialized in 170/180 restorations. out in the middle of Kansas..

Attachments

• 182TW.jpg
    182TW.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 14
I'm surprised OP you have a mind thing that a 170 is easier to land than a skywagon.

A good friend/instructor of mine had hell with his 170, and ultimately sold it for a 172 because the fun went out of it. Could of been gear rigging, because I let him land my 180, and he was good enough.

I tell you what, try a 180 or 185 set up on 26" Tundra's. The landings don't bounce. It's like sitting down in a bathtub.

Last edited:
A good friend/instructor of mine had hell with his 170, and ultimately sold it for a 172 because the fun went out of it. Could of been gear rigging, because I let him land my 180, and he was good enough.

Had to be something like that. I have about 300 hours in a 170 and found it to be very honest.

I'm surprised OP you have a mind thing that a 170 is easier to land than a skywagon.

I tell you what, try a 180 or 185 set up on 26" Tundra's. The landings don't bounce. It's like sitting down in a bathtub.

I know the 170 we had was alot easier to fly than either of the 185's we had (just sold one). Im not necessarily concerned so much about it being easier though. I like classic planes and would love to have a 170 that I can spend some time on tinkering with her. I also want a plane that is mine and I can fly without worrying about it being a 1300 hour no damage $200+ airplane. Being nervous about the plane keeps me from flying with confidence. I guess that's not easy for people to understand but when I fly my own plane I'm not concerned about anything but flying and that's not the case in the 185.

The skywagons are a plane you fly chock to chock no doubt.

If you can't find one, there is a cherry 170 here that's roosting in a dark hangar with a 180h.p. conversion. The owner lost his medical.

When I see him, he's in Mexico right now, I'll ask him what his intentions are with it. I would buy this bird if it weren't for my skywagon, which this same man owned and sold me. He takes immaculate care and throws $$$$ at his planes, so I know it is a good one. I've flown it. It's fast. It just needs an annual and the rust run out of it and you've got a good plane.

Heck, you can buy a 195 cheaper than a 185, get used to it and you'll never fear the 185 lol.

The skywagons are a plane you fly chock to chock no doubt.

If you can't find one, there is a cherry 170 here that's roosting in a dark hangar with a 180h.p. conversion. The owner lost his medical.

When I see him, he's in Mexico right now, I'll ask him what his intentions are with it. I would buy this bird if it weren't for my skywagon, which this same man owned and sold me. He takes immaculate care and throws $$$$ at his planes, so I know it is a good one. I've flown it. It's fast. It just needs an annual and the rust run out of it and you've got a good plane.

Where is here? Same deal with a local one here north of Houston except I don't think he lost his medical. Heard it was a cherry plane but has been sitting. Owner said he would make us a really good deal.

Heck, you can buy a 195 cheaper than a 185, get used to it and you'll never fear the 185 lol.

I wish I would've gotten on here before we sold our 185 on aerocet amphibs. Sold it last month. Before I decided to go tailwheel we were thinking hard on a 310. Yours is beautiful!!

Wish you lived closer...we would sure get along great! Been 1st mate on a sportfisher for the last 15 years. Now currently just working tournaments in the summers on 2 different boats. My first love is being 100+ miles offshore chasing billfish followed closely by flying.

Plenty of sport fishing down here, and the season is on, lots of boats heading to the Bahamas....

Plenty of sport fishing down here, and the season is on, lots of boats heading to the Bahamas....

Yeah a couple of buddies of mine took their boats to St. Thomas for the winter. I've been soley working tournaments for the last couple years. Wife and kids keeps me at home more. Before we had our son I had a job running decking on a boat in Costa Rica and nearly took it but she got pregnant. You just run motor yachts primarily or have you run any sportfishers?

Mostly yachts, but we did a bunch of sport fishing for Silver Salmon and Halibut from a 110'er in Alaska last season. Haven't run in a Marlin tournament since 93.

Back