Looking for a PIREP: PS Engineering 450 or 8000G?

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
Looks like either would do what I want out of an Audio Panel, but I wonder if the 450 is more cumbersome to use than a straight push button audio panel like the 8000G. I'm not a big fan of having to go into a menu to change something that could be done using a button, so my question is the 450 like this, or are the menus simply to facilitate its setup?

Everyone I know who has the 450, loves it. I want one, but the bastards want money for them, so I am stuck with my clunky, old PMA8000B.

Paging @mscheuer

Edit:

There is nothing wrong with my PMA8000B - it rocks. I just want the new(er), shiny (shinier) toy.

Last edited:
The 8000 isn’t bad but ya gotta remember the button combinations for the ‘advanced’ features.

The bulk of the time, I don't have to go into the PMA450's menu system to make and changes.... except to switch the mute function to Karaoke. The rest of the flight, it's just the buttons and knobs that are there.

Generally, once you set things in the menu system the way you want (especially for a single owner aircraft), you're good for 95% of the functionality.

I got my PMA-450 back in late 2014 or early 2015 - I think when it first came out. A year or so later, they came out with a revised version (PM-450A) with a brighter display and some enhancements (I don't know what). So, right out of the gate, my "brand new" audio panel was outdated. Now, they have come out with the PMA-450B, which has multiple Bluetooth connections, so mine is a real dinosaur.

I like the Intelliaudio, and I like the built-in Bluetooth and intercom. But, I went from a KMA-20 with toggle switches to the PMA-450, and I don't really like the menus.

What I like:
1. Intelliaudio - kind of a gimmick, but I do like it.
2. Bluetooth just works. I can call for a clearance, or whatever and it works great.
3. Basic operation is via pushbuttons, so most things (switching to COM 2, etc. ) are easy.

What I don't like:
1. Going to the menu for anything. I just don't like futzing with the menus. What a pain! I'd rather have buttons. I was
2. Lack of separate volume control for co-pilot. The other PSEngineering audio panels have this, but not the PMA-450. I guess it doesn't affect me much, but when I'm riding in someone's plane that has that feature, I like it.

Thanks everyone. PBurger, I know what you are talking about - I bought a new to the market PMA8000BTi and two months later it was a discontinued product. But I liked it. I did have to refer to the manual for the additional features that required multiple key combinations, etc., but once set, I never had to go back to change them. Normally I never had to access them again and for day to day flying, I found the buttons easy and simple to use. I suspect the 450 is the same and I'm not convinced the "glass" look is worth the extra $700. The only feature I can really think of would be the extra Bluetooth channel and I don't really see where that would come in handy.

Now about the PMA8000G vs. PMA8000BT... Anyone using Flightmate as an annunciator? I am a fan of voice alerts and would want this feature if it is easy to configure and easy to mute or acknowledge. Anyone have any experience with it?

Back