Looking for a pilot to fly my plane home

Which is exactly why I said I was sure the FAA wouldn't agree. I actually have the Harrington letter bookmarked in my browser I was referring to it just the other day on a different topic I was researching. You could fly it and not log it and be in compliance with Harrington in theory. Although it seems to me not logging time is problematic for them for other reasons.

Personally I think flight time as compensation is a silly notion and really needs to go away. It is unenforceable and just dumb. The fact a friend can't ask you top pick their plane up from annual because they are busy and you are willing is just ludicrous.

But that's a whole other topic. :)
Hold on. You're saying that there are regs and laws that the government imposes that make no sense? Oh, this is very disheartening indeed.

I recently bought Cessna 150F and I need someone to help me take it home. Plane is Located in Plattsmouth, Ne. (PMV) and it needs to be moved to Byron, CA (C83).

This is my first plane that I have bought with intention of flight training. I am not planning to joint the pilot though. I'd prefer a pilot who is interested to get hours on the plane and who has good experience flying Cessna 150 or 172 and alike. My insurance requires minimum 300 hours and 10 hours on the model (Cessna 150) About the plane - less than 50 hours SMOH, annual current, good condition VFR only. You can see the plane here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CESSNA-1965...ec071ea1:g:viAAAOSwsB9WB1G7&item=201528385185

You can call email me at dynamika (at) gmail dot com or text 650 669 4177. Mika
CONGRATS on the great looking plane. Looks really nice.

You could fly it and not log it and be in compliance with Harrington in theory. Although it seems to me not logging time is problematic for them for other reasons.
The FAA has no issue with you not logging time. They just require that you log time you intend to use to demonstrate currency or for training requirement satisfaction.

Which is exactly why I said I was sure the FAA wouldn't agree. I actually have the Harrington letter bookmarked in my browser I was referring to it just the other day on a different topic I was researching. You could fly it and not log it and be in compliance with Harrington in theory. Although it seems to me not logging time is problematic for them for other reasons.

Personally I think flight time as compensation is a silly notion and really needs to go away. It is unenforceable and just dumb. The fact a friend can't ask you to pick their plane up from annual because they are busy and you are willing is just ludicrous.

But that's a whole other topic. :)

This is actually one of the regs which makes a ton of sense.

It's not geared at helping a friend, it's geared at all th scumbag operators who would use this for free labor and bring in super under qualified, not even CPLs, to do what is frankly commerical work.

As far as not logging the time, the folks who would do this just for the time are by default going to want to log it, so that doesn't work.

The FAA has no issue with you not logging time. They just require that you log time you intend to use to demonstrate currency or for training requirement satisfaction.
:yeahthat:

As far as not logging the time, the folks who would do this just for the time are by default going to want to log it, so that doesn't work.
Not everyone who would do this would do it for the time. I could see a retired person doing it just for fun (although there are some safety concerns that would need to be addressed).

This is actually one of the regs which makes a ton of sense.

It's not geared at helping a friend, it's geared at all th scumbag operators who would use this for free labor and bring in super under qualified, not even CPLs, to do what is frankly commerical work.

These are the exception in my view not the rule and they are going to do it anyway. A plane should be like a car. If I want to loan it to you and not charge gas then that is my business. If I am performing a commercial operation then I agree it is different. Seems easy enough for a court to figure out.

One thing on the Ebay add on that plane (looks nice by the way). The line about if they add the 150 to the LS then it will triple in value. That is humor right there.

He already stated that it is 300 total and 10 in type. As he got insured as a student pilot, the insurance would probably have no issue to name another pilot who may not have the exact requirements (e.g. a CFI with lots of 172 time).

I doubt that. I have dealt with it several times. Unless the owner submitted a qualified pilot sheet to be named and they approved it, almost is not good enough.

The ferry pilot would have to fly 10 hours in a 150 before he would be covered. And no sane insurance co would approve someone who has never flow the model.

But what if he pays his flight time back to the owner. Example... Owner "pays" pilot 15 hours of flight time. Pilot values flight time at $10/hr. Pilot pays owner $150 for the flight time. Now everyone is even.

*not serious about this suggestion

I doubt that. I have dealt with it several times. Unless the owner submitted a qualified pilot sheet to be named and they approved it, almost is not good enough.

The ferry pilot would have to fly 10 hours in a 150 before he would be covered. And no sane insurance co would approve someone who has never flow the model.

The policy I had on my Cherokee (another trainer model) simply read that a pilot had to have a PPL and be current. There were no hours or in type requirements.

Trolls like to post a question and sit back and watch people discuss it/argue, and never come back to the thread.

Trolls like to post a question and sit back and watch people discuss it/argue, and never come back to the thread.

Or realize people want their expenses covered, plane ticket to & from, and some mad money. Someone will bite. Might be a Fed sting too...nah they wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

I think the feds already know about this. (Hint: there are feds that frequent this message board.) Something tells me they will be looking for this one to head west soon and pay it a visit along the way. I hope the pilot is prepared for a chat.

I've noticed that if you realy wanted an aircraft moved,you might be more involved in the conversation.

The policy I had on my Cherokee (another trainer model) simply read that a pilot had to have a PPL and be current. There were no hours or in type requirements.

Same here on the Cherokee. For the Bonanza open pilot is 1000hrs, 250 in type, PPL-ASEL, IR and an IPC in a A36 within the past 12 months :confused: .

I think the feds already know about this. (Hint: there are feds that frequent this message board.) Something tells me they will be looking for this one to head west soon and pay it a visit along the way. I hope the pilot is prepared for a chat.
If they had time to watch for the specific tail number based on a message board posting, on the off chance that they might catch someone on a flight that might or might not be a violation (depending on the pilot's qualifications and whether he/she logs the flight time), then I'd say it would be time to cut the FAA's budget.

If the insurance holder submits a pilot information sheet, a pilot can get approved even if he doesn't fulfill the requirements of the open pilot warranty. Anyone with Cessna high-wing experience is going to be a-ok with the insurance. Anyone ferrying a plane would want to be listed as approved pilot and obtain a waiver of subrogation (unless they carry commercial non-owned coverage).

Lol. You think a safety inspector who has 20 different 135 and 141 certificates to supervise is going to spend 1/2 a day to chase a 150 to make sure that the person flying the plane swiped his own credit card at the last pump ?

Lol. You think a safety inspector who has 20 different 135 and 141 certificates to supervise is going to spend 1/2 a day to chase a 150 to make sure that the person flying the plane swiped his own credit card at the last pump ?
Hey, I'm trying to have a little fun here. Don't ruin it!

If the insurance holder submits a pilot information sheet, a pilot can get approved even if he doesn't fulfill the requirements of the open pilot warranty. Anyone with Cessna high-wing experience is going to be a-ok with the insurance. Anyone ferrying a plane would want to be listed as approved pilot and obtain a waiver of subrogation (unless they carry commercial non-owned coverage).

That's not my experience with insurance. Ask EdFred. He was gonna ferry a plane for me and with his extensive qualifications, the answer was no. I had to find a pilot with time in model. Large, we'll know carrier did this.

Are you speaking from actual experience in getting ferry pilots on policy or shooting from the hip?

By that definition, we know he's not a troll, because he came back to thank the first person to supply a lead. And since that lead was to someone who has a commercial pilot certificate, we have no reason to assume that the lead didn't work out.

Are you speaking from actual experience in getting ferry pilots on policy or shooting from the hip?

I am talking from experience of getting named on a insurance policy for a plane that I didn't have enough time to satisfy the open pilot warranty. We have also gotten mechanics approved on our A36 policy who didn't fulfill the open pilot warranty.

Same here on the Cherokee. For the Bonanza open pilot is 1000hrs, 250 in type, PPL-ASEL, IR and an IPC in a A36 within the past 12 months :confused: .
Ouch.... That's a bit rough. How many owners actually have their own open pilot quals?

Ive got less than half the time of my open pilot clause.

Since the first lead provided was to a CFI, it's quite possible that he or she has time in type (or time in a 152, which I would hope an insurance company would consider to be close enough).

So you need to be qualified to fly the space shuttle to fly open pilot on a Bonanza. Makes sense.

So you need to be qualified to fly the space shuttle to fly open pilot on a Bonanza. Makes sense.

Not any Bonanza. Just ours. We have higher than normal insurance limits.

Gentlemen, and Ladies (if there are any here) I appreciate lively discussion and wise suggestions. If anyone else is interested please contact me privately over email. I am sorry I cannot actively take part in a discussion, I am just very busy.

How much work is it take the wings off a 150 and put em back on again

Way way more than flying the plane for that distance. You still need to ship it, build cradles for the wings etc.

To ship it to europe or south america, yes, from Nebraska to California not so much.

Since the first lead provided was to a CFI, it's quite possible that he or she has time in type (or time in a 152, which I would hope an insurance company would consider to be close enough).

C150 and 152 share the same type certificate, so yes they are the same.

C150 and 152 share the same type certificate, so yes they are the same.

The Bonanza A35, F33A, A36, G36 all share the same type certificate yet some insurance companies don't treat them the same.

But yeah, I doubt an insurance would decline to list someone who has significant 152 time as approved pilot.

These are the exception in my view not the rule and they are going to do it anyway. A plane should be like a car. If I want to loan it to you and not charge gas then that is my business. If I am performing a commercial operation then I agree it is different. Seems easy enough for a court to figure out.

One thing on the Ebay add on that plane (looks nice by the way). The line about if they add the 150 to the LS then it will triple in value. That is humor right there.

Totally, perhaps someone could make a website of all the folks you can more or less preform surgery, but aren't docs, and all the jail house lawyers who saw a bar outside of the local pub, I mean I should be able to hire folks without credentials right?

Plenty of folks trying to build hours cheap and illegal, just browse around kijiji.

I can also legally drive my car and never change the oil, have 4 different sized tires and a knocking rod as long as I buy a new $50 tag every year. Of course if the heap of junk I just described takes a dump, I just pull over and call AAA, and if I'm a horrible driver I just hit something and fall out of the car onto the ground.

Many folks looking to build hours are doing it for commercial reasons, the guys flying for fun are just out to have fun, not racing to 250 or 1500 hours. The folks who would volunteer to fly a 150 across the US are likely not some sweet do gooder retired dude.

Let's call a spade a spade you need a CPL for this flight and there is a reason behind it.

with 15 hours of flight time, i'd think you could get in your dual CC (obviously) your night times and maybe your simulated instrument.

So when you got back, you could solo (or do a solo at an airport along the way, i'm not sure how close you are to solo). you'd basically come back and start your solo CC work and be pretty close to ready for checkride.

you could get experience with airspaces, weather, flight following, etc along the way if you were willing to spend the $$ and time to take your CFI and take 2-3 flying days to get home.

You'd want to have your medical/etc ready and with you before you took off.

Dang, someone with some sense!

I am sorry I cannot actively take part in a discussion, I am just very busy.

WTF, over? You won't make a good interwebz pilot at all. Too busy to take part in your OWN thread? I don't even know what to say now......

Not everyone who would do this would do it for the time. I could see a retired person doing it just for fun (although there are some safety concerns that would need to be addressed).

If I wasn't so busy, I think it would be a hoot to put-put across the country low & slow just for fun. I'd even pay for the gas since a 150 sips so little of it.

Totally, perhaps someone could make a website of all the folks you can more or less preform surgery, but aren't docs, and all the jail house lawyers who saw a bar outside of the local pub, I mean I should be able to hire folks without credentials right?

Let's call a spade a spade you need a CPL for this flight and there is a reason behind it.
Big difference.

I'm not trained to perform surgery. I've never attended law school. I have, however, been properly trained and licensed to fly a Cessna 150/152. I've got plenty of time in the baby Cessnas, and so far, have somehow managed to return them to Earth undamaged, without a commercial license.
Perhaps I've just been lucky.

WTF, over? You won't make a good interwebz pilot at all. Too busy to take part in your OWN thread? I don't even know what to say now......
Did you forget to put a wink smiley in that post? ;)

Back