Looking for a pilot to fly my plane home

Mika P.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dynamika
I recently bought Cessna 150F and I need someone to help me take it home. Plane is Located in Plattsmouth, Ne. (PMV) and it needs to be moved to Byron, CA (C83).

This is my first plane that I have bought with intention of flight training. I am not planning to joint the pilot though. I'd prefer a pilot who is interested to get hours on the plane and who has good experience flying Cessna 150 or 172 and alike. My insurance requires minimum 300 hours and 10 hours on the model (Cessna 150) About the plane - less than 50 hours SMOH, annual current, good condition VFR only. You can see the plane here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CESSNA-1965...ec071ea1:g:viAAAOSwsB9WB1G7&item=201528385185

You can call email me at dynamika (at) gmail dot com or text 650 669 4177. Mika

My CFI does a lot of ferry flights, and is based out of Tracy. I sent him a text to see if he's interested.

What are you paying and or covering for this trip.

Looks like +15hrs of flight time, so figure 3 days worth of flying depending on weather.

Are you looking to hire a pilot?

Are you just looking for someone to do this for free?

Are you looking for someone to pay to move your plane for you, as in they cover their own airline tickets, hotels, fuel?

Call me crazy, but I would do it for free just to get the flight hours.

I sadly do not have my license at the moment. Starting Stage 3 part 141 in the next few days.

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you get your new baby home as safely and as quickly as possible.

You may find a new pilot ,that will do it for the gas. However most experienced pilots will want expenses and a plane ticket. Good luck.

Who is your insurance with? Thos are some high requirements it seems like. I have a 150 and for another pilot to fly it's who ever I want as long as they have a PPL.

Wow, 8 posts and he hasn't been accused of causing the demise of the piloting profession yet ;-)

I second the recommendation to take your CFI out there and to fly it home yourself. By the time you are back, he can solo you.

Wow, 8 posts and he hasn't been accused of causing the demise of the piloting profession yet ;-)

I second the recommendation to take your CFI out there and to fly it home yourself. By the time you are back, he can solo you.

I was waiting for that too. Hang around here long enough and you can pretty much predict the comments that will soon come along.

BTW flying for free as a commercial pilot will ruin the pilot profession!

Bought on eBay and fly across the us? What inspections have you done? I would want to make sure a thorough inspection was done before I flew it locally let alone across the country. Not that I could do it, but if I could, would want to know it would make the trip!!

I think your biggest snafu will be the open pilot warrantee on the insurance. To fly mine, you need 750 hours, 100 in model and an instrument rating. In my archer, it was 500, 5o in model and an instrument rating.

I've been in your shoes with a plane across county. If I were you, I'd fly out with your CFI and fly the plane myself. I've done it. There is no way to really get around the expense of getting it to you.

When I sold my Archer, I flew it to the new owner. But that was basically free flight hours and I got to see some country. He paid for my hotel and flight home.

I'd be all over that for fun if I was current (medical cert wise).

Jesse might be interested.

We both located in Lincoln Nebraska

Two one way airline tickets, $500/day, plus reasonable expenses. PM me if interested. (I know someone will end up doing it for peanuts.)

Two one way airline tickets, $500/day, plus reasonable expenses. PM me if interested. (I know someone will end up doing it for peanuts.)

That's about right, I'd maybe do it for a little under $500 a day on top of expenses.

If I had the time I'd do it, expenses plus 300 a day, or Id charge you 250 a day and $50hr if you wanted to come and reciece dual instruction along the way.

For anyone you would really want to fly this plane across the country the insurance minimums arnt going to be a factor as they are likely to be ATP/CFIs anyways.

I was waiting for that too. Hang around here long enough and you can pretty much predict the comments that will soon come along.

BTW flying for free as a commercial pilot will ruin the pilot profession!

There is a reason that post always comes along. I wouldn't expect a non working pilot to understand.

There is a reason that post always comes along. I wouldn't expect a non working pilot to understand.

I don't see what being a working pilot has to do with understanding the concept. I wouldn't want a bunch of others to start taking my engineering work for "fun". I never said I disagreed with the concept.

Call me crazy, but I would do it for free just to get the flight hours.

I sadly do not have my license at the moment. Starting Stage 3 part 141 in the next few days.

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you get your new baby home as safely and as quickly as possible.
Your tune might change if you did it for a living, or were able to fly whenever you wanted to. Sure, it's fun... but a lot of people enjoy things and would offer to do them for free until they do it routinely or professionally :) Take kids and programming -- they'll offer everybody under the sun a websites of some kind while they're hobbyists. Once they do it professionally, no way in hell except for a good cause.

I don't see what being a working pilot has to do with understanding the concept. I wouldn't want a bunch of others to start taking my engineering work for "fun". I never said I disagreed with the concept.

OK. Ahh, the troubles of Internet talk, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Your tune might change if you did it for a living, or were able to fly whenever you wanted to. Sure, it's fun... but a lot of people enjoy things and would offer to do them for free until they do it routinely or professionally :) Take kids and programming -- they'll offer everybody under the sun a websites of some kind while they're hobbyists. Once they do it professionally, no way in hell except for a good cause.

Plus I don't know the OP or his plane from jack. This trip requires a little skill in that low power 150 with some of the terrain, plus weather, plus it's not a IMC bird.

For a higher time pilot, and/or someone who puts food on their table with their certificates, you got a certain amount of risk involved, and that's what you're going to pay people for, time and risk.

Frankly I'd be more willing to do this trip in a higher power plane and I'd charge less for a well equipped IFR aircraft, on the flip side, I'd also charge less if it was in a J3 or PA18, just for the enjoyment factor, even though they are even more basic than this 150.

Point is not many high time pilot are going to go out of their way to help fly a 150 for 15hrs pro bono, it's not very well equipped, not a comfy long haul plane and doesn't have a lot of power for the mountains nearing CA, thus you're ether going to end up paying a real professional pilot to do this, or you're going to have to resort to risking it on a super low time inexperienced guy who's just looking to learn as he goes in your plane.

Last edited:
Looks like my comment was a couple of minutes late to the party, but that's the point I thought to make, too. Working pilots are no different than working anything-elses. Nobody wants to give their skills away for free when that's their livelihood. Lots of folks want to do it for free as a hobby before they know any better by doing it every day lol

Man I need to stop volunteering at the warplane museum I am putting a real mechanic out of work. :eek:

Personally I would go get it myself. If I were you with a CFI. You are going to be paying anyway might as well make it productive.

Man I need to stop volunteering at the warplane museum I am putting a real mechanic out of work. :eek:
That kind of thing is why I exclude "for a good cause" lol. Volunteer for a community organization like a museum is a different ballgame than something for somebody else's personal gain.

OK. Ahh, the troubles of Internet talk, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Plus I don't know the OP or his plane from jack. This trip requires a little skill in that low power 150 with some of the terrain, plus weather, plus it's not a IMC bird.

For a higher time pilot, and/or someone who puts food on their table with their certificates, you got a certain amount of risk involved, and that's what you're going to pay people for, time and risk.

Frankly I'd be more willing to do this trip in a higher power plane and I'd charge less for a well equipped IFR aircraft, on the flip side, I'd also charge less if it was in a J3 or PA18, just for the enjoyment factor, even though they are even more basic than this 150.

Point is not many high time pilot are going to go out of their way to help fly a 150 for 15hrs pro bono, it's not very well equipped, not a comfy long haul plane and doesn't have a lot of power for the mountains nearing CA, thus you're ether going to end up paying a real professional pilot to do this, or you're going to have to resort to risking it on a super low time inexperienced guy who's just looking to learn as he goes in your plane.
This trip is no milk run. It can be done safely, but there are many safety considerations for those who know enough to know what they are. Delays for weather are all but inevitable. I carry non-owned liability and property damage insurance as an ATP/CFI as well. There are costs and risks a professional has to evaluate. To the novice amateur, those are either ignored or perceived as lower due to less risk to livelihood or just ignorance. The operation might possibly required a CPASEL certificate under the regulations. Something to consider.

From how he described this he IS going to need a commerical pilot legally, unless someone is going to pay him, which I don't see happening.

Seriously, if you can't differentiate between volunteer work at a museum and undercutting professional pilots by taking a job for free then you deserve to be ***** slapped.

I'm guessing a guy buying a Cessna 150 off ebay doesn't want to spend a lot of money moving it half way across the country.

To be fair

The OP hasn't come back yet and stated what his intentions are as for paying, expecting free work, or expecting someone to pay to move his plane for him.

giphy.gif

Seriously, if you can't differentiate between volunteer work at a museum and undercutting professional pilots by taking a job for free then you deserve to be ***** slapped.

Sarcasm is the highest form of humor it is hard to get sometimes. The other differentiation I would make that the FAA I am sure doesn't agree with is sometimes you do things for friends. I can't see how moving a plane for a friend is any different than moving a car or driving a moving van for them. I personally don't see that as a commercial operation.

Auction ended first of March why he wait so long to move it?

Sarcasm is the highest form of humor it is hard to get sometimes. The other differentiation I would make that the FAA I am sure doesn't agree with is sometimes you do things for friends. I can't see how moving a plane for a friend is any different than moving a car or driving a moving van for them. I personally don't see that as a commercial operation.
This goes back to what I think James331 is saying, a PP can't even move it for him for 'free,' as in have the owner pay for the gas. Legally anyway, 'may not pay less than pro rata blah blah...' so, if he is solo the volunteer pays for all the gas.

Hours, yes. Experience, no. I had a lot of time in the pattern focusing on landings before I was signed off for solo. 15 hours of straight and level won't do that for you. But it for sure would knock out the navigation skills for you! The suggestion is good, do this!

-Skip

The FAA disagrees with you in the 1997 Harrington interpretation.

I think your biggest snafu will be the open pilot warrantee on the insurance. To fly mine, you need 750 hours, 100 in model and an instrument rating. In my archer, it was 500, 5o in model and an instrument rating.

He already stated that it is 300 total and 10 in type. As he got insured as a student pilot, the insurance would probably have no issue to name another pilot who may not have the exact requirements (e.g. a CFI with lots of 172 time).

Hours, yes. Experience, no. I had a lot of time in the pattern focusing on landings before I was signed off for solo. 15 hours of straight and level won't do that for you. But it for sure would knock out the navigation skills for you! The suggestion is good, do this!

-Skip

Who says it is straight and level ? With 2 on board and each carrying a toothbrush, they will be at gross in a 150. They also have to climb over some rocks and may have to go light on fuel. They may not fly legs much longer than 2hrs. Lots of opportunity to get some landing practice in along the way. Just because most do the rote bump&go routine in the pattern doesn't mean you can't learn it a different way.

I find it refreshing that someone is willing to take that kind of risk. Buy a plane off ebay unseen to get flight training. Of course, there are about 10 ways how this can go sideways, but obviously he didn't read the doom and gloom on this forum before he made his decision.

This goes back to what I think James331 is saying, a PP can't even move it for him for 'free,' as in have the owner pay for the gas. Legally anyway, 'may not pay less than pro rata blah blah...' so, if he is solo the volunteer pays for all the gas.

Which is exactly why I said I was sure the FAA wouldn't agree. I actually have the Harrington letter bookmarked in my browser I was referring to it just the other day on a different topic I was researching. You could fly it and not log it and be in compliance with Harrington in theory. Although it seems to me not logging time is problematic for them for other reasons.

Personally I think flight time as compensation is a silly notion and really needs to go away. It is unenforceable and just dumb. The fact a friend can't ask you to pick their plane up from annual because they are busy and you are willing is just ludicrous.

But that's a whole other topic. :)

Last edited:
Back