Looking for a PA28 with 430W

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
Anyone seen or heard of a 180HP PA28 (preferable a Warrior) with a 430W for under $50K? Let me know!

They are out there. Seen several examples of 180D's over the past year that have the 430 and that price or less. Don't know about the "W".

Set up some alerts on Trade-a-Plane and Controller and you'll get the heads up when something comes available.

Don't forget to wander down hangar row being a friendly sort, asking questions and handing out a card or flyer with what you want and your contact info. I've heard of a few pilots getting a decent price on a good aircraft that never made it to the "big market" because it was someone who knew someone who knew of you.

A Warrior would typically be 160hp. A couple have been upgraded to ArchWarriors with 180hp engines which apparently works rather well as you end up with a light Archer with the narrow cowling.

A Warrior would typically be 160hp. A couple have been upgraded to ArchWarriors with 180hp engines which apparently works rather well as you end up with a light Archer with the narrow cowling.

Yep- That's the idea.

Yep- That's the idea.

Looking for an ArchWarrior with a 430W may narrow your market quite a bit. Buy a good airframe with a good engine and put in the plastic box if you think you need it.
I have a 'plain' warrior with a 'plain' 430. Dont think I would be much happier with both items upgraded.

IIRC Gross weight is unchanged and empty weight goes up.

IIRC Gross weight is unchanged and empty weight goes up.

I have a silly useful load of 970lbs, if I lost 50lbs due to a heavier engine, I would still have plenty left. May be a concern for someone with a newer 'fat' warrior, with the late 70s models they should be ok. I would actually be more confident to take off with a 180hp archwarrior 'at gross' than the 160hp version 50lbs below.

Last edited:
I have a silly useful load of 970lbs, if I lost 50lbs due to a heavier engine, I would still have plenty left. May be a concern for someone with a newer 'fat' warrior, with the late 70s models they should be ok. I would actually be more confident to take off with a 180hp archwarrior 'at gross' than the 160hp version 50lbs below.

Yep, just pointing out that if the idea is to get a warrior and upgrade it to carry more weight, the effort would be futile. Given all things equal when you swap out the 150HP for the 180HP on the warrior, the archer sitting beside it will legally carry about 150lbs more.

My 150 has about 920 usable, 4 adults in there isn't going to happen with any sort of fuel, not with the size we grow adults in 2012, 1963 maybe. I'd probably give up range and 50lbs for 30 more HP too (Except that it would be 50lbs added in a real bad spot in the CG envelope, if my guesstimation is correct).

I konw of a cherokee 180 with full autopilot for about $55k, no broker...

Back