Looking for a new plane

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
OK, I've decided to buy a new Light Sport plane. I want one that Hubby can use for teaching in and that has a range and speed similar to (or better than) my C-172 for under $100,000. Must be grass-field compatible.

Any suggestions?

Can't give ANY information on pricing and don't think you'll get anything under 100K but I did have an opportunity to see the Piper Sport ( don't know who is selling it now or how its badged since piper dropped it) but have to say I was impressed with the plane.

Have to ask is Don thinking about teaching LSA if not why not just pick up a used Cherokee 140. Basic, reliable and a great trainer.

Maybe a used Jabiru J-230 (great range, and if non-LSA, then also good carrying capacity.)

Or perhaps the new Pipistrel Alpha trainer for US$85k (Range and speed are technically less than the 172, but more MPG.)

Flight Design CT will easily fit the Criteria, probably not a new one.
Just be aware it has light sport landing gear on it and not Cessna trainer landing gear.
One needs to know how to treat the landing gear with care when landing.
primarily don't put it in on the nose wheel.

Brian

Can't give ANY information on pricing and don't think you'll get anything under 100K but I did have an opportunity to see the Piper Sport ( don't know who is selling it now or how its badged since piper dropped it) but have to say I was impressed with the plane.

Have to ask is Don thinking about teaching LSA if not why not just pick up a used Cherokee 140. Basic, reliable and a great trainer.

It's the czech cruiser. It was that before Piper re badged it and it went back after they dropped it. I have about 30 hours in one and loved it for what it was. Very nice local plane. It shares the drawback of all LSAs and that it does not do well in strong winds. It weighs about 650 pounds and is strongly effected by the wind. Other then that i thought it was very nice and I liked the Rotax engine.

Does it have to be new?

EDIT: There's lots of LSAs out there under $100k, but I don't know about soft/grass field capability *and* 120k cruise. Usually they need wheel pants and slick design, or high lift wing and slower cruise.

Last edited:
OK, I've decided to buy a new Light Sport plane. I want one that Hubby can use for teaching in and that has a range and speed similar to (or better than) my C-172 for under $100,000. Must be grass-field compatible.

Any suggestions?

RV-12. Faster than a 172, LSA, American made, easy to fly, easy to land, burns car gas, wings are removeable in 10 mins.

It's the czech cruiser. It was that before Piper re badged it and it went back after they dropped it. I have about 30 hours in one and loved it for what it was. Very nice local plane. It shares the drawback of all LSAs and that it does not do well in strong winds. It weighs about 650 pounds and is strongly effected by the wind. Other then that i thought it was very nice and I liked the Rotax engine.

I have to disagree with the wind issue. I fly my LSA, RV12 with 18 MPH direct cross wind with no problems at all.

For $100k you can buy two 85HP Champs, an engine or two for parts, pay insurance and hangar rent for a year...

I agree with you Dan, but some don't want to maintain a plane built during the Roman Empire. :D

I have to disagree with the wind issue. I fly my LSA, RV12 with 18 MPH direct cross wind with no problems at all.

thats like... 15kts?

If the wind is steady, blowing across a flat field the light airplane will do fine up until it runs out of rudder authority.. that could be a pretty large number. But when its gusty or there is a treeline to make that strong crosswind swirl around you're going to have trouble in a 650 pound airplane.

15kt crosswind steady... 172 or an LSA would both handle it just fine

10g15 kt crosswind.. i'll take the 172 thanks!

My experience is limited to only an hour in an LSA so take it with a grain of salt.

Also not sure about the RV 12 but differences in landing speed and wing loading may make it handle gusty winds and turbulence better than other LSA's

Last edited:
Light wing loading (e.g most LSAs) = bumpy ride in gusts.

I've flown the Chief in 20G26 out of KCKB, WV (very hilly topography).

It was not fun, but it flew and I landed -- on grass back at KWAY.

And a CFI can use it for instruction?

A CFI cannot use their own ELSA to instruct others. That option expired in January 2010. The CFI could use an SLSA, but the RV-12 is only available as ELSA or EAB. So unfortunatrly the RV-12 can't meet one of the requirements.

Only SLSA (ready to fly from the factory) appear to be open options.

Edit: Information on LODAs for doing training in experimentals:
http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V03%20Tech%20Admin/Chapter%2011/03_011_001.htm

Last edited:
Yes, if we buy me a new plane, it will become our plane and Don will be training students in it. Hey, what's to keep me from getting a LSA CFI added to my ticket and train students in it, too.

What I want is a nice airplane that I can fly 100 miles or so to see the grandchildren and great grandchildren up on the Kansas border after we retire. We will have a hangar in the backyard next to the taxiway and if the airplane can handle the pasture next to our daughter's house that would be amazing. If it could be used to fly back and forth from Oklahoma to visit friends and family on the coasts, that would be the most amazing of all.

Of course, we still have the 1974 C-172 for regular flying, carrying passengers, and stuff. I am no longer flying PIC in the Cessna.

Last edited:
A CFI cannot use their own ELSA to instruct others. That option expired in January 2010. The CFI could use an SLSA, but the RV-12 is only available as ELSA or EAB. So unfortunatrly the RV-12 can't meet one of the requirements.

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V03 Tech Admin/Chapter 11/03_011_001.htm

Aww man, how will we ever learn how to make overhead breaks now?! ;) ;) ;)

what's the pasture like?
I've never walked in the pasture. Probably has stones and ruts. It's about 1/3 mile long and not as wide. One horse lives there along with any stray cattle that wander along the road. Last time I was there, they had 3 that were waiting to be claimed.

I'll put in a vote for the Kitfox SS LSA from the factory, should fit your requirements and is great fun to fly (but then again I am biased).

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V03%20Tech%20Admin/Chapter%2011/03_011_001.htm

It cannot be rented for instruction, but if you own the ELSA I believe you can be instructed in it. We had a CFI here instruct a student that built his own RV-12. The only plane he flew during his training was the RV-12.

It cannot be rented for instruction, but if you own the ELSA I believe you can be instructed in it. We had a CFI here instruct a student that built his own RV-12. The only plane he flew during his training was the RV-12.

True.
But this was not the question posted by the OP.
The RV-12 is not an option in this situation.

Sounds like you need an SLSA or a standard certificated light sport eligible to teach in it. J3, some Taylorcraft, etc. The One big question is who is going to sign off do the maintenance? On the certificated version it takes an A&P. The SLSA you can sign off if you get the 3 week class taught by Rainbow Aviation and others, cost about $4,000.
Here is the list of LSA:
http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/aircraft.html
Flight Design makes the MC, which is designed for training. Metal, more rugged, less fuel:
http://flightdesignusa.com/aircraft/mc/
I've flown the Tecnam P2008 and like it very much. I own and like a FD CTSW. I've flown a Jabiru 250 and am less happy with it, but it is probably a capable airplane. Lots better luggage area than my SW, although the newer LS probably cures part of that problem.
I operate my CT off grass often, so you'd have to decide if you would like to put students in that envirionment or not.
I am not familiar with an SLSA tail wheel, but that sounds like what you need.

Look at the FK 9 Professional or Executive by FK Light Planes. They are over $100 k, but very few all compostite or metal SLSAs are under that amount. They are rugged, fairly fast (Vh 115 kts), nice useful load of around 600lbs, good range of 420 nm and have the cost effective Rotax 912 ULS engine.

They are available in tricycle or tail dragger versions, as well as seaplane. They are also looking at offering the Lycomming IO-233,( more HP but less useful load and more expensive). We have two FK 9s as demonstrators that are used in a flight school and the instructors and students love them. Checkout http://www.fk-lightplanes.com/aircraft.php?af=1&ln=2&pg=17.

Inthe interest of full disclosure, I am a distibutor for FK Light Planes.

Also check out http://www.fk-lightplanes.com/aircraft.php?af=1&ln=2&pg=17 for a complete list of SLSAs and alot of good reviews.

Back