Looking for a good Instructor in the Twin Cities area...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I have a student that I just soloed, knowing he would likely be leaving. Sadly, he's leaving tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations for good instructors in the Twin Cities area? I'd hate to see him end up at a big school and messed up, or with an instructor who didn't care. He's done well so far and I'm really sorry to lose him as a student.
We've been training in a Cherokee 180, but I figure he'll be OK if he needs to transition to something else.
Any leads are appreciated.

Ryan

No specific recommendation but hey, it's the internet so ya gotta have a least one not so useful reply.

I've stopped by Thunderbird at Flying Cloud and Crystal on long crosscountries. Both were helpful in traditional FBO fashion. Talked to a couple CFIs at Crystal about flight over to St. Paul downtown *early* the next morning. The response, rather negative about flying in the dark, was unexpected. I don't know if that was a company position of just a particular (fairly young looking, okay, well, younger than me anyway) CFI's belief. Either way, I wouldn't suggest a student go into that environment. Single engine night flight isn't for everyone but it's an individual's choice. No night flight should not be trained into someone.

I have no idea about the Thunderbird instructors/staff at Flying Cloud other than they were a friendly and helpful bunch.

Thunderbird has shown good judgement in using low wings for trainers so ya gotta give'em some credit there.:D

Okay, now that is out of the way maybe there'll be more useful posts.

What part of the Twin Cites and how far does he want to drive?

I've done business with both Flying Scotchman at Crystal and ASI Jet Center at Flying Cloud. No real complaints about either.

ASI Jet Center was pretty "modern" with Diamond aircraft. They're a lot of fun to fly.

Flying Scotchman was rather "old school" with a fleet of 172P aircraft that they have owned since new. Incredibly well-maintained (you don't need to slam the doors) but original avionics. Paper schedule. Etc (this was in 2007).

I took flight training at Thunderbird...they have schools at crystal and flying cloud. They are a good outfit, been around since the 60's. Warriors are 105 an hour, instructors are 50.

I have a student that I just soloed, knowing he would likely be leaving. Sadly, he's leaving tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations for good instructors in the Twin Cities area? I'd hate to see him end up at a big school and messed up, or with an instructor who didn't care. He's done well so far and I'm really sorry to lose him as a student.
We've been training in a Cherokee 180, but I figure he'll be OK if he needs to transition to something else.
Any leads are appreciated.

Ryan
Depends on what side of town he's at. On the SW side I can give a strong recommendation for one school at FCM (in-flight training).

Back