Looking for a CFI in the Detroit area

sbarone99

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sbarone99
Hello,

I have my own '74 Archer II at KVLL in Troy, MI. Was making progress with previous CFI until he got a job with the FAA and had to move away. Haven't flown in over a year now and need to reboot.

I'm a business owner in the area and really want to build a strong relationship with an experienced CFI that I can be on the same page with. If you're interested, please reach out.

Steve

Steve:

I am a CFII not too far from you. I have an 81 Archer at 1D2 ( Mettetal). I have about 1800 hours as an instructor, about 8300 total. I live in Northville.

My time is pretty limited, but depending on what you need, maybe we could work together. If you are still looking for an instructor feel free to give me a call.

Stephen
248 735 0345

What sort of training are you looking for, Steve (PP, IR, IPC, flight review, transition, recurrent/refresher, etc)? And on what basis (one-time, spread-out, or intensive for a particular certificate/rating)?

Steve,

Since you are a business owner you might find hiring a CFI the same as any employee who needs specific skills in your business.

I ran an ad in the local paper and got about 13 applicants. I interviewed them or at least 3-4 of them before selecting one that I felt was well qualified and had personalty traits that would not interfere with my instruction.

In my case I wanted to fly every single day until I had a ticket the guy I met agreed to schedule 5 days a week. We still managed to fly about 3-4 days a week with the normal stuff that comes up that gets in the way. Between 45-50 days later I took my check ride and was a pilot.

Being self employed I was able to take 1-1.5 hrs a day off and make this a priority until I got my PPL. 15 years earlier I had a few false starts that went no where so I was motivated to see it start to finish this time.

Hello,

I have my own '74 Archer II at KVLL in Troy, MI. Was making progress with previous CFI until he got a job with the FAA and had to move away. Haven't flown in over a year now and need to reboot.

I'm a business owner in the area and really want to build a strong relationship with an experienced CFI that I can be on the same page with. If you're interested, please reach out.

Steve

I got my IFR through Dan Holtzclaw who worked out of Pontiac Air at Pontiac Oakland just north of you. Retired Army colonel. No candy coating from him, you'll do it until you get it right. He got an award from the FAA for flight instructing I believe also. They also have a simulator there. I took 7 days off work and we'ed do work in the simulator in the morning and fly in the afternoon. Really worked out good for retention. You'll be pleased... this isn't a guy just building his time for the airline job, it's what he does.

Tell him I said hi.

Dan Holtzclaw
(h) 248 683 2364 (c) 248 390 2550
daniel.holtzclaw@us.army.mil

Last edited:
Steve,

I'm also based at KVLL. I finished up my IR with Dennis Glaeser, who sometimes posts on this board. Excellent instructor. I can also recommend Greg Redding, who was my first primary CFI 11 years ago and who now teaches out of Troy as well. Both Dennis and Greg are with Troy Air Experience but may also freelance. I highly recommend either one.

Did I miss something about the OP needing IR training? I didn't see that in post #1. I'd like to help the OP, but I'm still looking for answers to the questions I asked in post #3 so I can help.

Last edited:
Steve,.

In my case I wanted to fly every single day until I had a ticket the guy I met agreed to schedule 5 days a week. .

With the high qualifications the OP is looking for and the "fly every single day" availability you recommended, it may be hard to find a highly qualified CFI who is also UNEMPLOYED, as that's the only way they are going to be able to work that schedule

Back