Looking at old flying notes

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Just a day or so ago I was rummaging around cleaning out old stuff and found among my old flying diaries a little note book that started when I first began flying. I could barely read it for I wrote the notes when I was 15. That was in 1959. The notes covered my first day on the job as a "line Boy" I thought I would share some of the "do and don'ts" that I was told about while working on the ramp at 15. Ikept that note book for the next two years writing notes of airport happenings.

I thought I would share some of these notes with you all.

"For fueling airplanes;

Owner/pilot must be present and encourage to do it themselves. Line boy provides ladder and drain sample tube. If owner/pilot is at the greasy diner next door, line boy must get him/her before fueling can begin.

Line boy does not put fuel caps on plane after fueling. Owner Pilot must do it.

Line Boy does not check oil; Only supply rag and oil with spout. Make owner/pilot do it and watch to see if owner/pilot puts oil cap on tight.

Determine and varify with owner/pilot fuel grade and color. This is especially important for Piper Tri Pacers for they come in two engines models the 150- burns 80 and the 160 takes 100. Do not even suggest a grade to owner/pilot if they ask, make owner/pilot look it up in their owners manual."

I could not believe some of the notes that I took in April of 1959. The airport was and still it Lee Airport(ANP) in Annapolis, MD. In 1959 it was a sod runway and had 8 airplanes based there. The owner was a delightful woman who loved to have airport kids to help out. She had of course the best plane on the field a Tri Pacer 160. She had a lot of us line boys working so that we could learn to fly.:goofy:

John J

Imagine a 15 year old kid who cares enough about his job to take notes. I have trouble just getting them to care enough to pull their pants up.

Thanks for sharing.

Thats awesome. Like a mini time capsule. I'll bet you've been reading it pretty intently lately, eh? I know I would (if I were older, and keeping a diary)

NickDBrennan said:
Thats awesome. Like a mini time capsule. I'll bet you've been reading it pretty intently lately, eh? I know I would (if I were older, and keeping a diary)

Nick, Bob,Chip and many others. Keeping a diary is hard but I learned so many years ago that from a pilot that keeping a spiral bound note book (small) works out well . I have been using pencil and I hope to give all this to my grand children so that they can learn about some of their roots.

I will be glad to share more

John

Last edited:
Back