Looking at kits...

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
Got the OK to build a kit from the Mrs. just need to find the right one so I figgured I'd post what I'm looking for and see what folks suggest.

All I want to do with it is go for a flight on a nice summer eve and have not interest in traveling with this machine.

Anyway, what I need:

2 seats, Angie nixed the idea of a single seater:sad:
Foldable/removable wings so I can take it home
Accepts small inexpencive engine that will burn small amounts of auto gas (auto conversion?) IOW TCM Lycs and Rotax 912s are out
Fits my 6'4" 200lb frame

Wants:

Open cockpit
"Different" looks
Fabric covering
slight prefference to a biplane, just cuz:lol:

Any ideas? I've looked at Sonarais and Sonex's but they just don't really do it for me.

Got the OK to build a kit from the Mrs. just need to find the right one so I figgured I'd post what I'm looking for and see what folks suggest.

All I want to do with it is go for a flight on a nice summer eve and have not interest in traveling with this machine.

Anyway, what I need:

2 seats, Angie nixed the idea of a single seater:sad:
Foldable/removable wings so I can take it home
Accepts small inexpencive engine that will burn small amounts of auto gas (auto conversion?) IOW TCM Lycs and Rotax 912s are out
Fits my 6'4" 200lb frame

Wants:

Open cockpit
"Different" looks
Fabric covering
slight prefference to a biplane, just cuz:lol:

Any ideas? I've looked at Sonarais and Sonex's but they just don't really do it for me.

I believe the Rotax 582 burns 87 octane mogas, so kits using that should presumably be OK?

I suspect asking for removable or foldable wings on a biplane might possibly yield a null set. You may only be able to satisfy one of those two criteria.

Otherwise, the Fisher Classic or R-80 Tiger Moth might fit most of your criteria: http://www.fisherflying.com/

Why is the Rotax 912 out? I use auto gas in mine.

Open cockpit + easy to fold wings is a tough combination - at least nothing springs to mind.

Preceptor Ultra Pup has easy to fold and many fly on VW conversions. But you would need to buy a kit from someone who already has one (that typically saves a few bucks too). Not open cockpit. Dunno about 6'4". No "factory" support. Looks like a 3/4 J-3 Cub.

Avid Flyer / Kitfox - most use a Rotax of one form or another. Not open cockpit. A little tight at your altitude, but you could probably tweek it a bit. My Merlin GT has a bit more room in the cockpit but does not have the wing folding ease that the others have.

Friends don't let friends fly behind two strokes.

"[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]To paraphrase the words of one long-time Rotax service-center operator, the main problems involving the engines stem from many of the same types of problems—poor judgment, misuse, mismanagement and poor maintenance—befalling all aircraft."

...and...

[/FONT]"[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Care, feed and operate the engine as it needs and chances are you’ll get service just as good as expected from the mainline brands Lycoming and Continental." From:

[/FONT]http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/airplane/LSA-Engine-Safety.html

picky picky. i believe there are people who have modified flybaby biplanes to two seaters. or perhaps a Pietenpol would be the way to go. Model A engines should burn auto gas just fine :)

just get an RV-12. there really aren't a lot of options for kit airplanes and from my impression a kit from van's is going to be far superior to any other kit on the market.

While I am a fan of the 912s they are a little costly for what I'm after with this plane.

I suppose I should prioritize my needs/wants
Folding wings>open cockpit>biplane

Try this handy list of models:

http://www.homebuilt.org/kits/kits-acftdesc.html

If you can find out what the status of the Sherwood Ranger ST model is (the link provided in the above web page goes no where,) it might satisfy all your requirements. I think this is the correct web page: http://www.g-tlac.com/

just get an RV-12. there really aren't a lot of options for kit airplanes and from my impression a kit from van's is going to be far superior to any other kit on the market.

An RV-12 doesn't really fit the "cheap" aspect, though. The total kit (including engine and avionics) is just over $60k.

An RV-12 doesn't really fit the "cheap" aspect, though. The total kit (including engine and avionics) is just over $60k.
It's also to "practical" I have a usable airplane.

In a perfect world this would be a plane I can store at home, trailer to the airport stopping for fuel at a gas station along the way, unfold/install the wings, commit aviation on the cheap and then take it home again.

Maybe I'm smokin dope but while I can't give up the utility of my 182 it's a little much for a Sunday morning joy ride. But if I can't take the plane home at the end of the day, well I can buy enough avgas for the price of storing an airplane to scrub the project.

I bet there are a slew of ultralights that fit the bill. Weight shift thingies, and powered parachute toys. They mostly look like fun, too.

A kitfox would be a nice, fun little airplane. No folding wings, though?

A kitfox would be a nice, fun little airplane. No folding wings, though?
KA%20Gallery%2000029.JPG

Back