Looking at Comanche 260 today

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
So off to fly to look at the Comanche. Any last suggestions?

Go for it great airplanes check bladders ,gear bungees,avionics. Most of the Comanches have dated avionics.

Go for it great airplanes check bladders ,gear bungees,avionics. Most of the Comanches have dated avionics.

If it looks great it probably is great. How ever depending on how long it sat in the estate, engine could have issues. it is an easy thing to check compressions, oil analysis history- cylinder cracks, exhaust leaks (with he vacuum hose blowing in the exhaust to check).

This is a B model or C model with G430 and Stec so that should be good. The B and C models have the T panel rather than the shot Gun of the pre 64 models so that should be good as well. T-panel was one of my requirements when i bought mine. I also preferred electric flaps and copilot foot pedals on later models.

Since the bladders are $800 ea and a few hours to replace it is a good idea to see if they have already been replaced. far as I know they seem to last 50 years so if replaced 10 years ago you are still good. By now most if not all should have been replaced so if they have one or two not replaced you can bet that will cost you an AMU within the next few years but a single AMU is no big deal. Comanche B/C has 4 tanks 90 gallons the logs will list the dates of change of the bladders.

Just make sure all the avionics works or start deducting avionics-autopilot. Glass is not real expensive but it should be clear glass. Single piece windshield is a great mod but most do not have it.

It is highly preferable to have a Comanche specific mechanic check and rig the landing gear. I almnost had a gear up when I could not get the landing gear nor the emergency landing gear extension to work.

Ad's:
2 blade Hartzel 500 hr prop inspections or IRANs or OH's cost about $2k
1000 hr 10 year landing gear inspection also averages $2k in parts....
Tail horn is the most recent AD 8 hrs to complete you can assist with it: every 500 hrs, if it fails then $600 for a new horn on top of the 8 hrs but then you do not need to recheck it for 1000 hrs.
Some 260B's have a fuel injection servo ad which is literally feel if tight- inspect servo every 100 hrs to make sure the nut it tight, not a big deal.

I think that is all on the continuing Single Comanche 250/260's AD's.

it is nice if all the hoses have been replaced within 5 years or so for sure within 10 years. Hose replacement runs about $800 or bit less if you shop around.

Bungees are only $27, most pilots replace them every annual or every other annual as they are so cheap and its a 10 minute deal with the Comanche bungee tool.

Comanches were zinc anodized at the factory so you rarely find corrosion in them.

Wasn't a B or C. Instruments all over the place. Useful load less than I thought. Family friend says oil consumption is 1 quart every 3-5 hours. Biggest question is during steep turns top of wing looked like metal was buckling around rivets.

Problem with Comanches that I often come across is that for many years they were considered a "poor man's Bonanza" and were operated and maintained as such, by people whose means it was stretching.

Problem with Comanches that I often come across is that for many years they were considered a "poor man's Bonanza" and were operated and maintained as such, by people whose means it was stretching.

Often the case. My experience in looking at maaaaany was they were either as described above or pristine. Very few in between.

Of course Henning, you are familiar with Av's bird....

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln . . .

Wasn't a B or C. Instruments all over the place. Useful load less than I thought. Family friend says oil consumption is 1 quart every 3-5 hours. Biggest question is during steep turns top of wing looked like metal was buckling around rivets.

Often the case. My experience in looking at maaaaany was they were either as described above or pristine. Very few in between.

Of course Henning, you are familiar with Av's bird....

Oh yeah lol, but it took a lot to get it into that condition.

Sounds like a $20k plane.

That is very disappointing. I'm sorry. Guess we all kiss a lot of toads before we find our princess.

I wish I could remember all the planes that somebody has heard about or have been touted or whispered about as being great "finds" only to turn out as just another old warted airplane looking for a home.

The appropriate action at this point is to scratch it off the list and move on to the next one on the "most desirable on paper" list. Don't be surprised if you are underwhelmed by the selection and quality of those you see.

Back