Long XC Yesterday

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
Left M17 Friday at 8:00am, flew to Corinth, MS (CRX), overflying Walnut Ridge, AR (ARG) and (to keep clear of MEM's Class B) Covington, TN (M04) to pick up my wife, Mary's, father.

He's 84, and a former Consolidated B-24 pilot. He was on his way to the west coast (along with several thousands of his fellow Airmen/Soldiers/Marines/Sailors) to be shipped out for the "big invasion" of Japan when the Japanese surrendered. He never flew the plane in anger. After being processed out, he returned to the new USAF as an enlistee, and retired some twenty-five years later. We're going to take him with us to see the Cardinals host the Braves (he's a Braves fan--but that's ok;) ).

Boy, was it hazy (entertained going to 7500, was too hazy and couldn't see any semblence of a horizon--went back down to 5500)! And bouncy in CRX's pattern, with the suggested field being with the wind a little, so I floated awhile. Took me just at three hours to get there. Checked his weight and luggage, figured how much gas (it was hot, hazy, and bouncy) then left for ARG. Settled for 4500, as I didn't want to dip into reserves just trying to buy the extra 1000ft. Worked hard at making it smooth. Ralph was a trouper, following the Memphis and KC sectionals as best as he remembered (and there's a whole lot more on them now than there used to be back in the '40s).

About 20nm out from ARG their AWOS starts reporting "lightning distant west"; plenty of time, but I can make out the (still hazy) anvil spreading out to the west and south. Land, stick the tanks, figure up how much to add, watch the fuel truck splutter and die (ran out of gas), looked for some tie-down rope, got it tied down before the storm hit (it never did--went north/northwest). The B737 cafe had already closed, but invited us in and we guzzled some Arkansas sweet tea. Boy did it taste ever so good! That I was dying of thirst contributed, I'm sure...:cheerswine: Looked at the radar, saw lots of activity popping up around SGF, right in our planned path, so off we went to the WRAAF training field museum. A nice place to visit, friendly folks (everyone we met).

The cafe opened at 5:00pm, so we, along with some hundred other folks (but it was a slow night, said one waitress) enjoyed catfish, &c. A young lady assured me that there were only as many calories as I wanted in the dessert.

Meanwhile, even though the airport terminal/FBO had officially closed, the manager remained there to watch the radar. In he comes to the restaurant, locates us, and gives us a PIREP that it looks like a window has opened up, so, off we go to the flight planning office, I look at several screens, call up FSS (and they were most helpful, including a brief meterology lesson on what an outflow looks like on radar, especially when in the loop mode--fascinating!), and so off we go! Sump the tanks, preflight, punch M17 into the iPAQ's AnyWhere Map, depart RWY 36, turn to 305deg, and head for home. MEM Center can't see us on radar, but she's kind enough to keep us in her thoughts and frequency, and suggests that when we get to within some 75mi from home, contact KC Center.

KC Center follows us, then they hand us off to SGF Approach, which keeps tabs on a little cell of heavy rain just east of M17. Dodge around it to the south, then line up for L. Downwind for 18. Patrick gets on unicom just as I turn base, suggests that the wind is Northeasterly, so I break off and convert my base to L. Crosswind for 36, and get us down easily.

The flight between ARG and M17 was silky-smooth, with vis. not all that good. However, between pilotage and GPS, we stayed on course, and used not too much fuel.

Lessons learned: My right hamstring doesn't like three-hour stints without moving (although I would work it when the going was smooth) 1.5 hours is a not bad limit. Perhaps a 172's seating would be more comfortable...).

I was too busy, due to the <10mi vis. to take photos. Only took one.

Same thing with drinking from the thermos. Clearer days, probably different.

MEM's controllers are incredibly great! Didn't even ask for it (steering clear by flying a dogleg via M04), they still gave me clearance into Class "B"! Lotsa radio chatter, listened in, learned a lot.

SGF's controllers are great too, especially when you confess being a rank amateur.

Weather! Keep ahead of it, even if you don't have 496/WAAS/XM/Sirius/Bells/Whistles!

Know your abilities, know that you have the ability: Had landed in CRX once or twice in a 172 with a CFI last year on vacation; never landed at ARG. read the plates and the AFD, then follow the rules.

All in all, a productive 6.6 hours PIC in my first really long bona-fide XC. It even required two separate sectionals!

Boring, I'm sure--but it was fun work for me any way.

Later,

Jim

Nothing boring about it.....

Sounds like a learning experience along the way and i'm sure the trip brought back many fond memories for your father in-law. Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Great write up Jim. Glad the trip went well. For those of us who live in these parts, we can appreciate the hazy conditions!:yes:

watch the fuel truck splutter and die (ran out of gas),
The fuel truck ran out of gas? That's funnnnnny. :D

The cafe opened at 5:00pm, so we, along with some hundred other folks (but it was a slow night, said one waitress) enjoyed catfish,
We've eaten there before...not a bad little place.

Meanwhile, even though the airport terminal/FBO had officially closed, the manager remained there to watch the radar. In he comes to the restaurant, locates us, and gives us a PIREP that it looks like a window has opened up, so, off we go to the flight planning office, I look at several screens, call up FSS (and they were most helpful, including a brief meterology lesson on what an outflow looks like on radar, especially when in the loop mode--fascinating!), and so off we go!
We got weathered in at that airport before...once in a dust storm. Nice FBO and friendly people. The same goes for Corinth too. :)

All in all, a productive 6.6 hours PIC in my first really long bona-fide XC. It even required two separate sectionals!
Sounds like you enjoyed your trip Jim. :)

Back