Long term storage unused backup battery

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I came into possession of a Uverse Belkin UPS ("residential gateway backup battery").
It is still in the sealed box, unused. I can't tell what type of cell it is.

If I might need that in a year or two, is it best to store uncharged, or charge it once and store it, or constantly charge it?

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-product/?pid=01t80000001zrPYAAY

Go to the web site,they usually post shelf life. Also usually post storage tips.

If you can find it, you are a better man than I. Went there first. I even called them.

From the FAQ on the site you linked to:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=63333

8. How long does the BU3DC000-12V, BU3DC001-12V RG Battery Backup take to fully charge a battery?
It takes approximately 18 hours to charge a new, fully depleted battery at normal indoor temperatures. If a power outage occurs before the battery is fully charged, the battery backup time of up to 4 hours will be reduced. Therefore, you should not rely on battery backup power for at least 18 hours after the RG Battery Backup is initially installed or a replacement battery is thereafter installed. During these periods, especially, and at all other times in general, you should ensure that you have an alternative means of dialing 911, such as via a cellular telephone. Your AT&T U-verseSM Voice service, including 911 dialing, will not function without electrical or battery backup power. Battery charging times may vary depending on use.

: 14. Why won't my RG Battery Backup turn ON after I kept it in storage?
When you store the RG Battery Backup for an extended period, it must be plugged in and allowed to charge for 24 hours once every 3 to 6 months. Unless this is done, the RG Battery Backup batteries will discharge to an unrecoverable point and the RG Battery Backup will require new batteries.

I believe #14 refers to a battery that has received its first charge.
This is for a virgin battery off the shelf.
Thanks

Back