Long Term Disability Insurance

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm looking to get some long term disability insurance and everyone I've spoken with so far has a General Aviation exclusion, are there any pilot friendly providers out there? Does AOPA or EAA or any other pilot group have any sort of coverage available for this?

Also, I work in IT and sit on my butt in the comfort of my home the vast majority of the time and the quotes I've gotten for insurance so far have been very expensive (best is $270/mo., but that includes a few riders). It's not like I'm working with dynamite and heavy machinery here, so I wasn't expecting coverage to be so high. My wife has coverage through one of her professional organizations for just $90 a quarter, which makes the quotes I've been receiving pretty comical.

I have an AD&D policy from ING/Reliastar. No exclusion for GA. It's not a long term disability plan per se, but it does pay a % of policy benefits for disabling conditions that become perm & stable. % varies from 25% to 100% depending on what the injury is.

Payment is lump sum and it would be up to me to invest that to earn a return to live on. Since I believe that anyone my age should already HAVE investments paying a return, or capable of paying a return, this would only add to them.

My plan is through my professional association but the rates are half of what your spouse pays for $250K coverage on a 55 yr old male. Could maybe go as high as 1 mil coverage for equal to what your spouse pays per qtr.

My plan also covers the family (at a lower percentage payout) so you should look into whether your spouse's existing plan does cover you, or can be changed to include you. Assuming, of course, that her plan doesn't have the GA exclusion in it.

Caveat: I am not an insurance dude and only generally understand insurance. So, maybe what I have for death & disability coverage isn't what you're looking for.

Back