Long Solo XC Report

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Yesterday, as mentioned before, was my long solo XC. The route that I had chosen was KAID->KVES->KAOH->KAID. This was to be my first trip to two new airports with out an instructor!

I planned the flight and picked out lots of waypoints along the way. My chart now looks like my son used it as a coloring book! But that's OK, it'll get reshuffled in a few months anyways.

The first leg of the flight over was some of the best flying that I've enjoyed by myself. I left almost an hour early so the skys were blue and beautiful and the air was really really calm. I spotted my airport about 15 miles out and just did a straight in to RY 9. I found a really nice airport manager to sign my log book and got back on my way.

The trip from VES to AOH took me over the Neil Armstrong airport and I could see Grand Lake off in the distance - very very easy landmark to spot - the only factor was that the haze was limiting visibitility to just about 15 miles.

Upon arriving at AOH I used the name on the sectional chart (Lima) and called "Lima Traffic" and continued to use that as I entered the pattern (nonstandard) and landed. After getting my log book signed and taxiing out to depart a couple of other planes came in and were all calling "Allen County". I wish the proper name could be printed SOMEWHERE!

After departing (Lima) Allen County for home I decided to climb up to 4,500 in search of smoother air (the thermals were starting down low). After getting up to 4,500 and levelling out I started to lean out the plane. I immeditatly noticed that the plane just started running rough. RPM's were going up and down by +/-50 and the cowling was vibrating like I've never seen before. I immedtialy pushed the mixture back all the way into full rich and it didn't stop. My heart skipped a beat when the vibration didn't stop. The RPM's continued to vary - so I turned for the nearest airport and started a descent. I then thought for a minute and decided to run a check of all systems. Throttle, mixture, fuel quantity, fuel selector, mags - MAGS - MAGS!! I had apparently not turned they key all the way back to both after doing my run up and sometime after departure if flipped back left. I turned the key to both and the engine smoothed out nicely, what a relief. I gave it a minute or two to make sure the problem was truly fixed and then turned back on course and climbed back up to 4500 for the rest of the trip home.

As soon as I crossed the Ohio border into Indiana it was like someone turned on the riding bull. My cell phone actually left the passenger seat and hit me in the arm (thank god it's a small bugger). I slowed down to Va and it calmed a bit. I hung with it as long as I could and then just let the plane slowly descend (about 150fpm) until I finally got home.

It was a great flight. :)

Sounds like you had fun and learned a thing or two, you just can't beat that!

BTW the engine should run smoothly on one mag albeit at a very slightly reduced power output. Assuming the mag check was OK on the ground, I'd guess you have a bad wire or weak mag problem which should be looked at. If this is a rental, you ought to squawk it. Just say it runs rough on the (left?) mag at 4500 MSL.

Good stuff, Mike! Sounds like a good flight (even with the squawking mag).

Sounds like you kept your cool in face of what could have been a not very cool situation.

I'm just curious why you chose a straight in approach to your first airport? I don't necessarily think there's a problem with it, but I'm just curious why you chose that instead of entering on the downwind.

EDIT: That sounded harsh. There's nothing wrong with a straight in, I was just picking your brain.

Last edited:
It's a club plane. I talked to the IA at our home base about it and he said I was probably in the process of fouling the plugs and that's why it was running rough - I just took his word for it. I flew it again today and I didn't notice anything different than usual when doing my run ups.

NickDBrennan said:
I'm just curious why you chose a straight in approach to your first airport? I don't necessarily think there's a problem with it, but I'm just curious on the decision making.
Well the decision was made because I was flying a heading of 090 and RY 9 was the RY favored by the winds.

Nice going :) Good job keeping your cool and flying the plane when things seemed like they may not be going so well.:cheerio:

Man, how did you get off the ground with only one mag? The only time I have done that, the power loss was noticeable and I aborted the take off.

Of course, we were on a 3000' strip. When I couldn't get full rpm and normal acceleration (60mph by the top of the hill), I aborted.

inav8r said:
It's a club plane. I talked to the IA at our home base about it and he said I was probably in the process of fouling the plugs and that's why it was running rough - I just took his word for it. I flew it again today and I didn't notice anything different than usual when doing my run ups.

Could be you had a fouled plug that's cleared itself, but I'd try a mag check at altitude again to be sure.

The Old Man said:
Man, how did you get off the ground with only one mag? The only time I have done that, the power loss was noticeable and I aborted the take off.

Of course, we were on a 3000' strip. When I couldn't get full rpm and normal acceleration (60mph by the top of the hill), I aborted.

The loss on one mag shouldn't be that drastic, maybe a hundred RPM or so at full power.

lancefisher said:
Could be you had a fouled plug that's cleared itself, but I'd try a mag check at altitude again to be sure.
Bleah, and I was up to 4,500 again yesterday. I won't be flying again until Monday perhaps.

lancefisher said:
The loss on one mag shouldn't be that drastic, maybe a hundred RPM or so at full power.

Yeah, I talked it over with Dave (My CFI-A&P-IA-etc) this afternoon. Mostly, we chalked it up to it being my plane vs a rental. I KNOW what normal RPM at throttle up is and I couldn't get it. 75-100 low at full throttle. Being on a 3000' runway, that I normally use more than half of (Uphill from either end), I am more aware of the takeoff roll than I would be with 4000+

Back