Long Island Arrow & C152 mid-air, both land ok

I saw that on the local news last night when I was TDY in White Plains...pretty hair raising, I'd imagine.

That will make for a more interesting tail with both alive to tell the story.

Has anyone heard more on the Tula crash last week?

From Avweb (audio attached):

A reader sent us the tower tape clip of the exchange between a smooth, professional air traffic controller at Republic Airport on Long Island and the pilot of a Piper Saratoga who'd been in a midair collision with a Cessna 152 last Sunday. As we reported on Monday, both pilots were able to land their aircraft without incident but the tower tape reveals just what it takes to recover two damaged aircraft on the same runway during a busy period at a large GA airport. The first call from the Saratoga pilot comes about 2:15 on the audio file, but listen to the whole thing to get a feel for what the controller was up against in getting the damaged aircraft on the ground without anyone else (including a student launching for his first solo) getting in the way or into trouble.
This is a great learning tool.

Attachments

• FRG_MidAir_TowerAudio.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
Wow, thats intense...

I was gripping my seat rests listening to that when they were coming into land.

Thank G-d this turned out ok!!! someones shorts are going in the trash. Controller did a great job. Even had a student at the hold short on his first solo Sheesh:hairraise:

Back