Long flight to San Diego

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
The flight out from Dallas (Addison) to San Diego was sure a long one Thursday.
We had 50 knot winds almost off the nose for the entire trip and turbulance: what fun!!
I had decided to take the Baron to build my twin time (because I'm making offers on another Baron) which limited my flight envelope quite a bit (as far as altitude alternatives and range).

We tried to stay low leaving Addison (filed at 8,000), but that soon became very bumpy. Actually, departing Addison was a bit tricky as high winds created a lot of chop from rotation up to 2,500 feet. The plane had two adults and three teens in it and lots of stuff. I was taking a friend to Palm Springs: his father was giving his daughtere a car; so, I was flyinging him, his son and daughter out so they could pick up the car and drive it back. I have another friend with family in PSP and dropped their son off for the weekend.

We had ground speeds as slow as 125 knots for part of the trip, and seldom saw over 150. This is with the plane trueing over 180. The headwind wasn't as hard on us as the constant chop. From Dallas to El Paso wasn't too bad except for the climb and decent. From El Paso to Palm Springs got pretty bumpy. One of our young pacs got sick in the back around Tucson. Before she could find an airsick bag or other convenience in which she could deposit her lunch, it came up. The good part was it was chicken ceasar salad (could have been much worse). The bad part was it had a distinctive odor we all got to share until we landed.

At 10,000 between Phoenix and Vicko intersection, we were at 0 c in visible moisture. Began getting a little ice on the front of the wings. We watched it carefully to see if we should climb or decend, but it stayed very small. When we turned left to PSP, we broke out and it became a non-event.

Gas is sure a deal at PSP. Signature was just over 4.10 per gallon and had a fuel tax charge on top. They did waive the $23 ramp fee--my lucky day I guess!!

PSP to SEE was easy except it was IFR in clouds at freeze level again. The Localizer D approach was working fine, but So Cal can really turn you late and drop you down quickly. I was prepared for that and had the power back early. Putting the gear down is a great speed brake in the B-55. Four miles out we couldn't see the runway because the sun was right in out eyes, but we soon got low enough to have clouds block it and we got in fine. It was late, over eight hours of flying by hand (the auto pilot is out on this baron) and was just a little uncomfortable shooting the approach with equipment I wasn't taking care of myself. It all worked, but I was double checking everything. Ceilings we 1,000 over the MDA, but still a challenge coming down throught the buildups, over the mountains in chop with a plane I don't maintain.

Please wish for us to get tail winds on Monday. This flying into 50 knot plus headwinds that are bumpy is for the birds!!

Best,

Dave

Dave, Thermal (KTRM) is usually a better deal than PSP, but you will get a slam-dunk. Millionair treated me well. Last time through, it was like $.50/gal cheaper at TRM.

It's on the south side of Palm Springs.

Good luck on the tailwinds. May still be a bit rough if the winds are high over the mountains.

Dave Siciliano said:
We tried to stay low leaving Addison (filed at 8,000), but that soon became very bumpy. Actually, departing Addison was a bit tricky as high winds created a lot of chop from rotation up to 2,500 feet.

We had ground speeds as slow as 125 knots for part of the trip, and seldom saw over 150. This is with the plane trueing over 180. The headwind wasn't as hard on us as the constant chop. From Dallas to El Paso wasn't too bad except for the climb and decent. From El Paso to Palm Springs got pretty bumpy. One of our young pacs got sick in the back around Tucson. Before she could find an airsick bag or other convenience in which she could deposit her lunch, it came up. The good part was it was chicken ceasar salad (could have been much worse). The bad part was it had a distinctive odor we all got to share until we landed.

This is just the situation in which one goes up to FL 18 accepts the 190 airspeed and 70 knot headwind, thanks the lord above for smooth air, and there we sits. I can't imagine flying long X/C w/o turbochargers anymore. The low down stuff with turb is just BRUTAL.

Wow, what fun. 8 hours handflying in the bumps with sick pax. The strong NW flow sustained over the last 3 weeks is now more of a W or maybe SW flow. In any case, I imagine you'll have a right quartering tailwind. That is unless something pops up from the gulf of MX.

I am surprised you had ice down low over E CA.

I missed the headwind going west this week Dave; Austin -> home I managed to find a 10kt tailwind down low. Whoo-hoo, kinda rare. Also got a huge push on the way there at 13-5 like 35kts; record time to Austin. Fredericksburg Tx fuel $2.99 at the north end:)
We are ready if you want to drop in this time - but won't be free til late Monday, otherwise a raincheck?

Thanks Dave:
Hope it's not really a "rain check"!! Would prefer to do it a time when I can go directly there instead of stopping because of limited range; then making another stop at your place. Let's coordinate something in the middle sometime. We can just link up. Trying to work in extra stops on these long trips gets a bit hectic.

Dave

bbchien said:
This is just the situation in which one goes up to FL 18 accepts the 190 airspeed and 70 knot headwind, thanks the lord above for smooth air, and there we sits. I can't imagine flying long X/C w/o turbochargers anymore. The low down stuff with turb is just BRUTAL.

I sure agree Doc. The B-55 is a great little sports car. Short hops up to 10K are great. Long trips mean stops compared to my A-36. Non turbo really takes away a lot of flexibility as far as altitude.

Gotta memtion, I believe the most dangerous flying I do is when building time to meet insurance requirements in rental planes before I can buy one and fly it!!

Before I could get insured in my A-36, the insurance company wanted 50 hours in that plane. Even though I had C-33; and F-33 time, they wanted A-36. So, being the planner I am, I began flying a rental A-36 to build time while searching for the plane I would buy. The A-36 was nice, but still not equiped and maintained on a par with a plane I would own. There were a couple of times I pushed the edge a little because things broke down while I was "building time" in make and model. If I had maintained the plane, many of these banaid fixes wouldn't have been tolerated.

Here I am again making offers on P-Barons and they want time at least 150 multi time; then dual in a 58P. So I'm flying a decent plane, but the AP and several other things would be working on my own plane. Here I am hand flying at 8,000 feet so I'll be insurable when I close on the Baron.

Interesting huh? Yes, I could wait and just get dual in the P, but it's a real downer to purchase a plane and not be able to fly it. Did that once before and learned a great lesson when it took six months between work and two CFIs that bailed (one lost his medical and the other changed jobs and moved).

Best,

Dave

Richard said:
Wow, what fun. 8 hours handflying in the bumps with sick pax. The strong NW flow sustained over the last 3 weeks is now more of a W or maybe SW flow. In any case, I imagine you'll have a right quartering tailwind. That is unless something pops up from the gulf of MX.

I am surprised you had ice down low over E CA.

Yes, Richard, there is still ice in them thar clouds in Eastern CA at 10M in April!!

You probably saw there was a little low that passed through and dropped some rain in So. Cal. From PSP to SEE they bring you up to 10 going west and 9 east which put me right at 0 C. West of Phoenix to PSP also was 0C at 10M. Lower MEA wasn't an option going west, but the ceilings weren't that low if I wanted to descent to VFR and lots of bumps. There were plenty of outs, but 10M was preferable if the ice didn't accumulate (which it didn't). We were close to tops, so, higher was also an option if one didn't mind a hover like ground speed :).

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
The flight out from Dallas (Addison) to San Diego was sure a long one Thursday.
We had 50 knot winds almost off the nose for the entire trip and turbulance: what fun!!
I had decided to take the Baron to build my twin time (because I'm making offers on another Baron) which limited my flight envelope quite a bit (as far as altitude alternatives and range).

We tried to stay low leaving Addison (filed at 8,000), but that soon became very bumpy. Actually, departing Addison was a bit tricky as high winds created a lot of chop from rotation up to 2,500 feet...

Please wish for us to get tail winds on Monday. This flying into 50 knot plus headwinds that are bumpy is for the birds!!

50 Kt headwind! Well you did want to build time, right?

As long as you are reasonably light, say a few hundred under gross, you ought to be able to get decent TAS up at 13-15k. You do have to run higher RPM (2450-2500 is good) but you can still get 170-175 KTAS at peak EGT which is an OK mixture up there where the power is down due to the thin air. More often than not I find myself up fairly high to avoid the bumps, and it seems like despite winds aloft forecasts to the contrary, going above the bumps doesn't seem to slow me down all that much and it sure is more pleasant. Of course you need a portable O2 system if the plane doesn't have built in Oxygen.

Are you seriously considering a 58P? I'm not very fond of them as they come with all the problems/costs of turbos and pressurization without much of the benefit (something like 3.5 psi max differential) and they are too heavy for the power when flown anywhere near max gross. As much as I like Barons, I think a C-340 is a much better cross country machine than a BE-58P.

Are you seriously considering a 58P? I'm not very fond of them as they come with all the problems/costs of turbos and pressurization without much of the benefit (something like 3.5 psi max differential) and they are too heavy for the power when flown anywhere near max gross. As much as I like Barons, I think a C-340 is a much better cross country machine than a BE-58P.[/QUOTE]

Well! 'xcusea me!! :hairraise: Don't expect a ride til I simmer down a little.

Kiddin. Looked at the 340 and it's got the roomier cabin and the A sure has better pressurization. Don't see me pushing the ceiling a lot, and if I do, I still have protable oxygen if the saturation gets down a little.

Didn't like several things on the 340. Have a few friends with 'em and have flown up front a bit. Don't like the systems; feels like a truck; since I've have Beechcraft for so long, It's like making a BMW guy go to a Chevy. My insurer was very down on the 340 compared to the 58P and my partner has been flyin one and wants to stay there. Hanger would also be an issue. They're pretty difficult to get at Addison and one that would fit a 340 would be quite a bit more and not available for the known future.

Maybe I'll change planes later. For now, I'm stickin with my story and that's all there is to it. ;)

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Well! 'xcusea me!! :hairraise: Don't expect a ride til I simmer down a little.

I take it all back, and I will need a ride:yes:

Kiddin. Looked at the 340 and it's got the roomier cabin and the A sure has better pressurization. Don't see me pushing the ceiling a lot, and if I do, I still have protable oxygen if the saturation gets down a little.

Didn't like several things on the 340. Have a few friends with 'em and have flown up front a bit. Don't like the systems; feels like a truck; since I've have Beechcraft for so long, It's like making a BMW guy go to a Chevy. My insurer was very down on the 340 compared to the 58P and my partner has been flyin one and wants to stay there. Hanger would also be an issue. They're pretty difficult to get at Addison and one that would fit a 340 would be quite a bit more and not available for the known future.

Well, it does sound like you've given the issue plenty of consideration and have plenty of good reasons to go with the Baron. A C-340 certainly would be more trucklike in the handling department.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!! :yes:

As you know, each plane has its good points and shortcomings. Yea, the 340 is a great plane and there was a time I was on a track to head in that direction. Still may in the future, but right now the P baron just seems to fit better. Insurance is arranged at a decent price; partner wants the same bird; so, we can get something much nicer than I probably would have alone; mentioned the hanger.

I have an opportunity to occasionally fly a local 340 and may get a little time in it from time to time. The current bird we have an offer in on has the higher pressure system: it's an '82 with completely redone avionics and interior. Factory remaned engines are mid time with new millennium cylinders. I'll send some pics if we actually get it under contract next week.

We are arranging for a pretty detailed pre-buy at separate places for mechanical and avionics. Places I've been using for a long time. We'll see how it all shakes out.
Ride is authorized again at Gastons if not sooner. BTW, I'll be back up your way for my nieces' HS graduation on June 3. May try to link you with you then if you can get free.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
BTW, I'll be back up your way for my nieces' HS graduation on June 3. May try to link you with you then if you can get free.

I'm probably around. I'll be in Michigan over the Memorial Day weekend but I think that's the week before you arrive.

As the time gets closer, I'll check with you and see what my nieces are up to. Maybe we could do lunch somewhere Saturday.

Dave

Back