London's top cop takes up guns

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
If London's top cop has his way, the 30,000-strong Metro force will carry sidearms or shotguns to fight terrorists. There appears to be strong support among the city population, even to the point of gladly submitting to search of backpacks, briefcases, and luggage.

Sorry, no link. I read this story in the local rag with a LA Times byline but I didn't find a link anywhere I looked.

Richard said:
If London's top cop has his way, the 30,000-strong Metro force will carry sidearms or shotguns to fight terrorists. There appears to be strong support among the city population, even to the point of gladly submitting to search of backpacks, briefcases, and luggage.

Sorry, no link. I read this story in the local rag with a LA Times byline but I didn't find a link anywhere I looked.

That sure is a big change for them. Sure sorry to see that they are having to go through this.

Sure, the Brits have a long standing history of the Bobby with nothing but a nightstick and his resolve. But we all are going through this...it's been a long time coming.

How interesting that they have come to the conclusion that firearms are the most approriate method of fighting evil. Just as interesting is no link to this stroy either on the K-R local rag, the LA Times, or any of the news wires. None that I found. The story was given 3 lines on the inside back page of the 2nd section below the fold. K-R and LA Times have a proven bias, perhaps they wish the story to just go away?

I lived in london. The police were unarmed for a reason. The police of the 1800's were so utterly corrupt and feared that the people insisted on them being unarmed. The tradition stuck. But, don't be fooled. fully armed forced where always close by. Any trouble and they came out of nowhere. Believe, I know. We lit of some fireworks in Hype park, I know, we where dumb college kids, and man... We saw gun!!!

corjulo said:
I lived in london. The police were unarmed for a reason. The police of the 1800's were so utterly corrupt and feared that the people insisted on them being unarmed. The tradition stuck. But, don't be fooled. fully armed forced where always close by. Any trouble and they came out of nowhere. Believe, I know. We lit of some fireworks in Hype park, I know, we where dumb college kids, and man... We saw gun!!!

British ex-pat. Growing up, my father was part of that force (well, Thames Valley's equivalent to the Metropolitans SO19) as well as some other less well know divisions. Those that believe the Britsh Police aren't armed, have been laboring under a misconception for many many years. It's just the average bobby on the street that doesn't carry.

SJP said:
Those that believe the Britsh Police aren't armed, have been laboring under a misconception for many many years. It's just the average bobby on the street that doesn't carry.

The police may be armed but the citizenry certainly isn't.

SJP said:
British ex-pat. Growing up, my father was part of that force (well, Thames Valley's equivalent to the Metropolitans SO19) as well as some other less well know divisions. Those that believe the Britsh Police aren't armed, have been laboring under a misconception for many many years. It's just the average bobby on the street that doesn't carry.

What percentage of the 30,000 of the Metropolitan are plain ol Bobbies? What is the response time for the man with the gun?

Back