LOM or DYL?

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I have to be in the Philly area memorial day weekend, and was considering these two airports---they're both about the same distance from my final destination (a wedding at spring mill country clubhttp://www.springmillcountryclub.com/contact.htm in Ivyland, PA). I'd be flying in on sunday late morning, and leaving early the next day. Any input is appreciated.
thanks

I've not done more than shoot a few landings at DYL, so I don't have any input about them.

I've rented from Wings (LOM), and will say that there are very few FBOs that know how to do customer service better. They are happy, smiling, and go out of their way to please you. They've got a great pilot's lounge with massive big screen tv, free popcorn, free sodas, and free hotdogs (sometimes), though it doesn't sound like you'll be using the lounge. They hosted the POA BBQ AdamZ threw last year and bent over backwards, and are hosting it again this year. They've even got picnic tables set up with a great view of the runway so you can go out with the family and just watch the airplanes fly if you want to. I whole heartedly endorse them.

Dave,

You might also consider Northeast Philadelphia (PNE) or maybe Trenton...while they might be a little farther away the road travel might be faster, easier. Also longer, wider runways with better instrument approaches. Gas is likely to be more expensive than the smaller airports.

Len

David: Joe is right on Target about Montgomery County Aviation (MCA) at KLOM. As for distance Spring Mill Country club is about 11 miles from KLOM and about 12.2 miles from KDYL about even driving time. It should take you about 20 minutes from each. IIRC DYLs runway is a bit shorter and a bit narrower (not by much) than LOMs. I cannont comment on the FBO at DYL just because I have no experience with them.

MCA has free sodas and snacks in the terminal and the linemen are topsTie down is $10 per night. They cannot gurantee the courtsey car so if you not being picked up I strongly suggest you rent from enterpise, they will rent you some korean wind up toy for cheap. Either call directly or MCA can arrange it for you as they usually have a few cars stationed at Wings. MCAs number is (215) 646-0400 Either Dave or Heather are pretty helpful. Since enterprise is not open on Sunday MAKE SURE you get a confirmation # and to make sure the car is there waiting for you. If you get jammed up drop me a line.

Len Lanetti said:
Dave,

You might also consider Northeast Philadelphia (PNE) or maybe Trenton...while they might be a little farther away the road travel might be faster, easier. Also longer, wider runways with better instrument approaches. Gas is likely to be more expensive than the smaller airports.

Len

Len PNE and TTN are to far for Davids trip IMHO. Traffic would be a pain in the Arse. If Wx is super crappy then by all means yes use the ILS at PNE. I'd use either of KLOM's GPS approaches then anything DYLs has. I have found DYLs approaches to be unreliable. Also as you said be prepared to pay at least $1.50 more per gallon at PNE for 100LL

Thanks for the info. Wings it shall be then. I was hoping to get into that airport at some point, and this is a great excuse.
FWIW, the memorial day weekend has the rental car places closed. Hopefully someone in the wedding will be able to pick me up.
Also, probably no gps in the plane. We'll see how good I am at NDB approaches. I like those. I'm definetely gonna use one of the bigger airports as an alternate. I hope the weather's nice for my friend's wedding's sake, but a little IFR would be OK with me.

Dave:
1) Check with MCA they should be able to have the car there for you and they will have the paper work. Enterprise ususally has some cars at the field.

2) Do not count on the NDB approach as ING Beacon has been OTS for well over a year. But with any luck you will have CAVU

I'm no instrument pilot, but if you need an instrument approach and if you don't have GPS or RNAV, you may want to reconsider KDYL -- they have a VOR approach to rwy23. I don't think the Ambler or DYL NDB's will ever be operational again. They just call them OTS instead of decommissioned as a rainy day policy in case they're ever needed again, but they're pretty much gone for good. I forget who I was talking to about this, but Wings probably won't get that NDB approach back.

Wings FBO is flat-out great. They get all the corporate folks for a reason -- good service. DYL is a more typical GA FBO, with gently-worn facilities, but very friendly people. More of a mom & pop shop. They have some King Airs that fly charter from there, so it's not like they're amateurs...

If you can manage it, I still vote for Wings.

flyersfan31 said:
I'm no instrument pilot, but if you need an instrument approach and if you don't have GPS or RNAV, you may want to reconsider KDYL -- they have a VOR approach to rwy23.

If you can manage it, I still vote for Wings.

Andrew, Can't agree with the first part:no: . The VOR approach for DYL is horrendous in my opinion. I wouldn't rely on it if I was on the ground in my mazda. The second part however you are right on!

There you go - never take instrument advice from non-instrument rated pilots. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the visual approach either -- that ditch/road is a little distracting, even if it's not a factor.

Back