logout timeout

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
How long is the timer for activity timeout?

It is unbelievably frustrating to compose a point-by-point response only to have the post dissappear because I'm no longer logged in.

How do others do it?

Nope.

I probably don't understand what "remember me" really does. I assumed
(I know, bad to assume) that it avoided having reenter my password when
logging in again sometime later.

What does "remember me" really do?

Thanks
Bob

Nope.

I probably don't understand what "remember me" really does. I assumed
(I know, bad to assume) that it avoided having reenter my password when
logging in again sometime later.

What does "remember me" really do?

Thanks
Bob
Generally remember me means it'll remember you. In this case it is likely that your session is being cleaned up by the garbage collector and since you don't have remember me checked you're hosed.

Everyone else that is being hit by the garbage collector is using remember me and their remember me cookie is good a for a year which restarts their session.

I just changed the garbage collector to let things sit for 12 hours. If you want it to last longer than 12 hours I suggest you use remember me.

Generally remember me means it'll remember you. In this case it is likely that your session is being cleaned up by the garbage collector and since you don't have remember me checked you're hosed.

Everyone else that is being hit by the garbage collector is using remember me and their remember me cookie is good a for a year which restarts their session.

I just changed the garbage collector to let things sit for 12 hours. If you want it to last longer than 12 hours I suggest you use remember me.
Wait, you mean that your system considered Bob garbage!:frown2::fingerwag:

Who am I again?:idea: I remember now! :):):)

Is it GC or the cookie lifetime? I use remember me on my systems and don't use it on public computers. I had ass-u-me-d that cookies expired at the end of session, which should survive GC. I'll delete PoA cookies and check.

Joe

Is it GC or the cookie lifetime? I use remember me on my systems and don't use it on public computers. I had ass-u-me-d that cookies expired at the end of session, which should survive GC. I'll delete PoA cookies and check.

Joe
The actual session cookie won't expire.

PHP garbage collection is just a fancy way of saying that it'll crawl the session directory and delete any files over 'X' time. It has no clue when the session actually expires or not. So when the session cookie comes back in a request and PHP can't find that session in the session directory you're hosed.

The remember me cookies don't depend on sessions at all. That data is in the database.

The actual session cookie won't expire.

PHP garbage collection is just a fancy way of saying that it'll crawl the session directory and delete any files over 'X' time. It has no clue when the session actually expires or not. So when the session cookie comes back in a request and PHP can't find that session in the session directory you're hosed.

The remember me cookies don't depend on sessions at all. That data is in the database.
Hmm, I wonder who thought that would work well?

Between Jesse's changes to the garbage collection and my use of "remember me", I no longer have an issue with inactivity timeout.

Thanks all
Bob

Back