Logging XC Time

What's the difference between 50 nm from the PO and a 50nm leg? Wouldn't the same skill be involved?
Not necessarily. Triangular flight where the two legs from home, and to home, are short but the long side of the triangle is just over 50 miles. That puts you over territory and into airports that you are likely to have visited during training, potentially many times. They want you to be out there on your own in (relatively) unfamiliar territory. At least that is my guess.

-Skip

Why is that any different than if I just drove to B and rented from there to go to C?
Because then B, not A, would be your "original point of departure," and because the person who wrote that rule said "Departure for the purpose of conducting a “round robin” cross-country flight is a normal scenario where “original point of departure” and destination are the same. The “original point of departure” does not change with a new day or delay."

Because then B, not A, would be your "original point of departure," and because the person who wrote that rule said "Departure for the purpose of conducting a “round robin” cross-country flight is a normal scenario where “original point of departure” and destination are the same. The “original point of departure” does not change with a new day or delay."

Ron, I understand that. FWIW I am in a small way playing Devil's Advocate here. But given the fact that it has been said many times here that if it isn't logged it didn't happen, I can't see enough difference between not logging the flight from A to B and driving to B and starting there.

Ron, I understand that. FWIW I am in a small way playing Devil's Advocate here. But given the fact that it has been said many times here that if it isn't logged it didn't happen, I can't see enough difference between not logging the flight from A to B and driving to B and starting there.
Consider it like the difference between a /U pilot accepting a clearance "direct BUNGO intersection" and a vector to join V123 near BUNGO. You get the same result either way, but one's legal, and the other isn't, even though it only seems to be wordplay.

Because 50 nm would require pilotage and perhaps navaid. What's the difference between 50 nm from the PO and a 50nm leg? Wouldn't the same skill be involved? Was the initial rule written with the thought in mind that there would only be one destination? It seems to me that time and miles covered offer up the same, if not more, in the way of experience. The only argument is that "it is just the way it is written". It that's the final argument, then it is what it is, while not making much sense to this confused and annoyed PP. :dunno:

It didn't make sense to me either when I asked basically asked the same question, but an instructor told me to quit looking at it as a cross country with a 50nm+ leg, and start looking at it as getting more than 50nm from home. He said that the FAA wants to see you getting out of the neighborhood. I don't know if that is the real reason, but at least it makes sense from that perspective.

...you'd still be making a deceptive, if not false, entry. In any event, you would not be accomplishing what the FAA wants accomplished as part of your training and experience. Even if it means going a bit farther out on your way to pick up your buddy and doing a T&G there before backtracking to B, I think you'll live happier with the clear conscience that comes of knowing you did it right.
What does the FAA want him to accomplish that flying an extra 10 miles prevents him from accomplishing?

Consider it like the difference between a /U pilot accepting a clearance "direct BUNGO intersection" and a vector to join V123 near BUNGO. You get the same result either way, but one's legal, and the other isn't, even though it only seems to be wordplay.

OK, how is that "not legal"?

OK, how is that "not legal"?
Because he does not have on board and operational the "navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown," specifically, an approved point-to-point nav system like GPS. And if you want to go any further on this issue (91.205(d), not the original 61.1(c) question), let's start a new thread.

I can't find BUNGO direct with /U equipment. But I can fly a heading until the CDI center and then turn onto the airway.
That's right -- and that's why "fly heading 240 to join the airway" is legal, and "cleared direct BUNGO" is not.

Because he does not have on board and operational the "navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown," specifically, an approved point-to-point nav system like GPS. And if you want to go any further on this issue (91.205(d), not the original 61.1(c) question), let's start a new thread.

I'll just disagree on that one and drop it here.

It didn't make sense to me either when I asked basically asked the same question, but an instructor told me to quit looking at it as a cross country with a 50nm+ leg, and start looking at it as getting more than 50nm from home. He said that the FAA wants to see you getting out of the neighborhood. I don't know if that is the real reason, but at least it makes sense from that perspective.

Ok, so for a quick second this makes sense. Then comes the idea that - with this rationale, I should not continue to log the flights that are 55nm to the same airport as x-cntry because it has become familiar to me? I don't see anything about x-cntry needing to be to unfamiliar airports. It doesn't make sense, and forces me to spend more money and drive a car to airport B, instead of just flying over and doing a t & g at B. I would actually be getting more experience flying from A - B - C, and covering more than 50nm.

Fact of the matter is I have never landed at B or C. I am just one of those guys that likes to understand the rationale for something, rather than just memorize things as they are written.

I'm not good at lying, and would also have it the back of mind, but it does seem more equitable that I just not log A - B. Is it a requirement that I log all my time?

Last edited:
You know, I'd never actually thought about cross country this way.

This might be the most retarded thing I've ever heard about FAA policy....Obviously, the intent of the 50nm rule was to ensure that at some point, the pilot is flying a 50nm leg, and not a series of 20nm legs that equal a total of 60nm.

What is pathetic is that a series of 10nm legs that happen to go more than 50nm from the OPD counts as cross country, but a single leg of 50nm or more that doesn't happen to be more than 50nm from the OPD doesn't count.

Horse Hockey, and the FAA needs to fix this.

Because the FAA has screwed the pooch on this one, I would not find it deceptive to fail to log A-B. There's no rule that says A-B must be logged, and failing the log of A-B, B-C would appear to be cross country...especially if you don't log it as such for a long enough time that you forget, go back and total numbers and catch it "Wow, that should have been XC! Yeehaw!"

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this up again, as I see it's been discussed quite a bit, but I have a different scenario that I couldn't find had been discussed. The scenario:

I do the following without a break other than to pick up a passenger;

1. take off at A and fly 10nm to B and land (or preferrably touch and go)
2. take off at B and fly 55nm to C, full stop, pick up passenger
3. take off at C and fly 45 nm back to A.

How do I (can I) log it in order to qualify for IFR training/rating reqs.? A, my original point of takeoff is only 45 nm "straight line" from my final destination, C. Only my second leg is 50+ nm:

1. Log all time as x-cntry
2. Log only B-C and return C-A as x-cntry, and A-B on sep. line(s)
3. Log only B-C as x-cntry, and other legs on sep. lines
4. Something different and that would be....

I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow, and probably many times in the future. I hoping the adding the initial 10nm, will qualify it for x-cntry. Direct fly is 5 nm short.....:mad: Unless, the total there and back (=90nm) would cut it, but I don't think it will. I'll be using pilotage and navaids.

I don't see this qualifying under the regs as written in a single flight. If you had a reason to fly A-B, and then a different reason for the B-C-A leg, you could log them as two different flights. For instance, if you went to B for business or pleasure, and stayed a while, that's one flight. Then you could decide to make the B-C-A flight for the purposes of building appropriate flight experience, and you'd be ok. So.... is there a restaurant, a friend, or another reason to visit "B" besides the length of the B-C leg?

Edit: Looking at my logbook, I see a similar situation. Flew one airplane from A-B to drop it for maintenance (logged as one flight). Flew a different airplane (coming out of maintenance) from B-C-A as an X/C flight. Logged that as the necessary X/C. I don't see any "magic" in having two different airplanes. The thing to determine is what is the "original point of departure" for the flight. If there really are two separate, legitimate flights, for two separate purposes, then logging them as two flights is just fine.

Last edited:
I don't see this qualifying under the regs as written in a single flight. If you had a reason to fly A-B, and then a different reason for the B-C-A leg, you could log them as two different flights. For instance, if you went to B for business or pleasure, and stayed a while, that's one leg. Then you could decide to make the B-C-A flight for the purposes of building appropriate flight experience, and you'd be ok. So.... is there a restaurant, a friend, or another reason to visit "B" besides the length of the B-C leg?

Yes, I could go visit the flight school at B. Then, decide to go down to C and return to A. Thanks.

I think everyone now understands what the FAA says the rule means. For those of you who don't like what the FAA says, I suggest a perusal of Part 11 of the FAR's on how to recommend a change to the rule.

Yes, I could go visit the flight school at B. Then, decide to go down to C and return to A. Thanks.

Obviously, to each his own, but this seems to be on the "deceptive" side to me. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it... just that if it were me, I think I would want to be *very* comfortable with time I'm planning on putting toward a new rating. What happens if you get to your IR checkride, and the DE won't accept those flights as cross country?

Ok, so for a quick second this makes sense. Then comes the idea that - with this rationale, I should not continue to log the flights that are 55nm to the same airport as x-cntry because it has become familiar to me? I don't see anything about x-cntry needing to be to unfamiliar airports. It doesn't make sense, and forces me to spend more money and drive a car to airport B, instead of just flying over and doing a t & g at B. I would actually be getting more experience flying from A - B - C, and covering more than 50nm.

Fact of the matter is I have never landed at B or C. I am just one of those guys that likes to understand the rationale for something, rather than just memorize things as they are written.

I'm not good at lying, and would also have it the back of mind, but it does seem more equitable that I just not log A - B. Is it a requirement that I log all my time?
I'm not saying that is the reason that the rule is written as it is. I'm saying that is how I interpret it for my own purposes. I'm not here to interpret the regs, that is Ron's job. I'm not going for any ratings, and I'll pretty much call a cross country whatever I want it to be. I've had that attitude for quite some time, and I'm committed to it, because that is how I have been logging things for a long time. I'm just saying that makes it a little more understandable to me for the purpose of discussion.

Last edited:
Obviously, to each his own, but this seems to be on the "deceptive" side to me. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it... just that if it were me, I think I would want to be *very* comfortable with time I'm planning on putting toward a new rating. What happens if you get to your IR checkride, and the DE won't accept those flights as cross country?

Nope, not my style. I want my accounting to be indisputable. Too much invested (and going to be invested) to be marred by fudging. I'll make it legit according to the rules. :D

I'm not saying that is the reason that the rule is written as it is. I'm saying that is how I interpret it for my own purposes. I'm not here to interpret the regs, that is Ron's job. I'm not going for any ratings, and I'll pretty much call a cross country whatever I want it to be. I've had that attitude for quite some time, and I'm committed to it, because that is how I have been logging things for a long time. I'm just saying that makes it a little more understandable to me for the purpose of discussion.

I gotcha. I wasn't arguing with you, but rather still questioning the logic behind the rule. I get what you and your instructor were saying, and that is the "essence" or "spirit" of the rule. I prefer to play by the rules....:D

Back