Logging training time abroad

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
A Japanese CFI in an aircraft of Japanese registration would endorse your logbook as per JCAB rules. The experience, in general, counts toward FAA ratings, although the endorsement may not meet specific FAA requirements. It's all fun, though. :)

...and the governing reg is 61.41:
Sec. 61.41

Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA

(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:
(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either--
(i) The United States; or
(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.
(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.
...and I'm pretty sure Japan is a "contracting State." The only other issue would be to make sure the log entry is in English, the international language of aviation, not Japanese, unless you want to get a certified translation here later.

Thanks! I should've interpreted the rule myself, it does not seem difficult now that Ron pointed it out...

Back