Logging SIC time...

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Two things:

Can you legally act as a safety pilot if your passenger currency is expired?

If so, can you log the flight as SIC time?

I know the regs say PIC has to be current, but I didn't see it make the same distinction for the safety pilot.

Last edited:
As I read it - since safety pilot is required crew, there are no passengers. Therefore currency does not apply.

Also, while acting as safety pilot you could log PIC.

That ^

It always seems odd to me to log SIC in a plane that is not reauired by type of FAR to have a SIC.

Just log it PIC, remember you both can't log ALL of it, someone is going to loose a tenth of two on takeoff and landing right?!

That ^

It always seems odd to me to log SIC in a plane that is not reauired by type of FAR to have a SIC.

Just log it PIC, remember you both can't log ALL of it, someone is going to loose a tenth of two on takeoff and landing right?!
SIC is a player if the aircraft by type requires two pilots or the "operation" requires two pilots. Flying hooded is the operation that requires two pilots, one being the pilot manipulating the controls while hooded, the other being the safety pilot. As soon as the pilot flying takes off the hood, the operation no longer requires two pilots so SIC is no longer a player.

Just seems easier to log PIC or nada

Just a personal thing, were only taking thenths of hours here, and I don't need a tenth enough to log SIC in a 172.

Tenths? If you're logging SIC, it'd be for the whole flight minus the non hood time of the person using the controls.

Back