Logging PIC if without current medical or BFR

Nav8tor

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Nav8tor
Logging PIC without current medical or BFR

I don't have a current medical or BFR. Today I flew with a friend in his plane and I was sole manipulator of the controls for about 2.3 hours. I'm rated in the category & class of the airplane. Can I log this as PIC even though I'm not current?

Lee

Last edited:
Re: Logging PIC without current medical or BFR

Nav8tor said:
I don't have a current medical or BFR. Today I flew with a friend in his plane and I was sole manipulator of the controls for about 2.3 hours. I'm rated in the category & class of the airplane. Can I log this as PIC even though I'm not current?

Lee

Yes. 61.51(e)(1)(i). However, your friend can't log that time because it does not fit any of the categories of 61.51. But don't ask J. C. Boyles of Plane and Pilot because he will tell you that both of you could log the time.

Greg Bockelman said:
Yes. 61.51(e)(1)(i). However, your friend can't log that time because it does not fit any of the categories of 61.51. But don't ask J. C. Boyles of Plane and Pilot because he will tell you that both of you could log the time.

Thanks Greg. That's what I thought, but the FAR doesn't mention currency, so I wanted to make sure.

ah, the old act vs log again.

Yes, you can LOG it as PIC.

N2212R said:

Yes, you can LOG it as PIC.

Lee,

One thing you may want to note in you log was who was acting as PIC, maybe even have them sign it. Just in case there are questions later.

Missa

N2212R said:
Yeah but the usual question is safety pilot vs pilot under the hood both of whom have current medicals. I haven't seen a discussion about logging PIC when not current.

Last edited:
Still falls under the are you rated category. Now you know. Pass it on! ;)

Nav8tor said:
Thanks Greg. That's what I thought, but the FAR doesn't mention currency, so I wanted to make sure.

Thats because it does not matter. As long as there is someone onboard that can act as legal PIC, you may log PIC as long as you are sole manipulator, and you can use that time to regain currency.

Missa said:
One thing you may want to note in you log was who was acting as PIC, maybe even have them sign it. Just in case there are questions later.
14 CFR 61.51(g)(3)(ii) requires that the hooded pilot record the name of the safety pilot, with no reference to who was acting as PIC. In addition, you might want to record the pilot certificate number of the safety pilot if the safety pilot's name is "John Smith" so the FAA can find the right one on the first try if they ever go checking, but if the safety pilot's name is Zbigniew Brzezinski, it's probably not necessary. Also, as a matter of practice, I record the name of the hooded pilot when I act as safety pilot, but that's not required.

Ron Levy said:
14 CFR 61.51(g)(3)(ii) requires that the hooded pilot record the name of the safety pilot, with no reference to who was acting as PIC. In addition, you might want to record the pilot certificate number of the safety pilot if the safety pilot's name is "John Smith" so the FAA can find the right one on the first try if they ever go checking, but if the safety pilot's name is Zbigniew Brzezinski, it's probably not necessary. Also, as a matter of practice, I record the name of the hooded pilot when I act as safety pilot, but that's not required.

Ah, but Lee didn't say he was out flying simulated IFR, just that he didn't have a current medical or BFR so this case probally doesn't fall under this reg. I don't know of anyplace where the regs state that if you are not Legal PIC but Logging PIC that you have to record the name of the legal PIC. I only would suggested that he record that there was someone else acting as legal PIC in case his records are ever in question he can prove that even though he couldn't act as legal PIC there was someone acting as legal PIC and he wasn't violating the regs by being PIC without a vaild medical or BRF.

Missa

Missa said:
Ah, but Lee didn't say he was out flying simulated IFR, just that he didn't have a current medical or BFR so this case probally doesn't fall under this reg.

Missa

Right, no hood involved. Just me flying the airplane from the right seat with my buddy in the left seat "acting" as PIC

Missa said:
Ah, but Lee didn't say he was out flying simulated IFR, just that he didn't have a current medical or BFR so this case probally doesn't fall under this reg. I don't know of anyplace where the regs state that if you are not Legal PIC but Logging PIC that you have to record the name of the legal PIC. I only would suggested that he record that there was someone else acting as legal PIC in case his records are ever in question he can prove that even though he couldn't act as legal PIC there was someone acting as legal PIC and he wasn't violating the regs by being PIC without a vaild medical or BRF.
Right -- good point. I had my threads crossed.

Back