Logging PIC chart - where?

One of these days I oughta change that to a pdf of tubgirl just to wig everyone out. :D

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

BTW I looked in the links database for it too with no luck. Ed would you mind adding it in there somewhere?

This flow chart is good, except it still sticks (hangs up) on the point of rated in the aircraft. A lot of confusion still comes from the interpretation of that word. Rated in instruments? Rated in complex, etc....

This flow chart is good, except it still sticks (hangs up) on the point of rated in the aircraft. A lot of confusion still comes from the interpretation of that word. Rated in instruments? Rated in complex, etc....
You aren't rated for a complex or high altitude or high performance or tailwheel, you are endorsed. If folks keep the FAA meaning of "rated" in mind they won't get stuck. There are times in which you can log PIC in an aircraft for which you are not endorsed, so long as you are rated for it. We're talking category and class here...

Category:
(1) As used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a broad classification of aircraft. Examples include: airplane; rotorcraft; glider; and lighter-than-air;

Class:
(1) As used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a classification of aircraft within a category having similar operating characteristics. Examples include: single engine; multiengine; land; water; gyroplane; helicopter; airship; and free balloon;

Last edited:
And it's the plane you need to be rated for not the weather/flight rules so instrument has nothing to do with it either.

You aren't rated for a complex or high altitude or high performance or tailwheel, you are endorsed. If folks keep the FAA meaning of "rated" in mind they won't get stuck. There are times in which you can log PIC in an aircraft for which you are not endorsed, so long as you are rated for it. We're talking category and class here...
...and type, if required, and AFAIK, the new SIC type ratings don't fill the bill, only a PIC type rating for aircraft requiring it (primarily turbojet or over 12,500 lb).

You aren't rated for a complex or high altitude or high performance or tailwheel, you are endorsed. If folks keep the FAA meaning of "rated" in mind they won't get stuck.
Yeah, I know all that. I was pointing out what you said. I understand the definition of 'rated' as used in this context.

However, I, as others, have a difficult time finding a regulatory definition of the word 'rated' as seems to be the popular definition.

1.1 says Rating means a statement that, as part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations.

I can see where that doesn't require endorsements, since they are not part of a certificate,... but instrument privileges are; I can see where somone might see the requirement of an IR to log PIC in actual, or even on an IFR FP.

It could be argued, and now I suppose there is some legal opinion on that?

...I can see where somone might see the requirement of an IR to log PIC in actual, or even on an IFR FP.

It could be argued, and now I suppose there is some legal opinion on that?
Yes, from the Chief Counsel's office. Go here for the Hicks letter. Note that it specifically says, "rated for the aircraft," not for the type of operation. Also, see the Gordon letter, which specifically addresses the logging of PIC time while undergoing instrument training.

Back