Logging glider time?

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Okay, so let's say I decide to add a glider rating to my certificate. Do I enter the time in the same log book I use for powered flight, and count it in my total hours? Or is it to be logged completely seperate so as not to be co-mingled? And if it is in the same book, and hours are counted, can they be applied towards total hours for other ratings?

Okay, so let's say I decide to add a glider rating to my certificate. Do I enter the time in the same log book I use for powered flight, and count it in my total hours?
Your choice.
And if it is in the same book, and hours are counted, can they be applied towards total hours for other ratings?
What other ratings require a total hour minimum regardless of type?

-Skip

Your choice.

What other ratings require a total hour minimum regardless of type?

-Skip
I'm going to make the assumption that, like a lot of people, he's using "certificate" and "rating" as synonyms, even though they are not.

T-Bone, it all counts toward general total flight time requirements for any =certificate= or rating; all that's really needed from a practical standpoint for separation a column for the category/class numbers (or another way to run separate totals for the times they are needed), like the column you already probably have for ASEL. How you choose to break things down beyond that is up to you,

Okay, so let's say I decide to add a glider rating to my certificate. Do I enter the time in the same log book I use for powered flight, and count it in my total hours? Or is it to be logged completely seperate so as not to be co-mingled? And if it is in the same book, and hours are counted, can they be applied towards total hours for other ratings?
Time is time, and glider time is as good as any. Comingling isn't a problem. Unfortunately, you will find instructors who don't understand that, and will tell you that all the requirements have to be met in powered aircraft. The only ones that actually need to be met in powered aircraft are the ones that the regulations specify.

Personally, I have a glider logbook, because there are columns for things that you want for gliders that you don't have in your other logbook, and I log the glider time in both logbooks. Total times, etc., are taken from the primary logbook, but whether I'm current on aerotow or ground launch, what specific types or N-numbers I flew (I make entries in the primary log as "gliders" rather than individual types or N-numbers) or other things I need to look at for glider currency, I get from the glider log.

The problem with this (you knew there was one, didn't you? ;)) is that glider pilots generally log in "hours and minutes", where power pilots generally log in "hours and tenths". You'll get rounding errors, and end up with different flight times...I'll sometimes add a "correction for rounding errors" entry in my primary log to keep things honest. It also helps that I make one entry for all the glider flights for a period of time (a day, a month, whatever) in the primary log instead of individual flights...the fewer times you make the transition from hours-and-minutes to hours-and-tenths, the fewer rounding errors you make.

Sorry to confuse you ;)

Fly safe!

David

And if it is in the same book, and hours are counted, can they be applied towards total hours for other ratings?

Others have covered the rest pretty well, but I thought I'd throw in a bit more on this point.

Just as an example, here are the relevant requirements for getting your initial commercial in a single-engine airplane:

14 CFR 61.129 said:
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

So, you could have 50 hours in airplanes (50 hours PIC, 10 XC PIC), 50 hours in helicopters, and 150 hours in gliders. Put an additional 50 hours of PIC and 40 hours of cross country PIC spread between the choppers and the gliders, and you have the aeronautical experience requirements for a commercial single-engine airplane certificate.

Put an additional 50 hours of PIC and 40 hours of cross country PIC spread between the choppers and the gliders, and you have the aeronautical experience requirements for a commercial single-engine airplane certificate.
Brings up an interesting point...I used to work with a guy who was a Commercial/CFI-Glider and decided to add on his Private-Airplane rating. Got to the cross-country portion of the training, and the instructor couldn't figure out what to do, since this guy had a couple hundred hours of XC logged in gliders, but never an hour of dual XC ;)

Fly safe!

David

Matt will get a huge discount on doing his Commercial due to his high glider time and his glider XC time.

Tony is correct that I will be getting a substantial break on my commercial single engine rating due to my total time in "aircraft", some "powered aircraft" from my motorglider hours, and cross-country time. The cross country time is limited to flights with a landing beyond 50nm. My longest glider flights (both duration and distance) were flights that I made it back to the home airport so cant count those hours toward the commercial power ticket. Those hours would count toward the ATP rating if I ever need them for that.

Back