Logging approaches in VMC

Right. He can't log the approach but he can log the IMC as PNF.
The plain language of 61.51(g)(2) says he can't log instrument time, either, if he's not flying the plane. Doesn't matter if he's SIC or PIC (the issue addressed in the letter), but it does matter if he's not the pilot flying the aircraft.

The plain language of 61.51(g)(2) says he can't log instrument time, either, if he's not flying the plane. Doesn't matter if he's SIC or PIC (the issue addressed in the letter), but it does matter if he's not the pilot flying the aircraft.

Both pilots are "operating" the aircraft and can log actual. Only the sole manipulator can log the approach.

From the letter which Mark posted.

You first ask whether it would be proper under FAR 61.51(g) for a properly qualified SIC to log instrument flight time flown during instrument conditions while serving as the SIC in Part 121 operations on an aircraft that requires two crewmembers. The answer is yes. As a qualified SIC, and as a required crewmember, you are "operating" the aircraft within the meaning of FAR 61.51(g). Therefore, as the SIC operating the aircraft "solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions," you would log that time as SIC flown in instrument conditions. Naturally, the PIC logs the time as PIC flown in instrument conditions.

Last edited:
This is starting to sound similar to the issue of the SIC being able to log cross-country time (yes, if a required crewmember for the entire flight-no otherwise).

This is starting to sound similar to the issue of the SIC being able to log cross-country time (yes, if a required crewmember for the entire flight-no otherwise).

Yeah, and all that jazz about who performs the takeoff and landing.:(

What helped me was to think of actual as a condition of flight just like night. No one would suggest that the PNF (pilot not flying) not log night although they wouldn't log the night landing. In the same way the PNF can log actual but not the approach.

OOOI = Out Off On In. Times recorded and sent in.

What's been said is what I said I do. I only log approaches I fly and IMC whether I'm flying or not.

Doesn't really matter anyway. I've got an ATP and am not applying for any ratings any time soon. If I log an approach I was flying it and I only log the ones if I'm IMC past the FAF.

I know guys who log any approach they're cleared to fly so they end up logging an approach with zero IMC on some flights. That would look weird to me if I were on a hiring board and I saw that on a logbook review.

Back