Log book discrepencies

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Log book discrepancies

Hey guys -- there is probably not a simple answer to this but I'll ask anyways. When shopping for an airplane that's 40-50 years old, how much scrutiny and weight do you assign to discrepancies in the logs from decades ago? For example, if a plane had seemingly sloppy MX work thru the 80's and 90's but seemed to be back on track more recently over the last decade +, how would that influence you? Here's our most recent encounter as an example, which is peculiar to say the least. Plane is a late 60's Cherokee 180 and the A&P in '87 reported a compression check in the engine log for 6 cylinders. :dunno:

Anyways, thanks for any general observations. My thinking is that over 40 years of work, it's going to be tough to find an aircraft without some strange or head scratching history in the logs.

Last edited:
Sounds like he had several sets of logs on the desk and put the compression test results in the wrong one. If this is the only anomaly you find, I wouldn't sweat it.

Weren't 60's vintage Cherokee 180's powered by 6 cyl Continentals?

Nope, that was early 172s. Cherokees always had Lycomings, actuall, outside of Cubs, I can't think of a Piper with a Continental. Don't know of a 180hp Continental either.

No. The only Cherokee to have a Continental was the "Turbo" Arrow.
I believe the Turbo Dakota had the same Continental engine, too.

As for the original question, if the worst thing you can find in the logbook is a wrong entry for a compression check 25 years ago, you're doing very well.

Nope, that was early 172s. Cherokees always had Lycomings, actuall, outside of Cubs, I can't think of a Piper with a Continental. Don't know of a 180hp Continental either.

Early Malibus as well...

How much of the maintenance on the airplane was done by that mechanic. If it has been well maintained recently ,I would feel comfortable with the aircraft.

Compression checks don't mean much, even if they were recent. Nobody ever details the exact situation under which they were measured so for historical purposes they're little more than a feel good number.

Back