Local legend unearthed

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
A local farmer owned this Staggerwing and kept it at his farm. It needed to be recovered, so he removed the wings and never got back to the project, that was 1966. When I first saw it in 1977 the barn's roof trusses were setting on the aft fuselage, it only got worse from there. This is a D-17 bought new by the Goodyear Tire Co. I believe it barely had 1000 hrs. The owner would never talk about selling. Now VA is having him sell off his estate as he moves to a home. I hope someone will buy it and have it flying again.

Kevin

Attachments

• 100_7403.JPG
    100_7403.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 100_7404.JPG
    100_7404.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 100_7405.JPG
    100_7405.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 100_7406.JPG
    100_7406.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
Oh wow, talk about a project! You'd need to soak that frame in naval jelly for a week just to start finding the good spots. Guess the wings are in another corner of the barn?

They found the four wings, rotted wood and fabric too. When I saw this airplane back in 1977 it was not near as bad. Someone stole a number of instruments at some time.

I always wanted this as a project, but I already have too many.

Kevin

After the Fairchild, I don't think Tom has it in him. I have been told it is about 10,000 hours to restor one of those.

By the time it flew again, it'd be like George Washington's axe. The head has been replaced 4 times and the handle 5 times, but it's the original axe.....

leah said i couldn't have any more gliders before we got a house. she didn't say anything about airplanes. but that wont fit in my garage

leah said i couldn't have any more gliders before we got a house. she didn't say anything about airplanes. but that wont fit in my garage

Get a bigger garage? :wink2:

Go ahead, it's really close to Wichita and ready to go on the trailer. My hangar and barn are already too full of projects.

Kevin

Holy Moly!!!
I've heard that Staggerwings are a very complex plane with LOTS of parts. Restoring one is supposed to be a major undertaking.
I sure hope the right person gets that one!!

Sad to say that plane is toast. What a crime.

They should get it listed in the EAA auction.

Back