Local accident past few years

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Hi ,New to forum and have been upset by the number of accidents in the past few months by GA.

Then I started to think about the number of accidents that have happened locally (flights that have left my home field).

The number is high, but has decreased in the past couple of years. The FAA has upgraded the weather cams and NOOA has a great aviation weather site.

Please excuse the accuracy but the following is from memory. I would say in the past 10 years here are most of the local accidents.

Helicopter impacts mountain low visibility

Recue helicopter from same FBO impacts mountain trying to assist, low visibility

Beech 18 crashes on takeoff load, of shingles shifts aft on takeoff

Private pilot and CFI crash on biannual flight review, weather 2000-2500 overcast, aircraft never recovered. They found a tire on a beach a few days later.

Local pilot leaves airport MVFR 5 miles out turns back and impacts mountain.

Part 121 aircraft lands on beach engine failure

Local pilot has landing gear fail on landing, Cessna 150 tail wheel conversion.

Local private float plane pilot leaves lake 30 miles south of town and is never found (MVFR). I spent many hours that summer looking for crash site.

Local bush pilot hits stump with landing gear on landing, extensive damage to aircraft.

Local pilot lost in snow squall runs out of fuel and ditches on beach, extensive damage to aircraft.

Turbine Otter on floats crashes while landing in rough seas

Local pilot made emergency landing, (Beaver on floats) line man fueled him with jet fuel instead of 100LL. Beaver towed back to dock by passing boat.

A good number of these accidents were preventable. The point of this post is keep it safe. As PIC don't make the wrong choice. If it does not look good now it won't get any better.

I have lost more than one friend pushing the weather, hurrying and not tying the payload down property.

Do the checks and say no when things don't look right

Last edited:
Good to have you on the forum.

I think you posted on another thread that you are from Juneau. So these accidents were in Alaska, I suppose. Any thoughts on factors peculiar to Alaska that contribute to the toll there?

17 - To tell you the truth weather here is in most cases not good. Folks push the envelope. My point is as PIC don't let a schedule decide your fait, double check everything and be professional. You, your family and your passengers deserve it.

Last edited:
Back