Loading PDFs onto an iPad

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Now that I'm using an iPad in the cockpit for charts I wanted to put all the pdf manuals I have for the airplane and it's systems on the iPad to use away from home. I have PDF Reader (light) on the iPad which allows you to organize files in folders and I set up several of those for the different categories like airframe, engine, avionics&instruments plus a folder for each avionics manufacturer. But when I tried to transfer the actual files from my laptop using iTunes, none of the subfolders are visible.

Do I have to transfer the files to the root folder via iTunes and then move them into the appropriate location using PDF Reader on the iPad or is there a simpler way?

Dropbox and GoodReader are a possible solution.

Dropbox makes it easy to put any document into any iDevice. GoodReader can import from Dropbox.

GoodReader can also download PDFs directly from the web.

I'm just using iBooks and created separate collections for different types of documents. When accessing a PDF on the web, just use the open in iBooks option, then move it from the PDF collection to where it belongs.

Goodreader.

EASY, EASY: http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-wifi.html
You connect your ipad to the same WiFi your PC is on, then mount the IPad as a Network drive. Then drag and drop as many files and folders as you would like.

I use this at work, where my folks' IPads start with a standard file load of PDF maps, emergency plans, documents, etc, already organized in folders on the PC.
Connect the IPad, create the network folder, then drag and drop the "OEM" folder (which has 15 subfolders and 1200 documents) and it's done.
The file structure of whatever you copy over carries over the the IPad. Easy peasy.

Now that I'm using an iPad in the cockpit for charts I wanted to put all the pdf manuals I have for the airplane and it's systems on the iPad to use away from home. I have PDF Reader (light) on the iPad which allows you to organize files in folders and I set up several of those for the different categories like airframe, engine, avionics&instruments plus a folder for each avionics manufacturer. But when I tried to transfer the actual files from my laptop using iTunes, none of the subfolders are visible.

Do I have to transfer the files to the root folder via iTunes and then move them into the appropriate location using PDF Reader on the iPad or is there a simpler way?

I use My Documents To Go on my iPad, and I just uploaded and tested several PDFs that work fine. It does a wifi link/synch outside of iTunes.

I can't tell from the posts on this thread if any of the recommended apps will allow me to transfer files into specific folders on the iPad. Ideally I'd like to be able to copy part of the file structure (subdirectories and their contents) to the iPad and view the files in their folders on the iPad. Baring that, I at least want to be able to move specific files to specific iPad folders (which can then be selected for reading on the iPad).

I can't tell from the posts on this thread if any of the recommended apps will allow me to transfer files into specific folders on the iPad. Ideally I'd like to be able to copy part of the file structure (subdirectories and their contents) to the iPad and view the files in their folders on the iPad. Baring that, I at least want to be able to move specific files to specific iPad folders (which can then be selected for reading on the iPad).

Goodreader will do that for sure. I do the same thing with mine.

Yes. Goodreader and DocToGo both will allow you to copy folders and subfolders in the manner you describe. See my post above.
I do this at work all the time with IPads.

Back