LNS - a great time was had by all!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Toby for coordinating this GTG and let everyone know I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. It's so nice to put names with faces. I hope to see you all again soon.

Any photo's to post? Glad everybody had a great time.

Wow! Awesome time indeed! Toby you are just the best. Great organizationation on your part. It it was good food, good flying and good people, what more can you ask. That 31kt head wind that had my ground speed at 75 to 85 on the way out there had me at 143 on the way home. Toby you really made ATC work today. LNS tower did a great job. On the way home Harrisburg a approach gave me the most intersting traffic call I have ever had 24R multiple targets behind you same direction advise when you have targets in sight. Uhhhh Ok. Then about 12 W of KLOM I got 24R taffic at your 12:00 opposite direction same altitude. then traffic at your 10 then 4 then 2 then 24R multiple targets all quadrants. Got a traffic alert whoooo lotsa of work.
Anyway Gary, Ron, Toby, Jim G, Skip, Bob Greg just to many to name. Great seeing you all and hope you all had a safe flight home. Toby you are the Queen. Oh Ron awesome job squeezing me in with millimeters to spare.
See you all at Wings on May 20. More to follow.

woodstock said:
Just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Toby for coordinating this GTG and let everyone know I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. It's so nice to put names with faces. I hope to see you all again soon.
Amen! Toby did a great job! And it was a great fly-in :yes:

Yes it was a GREAT time , and thanks to bob for the photo op.
Dave G.

Shipoke said:
Yes it was a GREAT time , and thanks to bob for the photo op.
Dave G.

Ditto what Dave said. Refer to post in original topic for my comments. Unforunately, I didn't get to meet everyone <g> that I wanted to, but that's why there is a next time!

Looking forward to matching more faces to names. Can't wait for the group picture! Let me know if you would like me to host it on my website, Toby. I have plenty of space and bandwidth!

Jason

Thank you for the thank you's, but you all know I had lots of help and pep talks along the way! I had an amazing time today, too. It was great meeting you, too -- Beth, Jason, so many new faces. I just posted the whole shmegeggie on the red board, take a look.

Adam, your ride home sounds like a test of sorts. And what is this, traffic behind you same direction?? I could not believe how crazy it was getting into LNS. I dropped flight following 25 miles out, just past the Pottstown towers, and the tower sounded like a class B, sequencing in multiple flights on intersecting runways! Holy cow! I called them about 12 miles out and they put me in line for a straight-in final to 26 with a hold short (my first). People were telling the tower they were there for the fly-in. I think it was Skip who told me that Reading let him go 20 miles early, urging him to talk to LNS tower right away because it was a madhouse there! Very funny!

Going out in the a.m. I had a dream controller going through the class B. He told me to proceed on course to LNS, no Colts Neck or any other vectors, and he pointed out all the traffic. Coming home, not so good. I got dumped very rudely for my first time. The frequency was extremely busy and people were stepping on each other. I couldn't get the squawk code NY was giving me (I had already been dropped by Philly Approach). So, after I failed to understand it twice, the controller started venting -- "What's the matter, can't anyone understand me? Is there something wrong with my mike, or what?" And then he told me that since I couldn't get the squawk code he was giving me, sqawk VFR frequency change approved. This was right over Newark. Well, I was at 7500, so I just flew on my own.

Other than that, beautiful flights both ways.

HPNPilot1200 said:
Can't wait for the group picture! Let me know if you would like me to host it on my website, Toby. I have plenty of space and bandwidth!

Jason
OK! Thanks, Jason. Pictures coming later.

Oh they were busy today Toby! Philly was getting very stressed. Glad I filed IFR with all the targets. Glad your home safe.

I've uploaded my pictures as well as Toby's to my gallery from the LNS fly-in! Click here to view the pictures!!

Please e-mail me or post any pictures you have and would like uploaded! Feel free to click a picture twice to open the full size (1600 x 1200 pixels), right-click and download the picture. (Note:: Full picture may appear pixelated at first, allow a minute or so to allow time to download the picture.)

I've also allowed comments to be made by anyone in that sub-album, so feel free to do so! Also - try the slide-show button (top-right) to slide through all the pictures!

The tower did a great job, although I was disappointed I forgot any recording device so I could capture some audio-clips from the fly-in. :-( Hats off to today's LNS Tower staff. I was very impressed! :)

I had a great time and like the glossy blue shoes!

Jason

P.S. I just had to wear my sunglasses so everyone could recognize me ;-)

Last edited:
Next time we gotta get a departure sequence going -- I thought Toby's landing light was going to burn out before she got cleared to taxi.

Not really on the subject but ........At around 5:30 pm a light plane crashed near LNS 4 abaord, all in hospital (alive), crashed throw a barn roof , Hope it wasn't anybody from our group. When i find out more i'll post it here
Dave G.
P.S. nice pictures jason

Last edited:
News update.......... wasn't anybody from our group, they were from western Pa and flew to NJ for the day, stopped at LNS for fuel i guess and crashed into barn. all walked away from the crash but, pilot and wife still in hospital, 21 year old and foreign exchange student released.
Glad that LUCK was with them.
Dave G

Jealous. I had a concert. Please keep me informed about the next one.

HPNPilot1200 said:
Jason

P.S. I just had to wear my sunglasses so everyone could recognize me ;-)

I was gonna say, without sunglasses and a hat you sure look different! :goofy:

As promised, Janet and I called LNS tower after we got back to S37. They were delighted to have a visit and some donuts, so we took 2 dozen Dunkin' Donuts and drove back. The view from the tower is awesome! They can have ringside seats for your landings on 26, so beware in future!

The controller who did the heaviest lifting when we were inbound had gone home at 3pm, but we can all trust that he is eating donuts this am, and no doubt being grateful for a slow morning.

We talked to the tower manager. His estimate was that we added 100 aircraft to the days work. They were really cool about it, and, I think, were taking pride in a day's work well done. He had called over to Fiorentino's and they said they had roughly 130 people from our "little" fly-in!

We thanked them profusely for all the web-boarder pilots involved, made sure they were ok with everything and that we as a group had not imposed too much. Overall, they seemed really happy (and relieved).

Their day was not over though. We left the tower about 5 pm. At around 5:30, a warrior went down in East Lampeter Twp, roughly between LNS and Smoketown. I don't know a lot of details yet but pilot and three passengers all came out alive. If our local information is correct, it is one of the trainers/renters from Advantage Aero. Don't know if you western plane information is correct Shipoke or my local tail number info. Guess we will just have to wait to see. They had declared an emergency prior to landing, so the controllers had yet more excitement before the day ended.

As to 143ME, many of you heard Janet get "instruments" to MDT. She shot the ILS31 at MDT, came back and shot the RNAV8 at LNS, and then we went home. 2.2 in the hobbes for a flight from S37, to MDT to LNS to S37. Lots of fun as the King's say in their videos.

Toby, when you put on a fly-in, you PUT ON A FLY-IN! Thanks for all the hard work. It was great to meet so many of you and see some of you again.

Jim and Janet

AdamZ said:
Wow! Awesome time indeed! Toby you are just the best. Great organizationation on your part. It it was good food, good flying and good people, what more can you ask. That 31kt head wind that had my ground speed at 75 to 85 on the way out there had me at 143 on the way home. Toby you really made ATC work today. LNS tower did a great job. On the way home Harrisburg a approach gave me the most intersting traffic call I have ever had 24R multiple targets behind you same direction advise when you have targets in sight. Uhhhh Ok. Then about 12 W of KLOM I got 24R taffic at your 12:00 opposite direction same altitude. then traffic at your 10 then 4 then 2 then 24R multiple targets all quadrants. Got a traffic alert whoooo lotsa of work.
Anyway Gary, Ron, Toby, Jim G, Skip, Bob Greg just to many to name. Great seeing you all and hope you all had a safe flight home. Toby you are the Queen. Oh Ron awesome job squeezing me in with millimeters to spare.
See you all at Wings on May 20. More to follow.
Hey Adam sounds like a great time can't wait for Wings

Jim thank you i thought Womelsdorf was in western Pa.my mistake. Atleast there was no fatalities,
Dave G

grattonja said:
As promised, Janet and I called LNS tower after we got back to S37. They were delighted to have a visit and some donuts, so we took 2 dozen Dunkin' Donuts and drove back.
Thanks for doing that, Jim. The tower does deserve the AttaBoy! I'm sure we added a bit too much excitement to his dull Saturday in January routine!

-Skip

Just checked out the gallery of pictures, what a crowd! That looks like so much fun.

SAFE TRAVELS ALL..

great pics, sounds like everyone had a good time! (I'm amazed everything looks so GREEN over there.)

Toby, you should hire yourself out to organize fly-ins. Sounds like a brilliant success.

BTW, Jason, my vote is for the pic with the hat, definitely. Headsets look better with hats for some reason. :D

terry

terzap said:
Toby, you should hire yourself out to organize fly-ins.
Like a party planner for pilots? Hey, I could even branch out in my spare time (!) and do a variety of fly-ins -- like Sweet Sixteens or Speed Dating for Pilots.

And you know I'm kidding.

It was great seeing everybody. We got to meet Elizabeth and put a few more names with faces. It was definately interesting getting in. We listened to the madness on the tower freq. for 30+ miles inbound hoping it would get better. It didn't and we ended up orbiting 7 miles out waiting to get a word in edgewise, hence the early departure to avoid the rush.

Looking forward to the Wings BBQ on 5/20.

Greg
182RG

I'm so sad I missed it. Arrrrg!
I feel the need for a LOOOOOONG cross-country...

--Kath

I'd like to add my thanks for an outstanding job by the organizers. Cathy has mentioned repeatedly how much fun she had. I also had a great time, and wish I'd had more time to talk to several folks instead of just a "Hi, nice to meet you." Thank again :)

Back