Little bit of downtime...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I went to replace a failed hard drive in the PoA server tonight (software RAID-1). Shut it down. Put new drive in. Then it wouldn't boot. Damn. So an expected downtime of 5 minutes turned into about 30.

Kind of annoying but at least on CentOS5 when you do a RAID-1 install it configures grub to use one of the two drives. The drive that failed was the one that it configured.

So I had to load a rescue linux, write a linux raid config file, start the raid subsystem, mount the boot partiton, edit the grub config files, and reinstall grub on the one good drive. That got it booted.

Now the drives are syncing and we should be back to normal before too long.

Wondered what happened...

I really appreciate that explanation, Jesse. Thanks so much for clearing that problem right up.

If you need any help, let me know.

I was pretty good at C:/md and all that stuff.

:rofl:

Gee, you could have called IBM like I did a bunch of years ago. The tech replaced one of the hot-swappable drives in a 0+1 array and said he needed to run the initialize utility.

"Oops. Sorry" he said as he walked out the door.

I wish the CentOS installer was smarter than that. Have done the same thing for ham radio and other servers. Grub has been able to handle two disks for startup of a RAID for a long time now.

Thanks for schlepping to the datacenter for us all!

Time to install synchronously mirrored SAN nodes and a pair of vSphere hosts. You wouldn't want us POAers to suffer with needless with downtime?

What about the cost of downtime? I won't be able to drunk post in the middle of the night and all that whiskey will go to waste.

Thank you, Jesse!

I am not against the idea, but it might reduce his ability to support the server...

But on the other hand, more people might understand his explanations.

I would think that for all the money I give them to use this site they could afford a little bett...
uh, wait. Never mind.
Thanks Jesse.

So does anyone know why Chat is broke?

I am not against the idea, but it might reduce his ability to support the server...

I've known more than one functional alcoholic in charge of running much more critical computer systems. (Which is actually sad. Not sure why I felt compelled to type that. And no way is Jesse in that category.)

I've known more than one functional alcoholic in charge of running much more critical computer systems. (Which is actually sad. Not sure why I felt compelled to type that. And no way is Jesse in that category.)

Ok, you talked me into it. Who is hosting the PayPal account for the donations to the "let's get Jesse drunk" fund? :dunno:

All of what you said sounds like English, but I couldn't understand it.

But thanks!

I went to replace a failed hard drive in the PoA server tonight (software RAID-1). Shut it down. Put new drive in. Then it wouldn't boot. Damn. So an expected downtime of 5 minutes turned into about 30.

Kind of annoying but at least on CentOS5 when you do a RAID-1 install it configures grub to use one of the two drives. The drive that failed was the one that it configured.

So I had to load a rescue linux, write a linux raid config file, start the raid subsystem, mount the boot partiton, edit the grub config files, and reinstall grub on the one good drive. That got it booted.

I have been in IT for years. Allow me to translate:

The main computer that runs this website broke (this is the generic term for all computer problems. "What's wrong with your computer?" "My computer broke"). Jesse replaced the bad part. For some reason Jesse estimated it would only take 5 minutes (the eternal optimism of an IT guy. I am guessing he uttered the dreaded J word "this is just going to take 5 minutes", which always jinxes it.) Using his vast experience and skills, Jesse overcame the problem and brought the computer back up in only 30 minutes.

Ok, you talked me into it. Who is hosting the PayPal account for the donations to the "let's get Jesse drunk" fund? :dunno:

You know, up until just now I had no idea our Federal Government says its illegal to ship liquor without a license. Land of the Free, indeed.

As far as which account, I could do it, but would basically have to mail or forward it to Jesse as money... Somehow I made it to 40 years old not knowing that I couldn't just pay FedEx to hump a bottle of Canadian Whiskey around.

Shows how much drinking I do.

AFAIK there's not even a service similar to FFL for firearms shipments. It'd be easier for me to send Jesse a handgun than a bottle of Crown. (Not that he'd mind! Haha.)

I guess we could treat it like the gnome and shuttle it in private aircraft to Nebraska. Heheheh. (That'd be kinda funny, actually. Problem is, about the only folk between here and there are in Wichita, which isn't really in-between. Could get one of the other Nebraska pilots to come West a bit and make it a two-hopper, but hell... It's only one tank of gas in my 182. Heh.

Maybe a post-Christmas Nebraska run just for the Halibut? ;) Go peek at the FlyBaby. Take some chocolates to the folks at SilverHawk too, or something? Who knows...

I'm definitely in need of a long XC though. Too much work is making Nate annoyed. :)

PoA Nebraska fly in/delivery run? :)

You know, up until just now I had no idea our Federal Government says its illegal to ship liquor without a license. Land of the Free, indeed.

As far as which account, I could do it, but would basically have to mail or forward it to Jesse as money... Somehow I made it to 40 years old not knowing that I couldn't just pay FedEx to hump a bottle of Canadian Whiskey around.

Shows how much drinking I do.

AFAIK there's not even a service similar to FFL for firearms shipments. It'd be easier for me to send Jesse a handgun than a bottle of Crown. (Not that he'd mind! Haha.)

I guess we could treat it like the gnome and shuttle it in private aircraft to Nebraska. Heheheh. (That'd be kinda funny, actually. Problem is, about the only folk between here and there are in Wichita, which isn't really in-between. Could get one of the other Nebraska pilots to come West a bit and make it a two-hopper, but hell... It's only one tank of gas in my 182. Heh.

Maybe a post-Christmas Nebraska run just for the Halibut? ;) Go peek at the FlyBaby. Take some chocolates to the folks at SilverHawk too, or something? Who knows...

I'm definitely in need of a long XC though. Too much work is making Nate annoyed. :)

PoA Nebraska fly in/delivery run? :)

Well, if you are up to the flight, otherwise, they can ship to Nebraska (Colorado, too). I have used this site before (and they sell Crown). http://www.klwines.com/state_legality.asp

Back