Listening to music on flight

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I have a Faro G2 headset with the aux cable plug for music. I plan on listening to music on part of my flight next week. I assume when ATC calls the music stops and starts again? Is there an extended pause after ATC calls or does the music start up again immediately, then pauses when I call ATC back? (i.e. Music, ATC call, music, ATC mic response, music).

Jason

I don't know anything about that headset - I'm sure the user manual will explain. Most intercoms do exactly what you are describing and music comes back on pretty quickly. With a headset, I think it will mute the secondary audio source if anything (e.g., a passenger in your plane or ATC) starts talking - it doesnt know the difference unlike an intercom.

The Lightspeed Zulu line of headsets have an auto-mute function when ANY thing other than music comes across the headphone speakers. So it does essentially what the OP is asking for.

However, I had found that to be a bit annoying when my singing along, loud exhale, or conversations with passengers cut out the music.

So my current method is to use the feature to defeat the auto mute, and tune the sound level so that I hear it, but it is background to ATC or passenger conversation.

If the OP's Fao headset doesn't auto mute, he could use my "background sound level" method.

That headset has the most basic Left/Right Audio in connection ONLY, no auto-mute, no bypass audio control, no phone interface.
If you want an ability to cross control aux audio and/or auto-mute features between aux and comm you need a headset that has a Bluetooth option or a headset that has mux volume (volume controls that you can control the volume of the auxiliary audio and the comm audio in both ears, one ear, etc.

For your question about the function of a system that implements an auto-mute system, yes there is a full mute of the aux audio and a delay after every comm interruption, then the aux audio climbs in level, rinse and repeat. And yes, every single operation that creates what is called a "side tone" (via sound coming in through the speakers {including your own voice}) will interrupt the auxiliary audio (i.e. comm out, comm in, annunciations, etc.)

Last edited:
That headset has the most basic Left/Right Audio in connection ONLY, no auto-mute, no bypass audio control, no phone interface.
If you want an ability to cross control aux audio and/or auto-mute features between aux and comm you need a headset that has a Bluetooth option or a headset that has mux volume (volume controls that you can control the volume of the auxiliary audio and the comm audio in both ears, one ear, etc.

For your question about the function of a system that implements an auto-mute system, yes there is a full mute of the aux audio and a delay after every comm interruption, then the aux audio climbs in level, rinse and repeat. And yes, every single operation that creates what is called a "side tone" will interrupt the auxiliary audio (i.e. comm out, comm in, annunciations, etc.)

So... I assume the intercom is doing all the "magic" :dunno::dunno:

So... I assume the intercom is doing all the "magic" :dunno::dunno:

The intercom does nothing but push sound signals out either through the antenna or the jacks.

The headset control module does all the work, and the speakers.

Last edited:
My PS intercom will do the "magic" as well as my Lightspeed Zulu's... depends on what I have the music plugged into. I prefer plugging the music into the intercom so that all passengers can hear it. It's relaxing for a first time passenger.

-Andrew

Yes, some intercoms will handle auxiliary audio feeds and the auto-mute, but you have no option to turn it off.

Additionally, he's asking about the headset, not the intercom right?

Yes, asking about the headset not intercom. The headset has individual volume on each side so maybe that will help. In either case I will give it a try next week. Or use one earbud under the headset. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, some intercoms will handle auxiliary audio feeds and the auto-mute, but you have no option to turn it off.

Hmmm.

My PSE PMA8000B allows two separate music sources, so pax and crew can have different entertainment, if they choose. The muting can be selected to be full (meaning the music mutes each time any radio traffic is received), or "karaoke," in which case the music remains on at all times except when the PTT is engaged. I like music on all the time, but I can mute it completely with the push of a button. Very nice.

Not true. My Garmin GMA 350 has a dizzying number of configurations - including the option to turn off auto-mute. Depends on the intercom. It also has 3 different secondary audio inputs (two wired jacks, plus XM) so you could have pilot, co-pilot and back seat pax all listening to different sources and all with different auto-mute settings.

All great about the intercoms, but he's asking about the headset...

The answer is no on that headset, there is no auto-mute.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a post yet about how horrible and unsafe of a person the OP must be for listening to music in flight!!!

I posted a similar thread awhile back about the best options for satellite radio and it made it about 10 or 11 posts before I was a bad person for not listening only to ATC, even though i have auto-mute

The beauty of a bluetooth headset is for making/answering phone calls. I have stereo music input for my PM2000 as well as Zulu 2s. Music isn't a big deal to me but an occasional phone call is handy. No bluetooth for Iridium so that one still uses a Safety Cell adaptor. Old school! If I stack them I can have cell phone, iPhone music, satellite phone, and comm radio all available at the same time. Heck I could plug an iPad into the music jack and watch a movie, too! :wink2:

I find it too annoying trying to listen to music flying. I hate when songs cut in and out.

I find it much less distracting to eliminate the auto-mute. I listen to music from engine start to engine stop. I've done that for about 400 hours now without issue.

The Lightspeed Zulu line of headsets have an auto-mute function when ANY thing other than music comes across the headphone speakers. So it does essentially what the OP is asking for.

However, I had found that to be a bit annoying when my singing along, loud exhale, or conversations with passengers cut out the music.

So my current method is to use the feature to defeat the auto mute, and tune the sound level so that I hear it, but it is background to ATC or passenger conversation.

If the OP's Fao headset doesn't auto mute, he could use my "background sound level" method.

This is exactly what I do, especially on really long days, and on cross countries with students. I just keep it quiet enough I can clearly hear ATC or a students questions over whatever I have playing

"Is that Freedom Rock? Well, Turn it up Man!"
I need to upgrade. Just been listening to country music on the old ADF. Doesn't quite cut it. :0)

I use a Pilot Blu Link plugged into the panel before my Intercom and it works great.. mutes when we speak or radio traffic comes on and gradually raises the volume back up over a few seconds.. I blue tooth it to my iPad so I get to hear all the Foreflight stuff too..

Seems to work well and not a distraction at all.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a post yet about how horrible and unsafe of a person the OP must be for listening to music in flight!!!

I posted a similar thread awhile back about the best options for satellite radio and it made it about 10 or 11 posts before I was a bad person for not listening only to ATC, even though i have auto-mute

It depends, were you a student at the time? If so it's dangerous, but the second you get your ticket music is okay. Cmon you should know that:D.

I find it too annoying trying to listen to music flying. I hate when songs cut in and out.

+1. I think I used the adapter twice on my headset. It was nice if NOT on FF. I hear enough in the car that the flying is fun sans music.

The beauty of a bluetooth headset is for making/answering phone calls. I have stereo music input for my PM2000 as well as Zulu 2s. Music isn't a big deal to me but an occasional phone call is handy. No bluetooth for Iridium so that one still uses a Safety Cell adaptor. Old school! If I stack them I can have cell phone, iPhone music, satellite phone, and comm radio all available at the same time. Heck I could plug an iPad into the music jack and watch a movie, too! :wink2:

Agreed! That setup is great too!

I find it much less distracting to eliminate the auto-mute. I listen to music from engine start to engine stop. I've done that for about 400 hours now without issue.

Yes, I can't deal with the auto-mute either. I adjust the comms up a bit, and my audio down and voila, perfect. If I want to mute the music, I am PIC and do it myself!

"Is that Freedom Rock? Well, Turn it up Man!"
I need to upgrade. Just been listening to country music on the old ADF. Doesn't quite cut it. :0)

Wow, you did not just break out Freedom Rock!! Many moons ago, I used to listen to that and have a good left handed cigarette.

I use a Pilot Blu Link plugged into the panel before my Intercom and it works great.. mutes when we speak or radio traffic comes on and gradually raises the volume back up over a few seconds.. I blue tooth it to my iPad so I get to hear all the Foreflight stuff too..
Seems to work well and not a distraction at all.

That's why we use that system exclusively. It's got all the goodies!

+1. I think I used the adapter twice on my headset. It was nice if NOT on FF. I hear enough in the car that the flying is fun sans music.

I completely agree with this, except on a long cross country, I want some tunes to pass the time.

Back