Lipotor

U

Unregistered

If a doc wants to prescribe Lipotor solely on the basis of cholesterol levels, I have three questions: 1) Does this ground a pilot (assuming everything else is normal), 2) Would the FAA need further tests, and 3) How and when does one report this?

Thank you

I'm sure Bruce will chime in here. I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. That said, I take it. I have a letter from my doctor stating that there have been no side effects, but the AME didn't ask to see it this year. As long as you have no negative reactions the AME is likely to not care. Get your LDL under control and have fun flying.

I am on Lipitor for cholestrol and Diovan for BP. Both are OK with the FAA.

Report it at your next medical. It really helps if you bring a letter from your Doc saying something like:

Joe Blow was noted to have an elevated cholesterol level at his last routine exam. He has no evidence of heart disease at this time. He was started on Lipitor (include dose and schedule that you take it) as a preventive measure with good results. He is experiencing NO side effects. (Include your cholesterol results.)

With that, no AME should give you any problem, and if there are no other issues they can give you the medical. It is not a deferral-type issue.

Barb (AME)

One Short said:
Report it at your next medical. It really helps if you bring a letter from your Doc saying something like:

Joe Blow was noted to have an elevated cholesterol level at his last routine exam. He has no evidence of heart disease at this time. He was started on Lipitor (include dose and schedule that you take it) as a preventive measure with good results. He is experiencing NO side effects. (Include your cholesterol results.)

With that, no AME should give you any problem, and if there are no other issues they can give you the medical. It is not a deferral-type issue.

So true. "Now be a good dear, and enjoy your Lipitor and toast".
Sigh.

Unregistered said:
If a doc wants to prescribe Lipotor solely on the basis of cholesterol levels, I have three questions: 1) Does this ground a pilot (assuming everything else is normal), 2) Would the FAA need further tests, and 3) How and when does one report this?

Thank you
I take Lipitor and several other medications. In answer to your questions,
1) no
2) no. If your blood pressure was elevated, you should have an ECG or EKG.
3) At your next medical exam, bring a letter from your doctor. A status report, regardless of what it is written for, should include basic comments from your treating physician about your medical history. What is the condition that you are being treated for? What symptoms were noted? How long were you treated? What specific treatment regimen, if any, was followed, such as surgery, chemotherapy, or physical therapy? Was medication prescribed? If so, what medication, in what dosage, and the how frequently was it taken? Have there been any side effects from the medication? What is the prognosis? Have any life-style changes been recommended by your physician, such as a suggestion to stop smoking, begin an exercise program, or make dietary changes? Are there any limitations placed on your activities, including no heavy lifting or restricted physical activity?

AuntPeggy said:
I take Lipitor and several other medications. In answer to your questions,
1) no
2) no. If your blood pressure was elevated, you should have an ECG or EKG.
3) At your next medical exam, bring a letter from your doctor. A status report, regardless of what it is written for, should include basic comments from your treating physician about your medical history. What is the condition that you are being treated for? What symptoms were noted? How long were you treated? What specific treatment regimen, if any, was followed, such as surgery, chemotherapy, or physical therapy? Was medication prescribed? If so, what medication, in what dosage, and the how frequently was it taken? Have there been any side effects from the medication? What is the prognosis? Have any life-style changes been recommended by your physician, such as a suggestion to stop smoking, begin an exercise program, or make dietary changes? Are there any limitations placed on your activities, including no heavy lifting or restricted physical activity?

So you're my Aunt Peggy that I have to blame my high cholesorol on!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back