Linx surgery

AdamT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AdamT
Hello,

Growing up, I always wanted to fly. I know timing in this industry isn't great, but I'm considering trying a second career in aviation.

Growing up I had issues with heartburn. Took Prilosec for about a year until I heard about risks of taking it long-term. I had what's called a Linx implant, to prevent the heartburn, and haven't had any more episodes. I'm not on any medication

Can I still get a medical? I heard requirements are strict.

Thanks,
A

I know timing in this industry isn't great, but I'm considering trying a second career in aviation.
In aviation, timing is everything. The industry went into the toilet at 8:46 am on Sept 1st 2001 and stayed that way for years. Then it started to get better and eventually it got to where switching careers and starting from zero was feasible for anyone who was willing to save a nest egg and then live cheap for a few years.

All that changed a month ago. I would predict starting from zero and getting to an airline gig is going to be like it was after 2001 again and it will probably stay that way for a few years. It won't be completely impossible but it'll probably be close.

That should not be an issue- does require some documentation, though.

Thank you for the quick reply. Would this be a special issuance I've read about on the FAA website, or a normal medical?

In aviation, timing is everything. The industry went into the toilet at 8:46 am on Sept 1st 2001 and stayed that way for years. Then it started to get better and eventually it got to where switching careers and starting from zero was feasible for anyone who was willing to save a nest egg and then live cheap for a few years.

All that changed a month ago. I would predict starting from zero and getting to an airline gig is going to be like it was after 2001 again and it will probably stay that way for a few years. It won't be completely impossible but it'll probably be close.

I appreciate your input JH.

Hello Adam,

Any updates on your condition? I’m about to get the linx and also heading towards regionals. Did you have any complication with it specially flying? Also any hurdles with the FAA medical?
Thanks!

Back