Line Breaks?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I seem to be having a problem with line breaks carrying through to posts. The system is cramming all my paragraphs, carefully separated for dramatic and literary effect, into one, mouth-breathing mass. Oh! The humanity! Edit: See: this post was entered as three paragraphs. Next thing we know, it will start converting words into Internet-shorthand, converting "their" to "there," and inserting apostrophes into "its" in the possessive context.

Are you using Firefox?

If so, clear out your cache and next time you're posting or editing a post, hit CTRL-F5 before you start typing to force all the javascript to reload.

Greebo said:
Are you using Firefox?

If so, clear out your cache and next time you're posting or editing a post, hit CTRL-F5 before you start typing to force all the javascript to reload.
Wow, this Firefox browser you guys rage about sure does seem cool. :D

Steve said:
Spike, I've had the same problem with IE.

It seems to occur intermittently.

I'm surprised the software would be so sensitive to end user browser cache status, but then I'm no internet application expert.
Its because the vBulletin software uses a number of supporting files to power the editor, and in an attempt to conserve bandwidth, browsers usually store supporting files locally to prevent them from having to be re-downloaded every single time.

Its really a throwback to the pre-broadband days, but there are still lots of dialup users who need the caching to keep pages like the editor page from taking twice as long to load.

If you're seeing this line break problem in IE, go to Tools - Options, and click Delete Files. Make sure you check Delete all offline content before pushing OK. Now wait until it finishes (this can take a while) and then close the dialog boxes and close down your browsers, and then reopen them and go on with your browsing.

I think you mean elegance, not eloquence.

As for the commentary about how software "improvements" are measured, I don't see how that relates to whether or not clearing your cache (which by the way, mere words can't express how glad I am that you already know how to do) actually fixed the problem?

Seems to me software "problems" are measured by how verbose and unrelated to the point the reporters can be these days instead of the elegence of describing the problem, trying a proposed solution, and reporting on the results.

Throw me a bone here folks - I'm trying to troubleshoot the issues as they come up, but I can do without the commentary and would prefer that threads dealing with problems in the software stick to the problem. I don't have time to wade through the chaff to get to the info I can use.

Steve and Spike are already top contenders for the Gaston's Hemingway Award next year. Although Steve may yet end up with the Fake Avatar Award, who knows.

Back