Like riding a bicycle!

Jhernandez04

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheHulk
Well I flew for the first time in 9 months and I was nervous I would not be able to pick up where I left off.......

1.9 hours later and 5 landings I realized that I had not lost any flying ability, just the confidence that comes with flying often. My instructor was very impressed with my abilities. He said I was too rough on myself as I would ask him often if I was doing good.

A few things to work on though, airspeed on short final; a little too fast 100-90 when I should be 80-90 and altitude was too high on a few approaches but I just put the nose down.

Overall a very pleasant feeling, we discussed my worries about turbulence and the wings falling off. He told me I would have to try very hard to tear the wings off as the certified planes are tested very rigorously and they can handle upwards of 4/5 g's before breaking apart (he explained that even though they test them this high, they are not certified for such maneuvers)
Which I knew but it was nice for such a reassuring talk.

I'll be flying again soon and then prepping for my check-ride if everything goes smoothly!

You can try a steep turn at approaching (but not exceeding!) 60 deg. That will approximate HALF the certified G's any normal category aircraft can take. There are margins on top of that, as your instructor suggested. If it's fully coordinated, constant airspeed, and level, that's two G's. Normal category is certified to 3.8, and there is generally a 50% margin on top of that (I would never recommend depending on that).

Once you see what 2 G's feels like, you'll figure out you don't see anywhere near that much in normal flight, even in moderate turbulence.

On top of that, light aircraft pilots seem to overstate turbulence all the time. See the AIM definitions -- moderate is pretty uncomfortable.

What get's me when I haven't flown for two or three weeks is I'll do a greaser the first one or two landings, then go to **** on the rest.

I need to quit when I'm ahead. :rolleyes:

What get's me when I haven't flown for two or three weeks is I'll do a greaser the first one or two landings, then go to **** on the rest.

The Beginner's Mind. :yes:

You can try a steep turn at approaching (but not exceeding!) 60 deg. That will approximate HALF the certified G's any normal category aircraft can take. There are margins on top of that, as your instructor suggested. If it's fully coordinated, constant airspeed, and level, that's two G's. Normal category is certified to 3.8, and there is generally a 50% margin on top of that (I would never recommend depending on that).

Once you see what 2 G's feels like, you'll figure out you don't see anywhere near that much in normal flight, even in moderate turbulence.

On top of that, light aircraft pilots seem to overstate turbulence all the time. See the AIM definitions -- moderate is pretty uncomfortable.

This.

2Gs means the plane weighs literally twice as much as it does normally. The turbulence you experience might be 1.2 or 1.3 Gs.

You can feel 2 Gs.

I'm starting to trust the airplane as you guys have suggested. It really helps my confidence when you all +cfi echo the same exact thing.

A few things to work on though, airspeed on short final; a little too fast 100-90 when I should be 80-90 and altitude was too high on a few approaches but I just put the nose down.

This is why you were fast. If you are high, keep the nose right where it's at and reduce the power. Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude.

This is why you were fast. If you are high, keep the nose right where it's at and reduce the power. Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude.

You are correct, I was not familiar with the land marks so that played a small role in the mistakes but nothing major was lacking. I'll polish up this weekend!

Or even pitch UP. The nose isn't a gunsight. You'll descend much easier at the correct airspeed. That's 60 KIAS in a PA28. See the POH, and use the LOW end of the range since you're light.

Last edited:
Back