Like aerobatics? Formation? 1v1 ACM? Then check this out.

ChiefPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChiefPilot
The second year of flying my RV-6A is drawing to a close, and as I look back, I'm amazed at how much I've learned along the way. I put this video together to capture some of it - it's an amazing aircraft, one that has taught me more about flying than anything else I've flown. While it does straight-and-level as good as any other aircraft, it excels at formation and aerobatics. My favorite part was capturing the "pilot's halo" while descending through an undercast while on an IFR plan. Seeing the halo around the airplane was fitting, I thought.

The first year, aside from various trips here and there, was spent learning the airplane and getting familiar with how it behaves doing basic aerobatics. The second year was much the same, except I worked with an experienced aerobatics and ACM instructor. Starting with basic formation flight, we worked up through various exercises as I learned basic ACM. Each flight was planned, pre- and post-briefed, and flown in accordance with a specific set of training rules (you can see our training rules here).

I can't help but feel I'm in the middle of my flying career with this airplane - year one was great and year two was awesome. I can't wait to see what year three holds!

Last edited:
Back