Lightspeed Zulu PFX LEMO question

tuwood

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tuwood
I'm a brand new student (4.7 hours) and just picked up my new LEMO Lightspeed Zulu PFX on Friday before my training flight.
I read through the manual before I got there because I knew I was getting it, but when I jumped in the plane and plugged it in the ears instantly came alive. I clicked on the power button and it didn't seem to change anything. I tried holding the action button to activate the acoustic ear mapping, and I never got the ear tones. After dorking with it for a minute or so I just gave up because they were working fine and I could hear fine. Flight was uneventful, but I suspect I was just running with the basic noise canceling mode versus the advanced.
I figured I'd play with them this week to see what I was doing wrong, and now realize that it's a little hard to power them up without a LEMO plug (duh). I tried plugging in the USB and it did make the green power light blink and the action indicators stayed solid red. I checked the firmware update and it saw it fine, so I know it was talking but I'm guessing the USB only puts it in a limited functionality state for firmware upgrades versus booting it all the way up.

I'd like to go through the setup and settings with flightlink on my iPad prior to getting into the cockpit so I was thinking about ordering one of these:
http://www.pilot-usa.com/adapters/ga-adapters/pa-89b.html

So I guess my question is, will the headset power up fully outside of the plane with the adapter so I can set it up and learn the features?

btw, I am learning in a Cirrus and plan to purchase one, so that's why I got the LEMO. I may occasionally fly in other GA planes so I figured I'd need to get the LEMO to GA plugs adapter at some point anyway.

Actual power to the headset functions is provided by AA batteries. You have installed some of these, yes? All the LEMO or bayonet plugs do is permit audio/voice connection to the radios/intercom. No power is transferred.

If yes to fresh batteries being installed., then it is possible to pair the PFX's to your mobile device and FlightLink via Bluetooth when away from the cockpit.

The USB connection is not for power, but to download new firmware when Lightspeed makes it available.

Actual power to the headset functions is provided by AA batteries. You have installed some of these, yes? All the LEMO or bayonet plugs do is permit audio/voice connection to the radios/intercom. No power is transferred.

If yes to fresh batteries being installed., then it is possible to pair the PFX's to your mobile device and FlightLink via Bluetooth when away from the cockpit.

The USB connection is not for power, but to download new firmware when Lightspeed makes it available.

The LEMO one doesn't have batteries, they even remove the battery bay completely because it gets full power from the panel via the LEMO jack.

I did just call Lightspeed support and they were very helpful. Apparently depending on the plane it will connect the audio through when you plug it in without actually "powering on" the unit. So I still need to power on the unit after plugging it in and then after a few seconds hit the Ear Scan button.
She wasn't 100% sure, but thought the adapter I linked above would work fine for booting it up outside of the plane if I wanted to.

All power comes directly from the panel. No batteries required when using a Lemo system.
Depending on the panel installation, your headset should come online with either the master battery, avionics or a combination of both.

With that headset, you should be able to utilize the onboard batteries with the headset to power on the headset outside the aircraft, regardless of the connection (dual plug, lemo, TP120, U-384/U, etc.). You shouldn't need any additional adapter with that particular headset, but yes, that adapter will allow you to power ANY headset without panel power with a lemo plug.

With some headsets, there is no way to power the headset without the aircraft power or an adapter (like you posted). But I don't believe the PFX is one of those.

Last edited:
All power comes directly from the panel. No batteries required when using a Lemo system.
Depending on the panel installation, your headset should come online with either the master battery, avionics or a combination of both.

With that headset, you should be able to utilize the onboard batteries with the headset to power on the headset outside the aircraft, regardless of the connection (dual plug, lemo, TP120, U-384/U, etc.). You shouldn't need any additional adapter with that particular headset.

With some headsets, there is no way to power the headset without the aircraft power or an adapter (like you posted). But I don't believe the PFX is one of those.

On these they completely removed the battery tray so there's no power options at all outside the plane. I guess the pro is that you don't have to ever put batteries in them, but the con is you never get to put batteries in them. lol

The LEMO one doesn't have batteries, they even remove the battery bay completely because it gets full power from the panel via the LEMO jack.

I did just call Lightspeed support and they were very helpful. Apparently depending on the plane it will connect the audio through when you plug it in without actually "powering on" the unit. So I still need to power on the unit after plugging it in and then after a few seconds hit the Ear Scan button.
She wasn't 100% sure, but thought the adapter I linked above would work fine for booting it up outside of the plane if I wanted to.

With that headset, you should be able to utilize the onboard batteries with the headset to power on the headset outside the aircraft, regardless of the connection (dual plug, lemo, TP120, U-384/U, etc.). You shouldn't need any additional adapter with that particular headset, but yes, that adapter will allow you to power ANY headset without panel power with a lemo plug.

This is why I went with the Bose A20 LEMOs for me and Zulu LEMOs only for copilot.

If I fly a non-LEMO airplane I would like to still have ANR. Just put on the LEMO-to-twin-plug adapter and the A20s still have ANR. With the LEMO Zulus you get no ANR in that scenario.

I think it's stupid that Lightspeed doesn't put a battery backup in their LEMO headsets.

Back