Lightspeed Zulu Headset

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just looked over the LS Zulu headset last week when I stopped by PilotMall.com's Albert Witted pilot shop and I was impressed. The construction seems really good, way better than any other LS product. The ear stirrups look to be better molded than the ones in previous incarnations of LS headsets. In other LS HSs their stirrups are prone to cracking and I have seen the failure mode myself in a friends HS.

What intrigued me the most was the Bluetooth interface and the materials used in the HS itself. The Bluetooth interface is really cool and the ANR seemed better than the Bose in a subjective comparison. But then LS ANR has always been good. I am a little apprehensive about their electronics as LS has had problems there before, especially in the early QFR line.

For me, the Zulu fit better than the Bose.

But I am intrigued enough to possibly buy a set. I will still keep my very good and reliable David Clark H10-13XLs in the plane just in case the LS goes TU.

My new Zulu's should be here tomorrow and I will fly with them this coming weekend or sooner if I get the chance and will report back what I think. If they suck please standby as I will be selling them. But if not I'll have a set of something to sell, probably my old QFRs that sit in the pax seat.

Scott,

which day were you there last week? I was in Pilotmall last Friday, while they were getting ready for the open house, and there was a guy had a Chicago sectional on the counter.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, we'll need a pirep once you get them. I'm very happy with my Bose headset, but sounds like (pardon the pun) Lightspeed finally has a true competitor. For me, the Bose fit perfectly. I've flown 3.5hr legs without any discomfort; with my old 30-3gs I'd start aching at about 2hrs, or less.

Well, we'll need a pirep once you get them. I'm very happy with my Bose headset, but sounds like (pardon the pun) Lightspeed finally has a true competitor. For me, the Bose fit perfectly. I've flown 3.5hr legs without any discomfort; with my old 30-3gs I'd start aching at about 2hrs, or less.

I had both the 20XLs and the 20-3Gs from LS and did not find them as comfortable as my David Clarks. The LS would start bugging me in a little over an hour, the DC I have had on all day without any worries.

When I tried the Zulus and the Bose the latter felt like it was trying to slip up my head whereas the Zulu was giving a good squeeze on the ear.

Very much looking forward to the PIREP Scott! :yes:
Well I hope the have the HS later today and will play with it tonoight after I get back form the gym. I have a planned flight for the 10th and will use it then. hopefully I will find some time earlier in the week to fly and if I do y'all hear about the HS.

Scott

just got a call from Tropic Aero, where I ordered the Zulu from, they wanted to know what was going on with the shipment and why I did not accept it. Seems that they sent it per request next day air but also with signature required. They had not told me they would do that and I am not at home to get it. So UPS did not deliver today. They will try again tomorrow and I will be working form home that day so I should have it tomorrow in the am.

I am a little miffed the TA did not tell me that it would be a signature required item but kudos for staying on top of it.

just got a call from Tropic Aero, where I ordered the Zulu from, they wanted to know what was going on with the shipment and why I did not accept it. Seems that they sent it per request next day air but also with signature required. They had not told me they would do that and I am not at home to get it. So UPS did not deliver today. They will try again tomorrow and I will be working form home that day so I should have it tomorrow in the am.

I am a little miffed the TA did not tell me that it would be a signature required item but kudos for staying on top of it.
I once ran into that over a six-dollar piece of smoked plexiglass. UPS refused to release it without a signature. The vendor had to send out another specifically indicating a release without signature. Somebody lost a lot of shipping costs. It wasn't me!

...I am a little miffed the TA did not tell me that it would be a signature required item but kudos for staying on top of it.

Yeah, but at least you didn't have a multi-hundred$ item sitting on your porch all day.

They arrived today.

Attached are three pics I took as I opened the box.

The instruction guide is very simple to use. I would imagine for most people the hardest part will be setting up the headset to work with their Bluetooth interface in their phone. I am going to follow the direction to the letter to see how well their instructions are.

The headset is supplied with all the cables you would need to interface with a cellphone or audio device if you choose to not use Bluetooth. What will be interesting to see is if the Bluetooth iPOD interface I have will talk to these headsets. Not that I would use the Bluetooth to couple the iPOD when I fly as I have an audio input on my panel for it already. But I am curious.

The headset come with batteries already installed. I will put new ones in anyway to see what their life is really like.

One thing I like already over the previous Thirty-3Gs and that is the battery cover cannot be removed from the electronics pod. In the 3G headsets that battery cover was poorly designed and would often fall off. The fix from LS was to start suppling a little sleeve that the whole electronics pod would slip into.

The HS and hardware weighs almost the same as my David Clark H10-13XL BTW, at least according to my postal scale.

The headset came into the house and is quite cold as the OAT is 33F and it had sat in the UPS truck all night. Even with the HS that cold the ear seals were very flexible and soft. They are of a soft leather and unlike the XL or 3G series are easily user replaceable, IOW no double sticky tape holding them on. That is another plus.

BTW the pics are real big so that those that want to can zoom.

More after I fly with them

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Cool, Scott. Now do like Anantech and break the thing open so we can see what's inside. :goofy:

It's looking like I can put that on my someday list for when my DREs run out of replacement parts.

Bluetooth Review:

Not too bad to get hooked up. The instruction could be a little clearer. For instance step one is to turn on BT but then the rest of the pairing operation must be from the off state. So getting the BT off can be a little daunting. The BT button is a multi function button. A short hold does one thing, a medium can do something else, and a long hold will turn the BT. But I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

The rest of the pairing went very smoothly.

One draw back is that there is almost no sidetone and that was a little weird at first. The other was that the call was really loud. I used the main volume sliders and they do nothing to the BT link, I then instantly went to the phone and used those button. Later I realized that there is a seperate BT up and down volume button.

Playing music through the head set is great! Really good quality transducers, they sound as good as other stereo headsets AND this HS support stereo Bluetooth!!!

The HS electronics are prone to the GSM interference or buzz that almost all headsets I have used are. I consider it a feature to let me know that I forgot to turn off my headset prior to starting the flight.

Scott,

Did the GSM noise bug you during the call, or could you put the phone far enough away to eliminate it and still have good Bluetooth signal?

Scott,

Did the GSM noise bug you during the call, or could you put the phone far enough away to eliminate it and still have good Bluetooth signal?
The phone I am using is a Moto KRZR and it is a low power class BT device unlike the Razor which is a high power class. I can move the phone about 10 feet away from the HS and keep a good link. The GSM buzz goes away once the phone is about 3 feet away form the electronics box.

The TDMA signal and the frame rate make GSM interference really tough to eliminate. It was never so high as to annoy me but then I am use to it having used GSM since about 1992. Also the interference never once stopped me from hearing what the other party was saying.

I wonder how the headset knows there's a cellphone connected to the wired input versus a music device, and mutes accordingly. I bet that there's an extra conductor that's shorted to ground on one of the two cables.

I gotta see if my 20-3Gs (which have two separate cables for cell or music) work that way.

I wonder how the headset knows there's a cellphone connected to the wired input versus a music device, and mutes accordingly. I bet that there's an extra conductor that's shorted to ground on one of the two cables.

I gotta see if my 20-3Gs (which have two separate cables for cell or music) work that way.

I don''t think it does. What ever is coming in through the aux input is attenuated 80% when a 'call' ( I read this as a radio call, not phone call) comes in according to the literature.

I the Zulu allows you to turn that feature off which I do not think the 3G series lets you do.

I don''t think it does. What ever is coming in through the aux input is attenuated 80% when a 'call' ( I read this as a radio call, not phone call) comes in according to the literature.

I the Zulu allows you to turn that feature off which I do not think the 3G series lets you do.

that is the way my 30-3Gs work, and i do not know of a way to turn it off. I really like the feature btw.

that is the way my 30-3Gs work, and i do not know of a way to turn it off. I really like the feature btw.
I do too. It is not a headset feature for me though. My plane's intercom does that when you use the external audio input jack. I really doubt I will ever use the Zulu as the point of entry for audio.

well most of the rentals (although a few do!) do not have audio inputs so im on my own. its also handy if you are in a noisy environment but want to have a quiet phone conversation you can just put your headset on. of course you look a little funny doing it.

I'm pretty sure the 3G allows you to control the mute function when feeding music to the aux input. And when I've used the phone connection, there was no muting that I can remember. That said I haven't used the phone or music feature on my headset since I got an audio panel that provides the same functions so my memory of that function could be a bit hazy.

I would have to have a phone volume control, but most of all, A MUTE BUTTON! I can't call in to a work conference from the plane if I can't mute my end. :D

The Bluetooth speakerphone on the Nuvi has no mute. ARGGHHH! I supposedly can use the buttons on the phone but try doing that while driving. :no:

I'm pretty sure the 3G allows you to control the mute function when feeding music to the aux input. And when I've used the phone connection, there was no muting that I can remember. That said I haven't used the phone or music feature on my headset since I got an audio panel that provides the same functions so my memory of that function could be a bit hazy.

It has been many years since I had my 3g so I do not recall how it worked for that feature either. But dose the 3g have two audio inputs? One for ext audio like an mp3 player and then another input for a cellphone??

The Zulu has only one wired input for either a cellphone or a audio device.

I also know that my 3G can mute music, but not phone, and since there are two separate cables, my guess is that they use the extra conductor on the Lightspeed end (there are four conductors on the 3.5 mm connector for the headset) to signal what type of cable it is.

I would have to have a phone volume control, but most of all, A MUTE BUTTON! I can't call in to a work conference from the plane if I can't mute my end. :D

The Bluetooth speakerphone on the Nuvi has no mute. ARGGHHH! I supposedly can use the buttons on the phone but try doing that while driving. :no:

The BT action button on the Zulu does allow you to mute.

But I would not clal into work form the plane purely for coverage reasons.

I finally got to fly with the Zulu yesterday. One could not have picked a more perfect day for flying. No wind to speak of good visibility and the type of flying kept me busy with intercom traffic, ATC, and general radio position announcements as well as some short solo time.

All of my comparisons will be to my trusty and much beloved David Clark 10-13XLs. It has been far too many years since I used a Lightspeed product to properly remember how it worked. If you have read my headset reports on the red board you will note that I do not think too much of LS's product quality. An up close examination of the Zulu showed that they may have finally made strides in improving the mechanics of the headset. See me earlier report on those improvements.

Once in the cockpit and after all checks were made I started the engine. The headset was off but on my head. The Zulu does provide some passive attenuation but not near as much as the David Clark. I tried it with and without sunglasses and noted no difference. The ear seals fit around the glasses very well.

I am used to the sudden reduction in noise that one has come to respect from an ANR headset and once the Zulu's were turned on I noticed a dramatic reduction in engine noise. The ANR really sucked ALL of the low frequency noise out of my ears. I could, at least this is what I think it is, hear the rocker arms in the engine. But most of the engine noise, at idle speed, was gone.

I then made an audio test and realized that I had side tone in only ear. I had to change the headset to mono mode. This is a very small switch inside the battery case. I easily removed the battery and saw the switches, but the writing is so small I could not see which switch to move. But thankfully I now need reading glasses to see charts at night, so I had a set of magnifiers handy and figured out the right switch. Once set and battery inserted I was ready to go and all was well. I did notice an annoying click or 'attack' when audio came in on the radio. This is an artifact of the ANR. But by the end of the flight I was used to it.

Upon take off I really could hear the difference between the DCs and the Zulu. The Zulu not only took low frequency noise out but some of the medium frequencies. It probably has to because it lacks the passive attenuation of the DCs. The result is good to very good performance that is similar to the DCs over all. If batteries were to die or the set is turned off though there is little help these headsets can offer you in passive noise reduction. Get ready for a noisy cockpit if that were to happen. But it has been my experience that LS has very good battery life. I was not able to ascertain how good the Zulus battery life is.

I headed out to pick up a pax and was able to use the Bluetooth phone adapter while taxiing. It was really good and easy to operate. I could hear very well and the other party had no idea I was in the plane with the engine running. This feature alone is a huge win for me. No longer will I have to strain to hear ATC when I get my IFR clearance on the ground. There are no cables to keep track of and lose. Bluetooth can be turned on and of so as to reduce the current consumption on the batteries. In my earlier posting I mentioned that the BT switch is a multi-function switch. By the time I was done with this flight I had gotten used to it's idiosyncrasies and operated it like a pro.

I did note during the flight that if I turned my head left the right seal over my ear would break open and I would hear some extra noise. This has happened to me with other headsets including the DCs. I tried moving cords around and the headset itself but still had the minor issue. I am sure this is related to the shape of my head more than anything.

After take off the second time I was heading toward Midway airport and would be very busy with ATC while I was dodging Southwest Airlines 737s. The headset was great with all of the audio coming in. My right seater was busy talking on another radio for most of this part of the flight, we were on intercom isolate, but I could occasionally hear him over the din in the cockpit thanks to the ANR. When off of isolate I could hear the other radio that was plugged into his part of the intercom very well. and the sound levels were very good. When we were talking to each other the headset was also very good. I did notice that the Zulu did take a little extra effort to break the squelch on my intercom so I had to reset that to the new mic level. The Zulu does have a mic gain knob on the microphone itself, next flight I might play around with that.

Conclusions:

1. The Lightspeed Zulu performs very well for total noise reduction
2. Passive attenuation is lacking and not as good as a David Clark headset
3. Comfort and fit were great. I wore the headset for 3.5 hours and it was as comfortable as my David Clarks
4. The Bluetooth feature kicks butt!

All in all I would say that if you are in the market for a new ANR headset and have $850 to drop the Zulu is for you. I have not flown with the Bose Aviation X but consider that prices are basically the same, the bluetooth alone sways me towards the Lightspeed. Performance for noise was as good as my David Clarks although things did sound a bit different, but not bad different, just different.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review.

You will recall that when I first used the Bluetooth with the headset not plugged into the intercom I stated that I had no side tone. This was mentioned in the first review before I had a chance to take the headset into the plane. I can say that with the headset in the plane and plugged into the intercom that there is side tone through the intercom system. This is very helpful when talking as you can hear yourself.

As I have been flying with them a little more I am getting a better feel for the comfort level. The last time I had them on was for four hours straight. They were not uncomfortable but I was starting to get a little hot spot behind the ears. On that particular trip I was not wearing sunglasses at all. Just an FYI

As I have been flying with them a little more I am getting a better feel for the comfort level. The last time I had them on was for four hours straight. They were not uncomfortable but I was starting to get a little hot spot behind the ears. On that particular trip I was not wearing sunglasses at all. Just an FYI

Yeah, I tried a pair on the other day, and was if-ing between them and the Bose and bought...............

The Clarity Aloft :D:yes: Perfectly comfortable flight back from St Thomas without having to fuss with my glasses or reposition the head vise, I think I'd have trouble going back to ear cups, I even figured out how to use them with my helmet.

I have the regular model. I don't think there was a choice when I bought mine. I wondered how sturdy they would be since they look fragile, but they have held up to my abuse for over a year.

I bought the standard ones as well. I didn't see any advantage worth over $100.

How do the clarity aloft work.

I know that they should work (technically), but they don't really look like a headset, do they?

~ Christopher

Well something weird is going on with the Zulus. I was flying right seat today and when ever the marine radio was in the circuit for me to use I could not hear anything. No intercom, air band or marine radio. If I plugged in the DCs all was fine. I have to look at these a little more carefully to see if I can figure out what was going on.

Back