Lightspeed 20XLc

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
Lightspeed 20XLc headset. Just back from the factory. They have an interface for a cell phone or CD/MP3 player with an auto mute function. They also have an auto shutoff to save the battries. Best sets ever made.
For X-mas I am getting the 3Gs. these have to go.

Lightspeed has one of the best customer service and will fix these usually for free if you break em.

n22565@yahoo.com

$300 w/shipping to cont USA.

Last edited:
Correction:

Lightspeed has one of the best customer service and will fix these usually for free WHEN you break em.

LOL. They have improved the design.

I bought my first set (20Ks) in 2000. Those broke twice in 2 yrs 1000 hrs.

I bought the 20XLs in 2003 and they went back only once for the updated stirrups and a new headband.

I bought the 20XLcs in 2005 and they have been fine.

As you can see, they dont suck. If they sucked, I would have changed companys :goofy: :goofy:

Last edited:
Gawd I hope they got better. I gave up on them because they did suck. I went throught the 20XL, 203G, and QFR. All needed repairs in less than a year. As I have written about before I swtiched to DCs and never had a HS problem again. The only way I would switch back to LS is if they gave me an eval version for an extended test period and that is not going to happen.

But it is true their CS was great. But then when the SO lost her battery cover on the DCs they were great too. They sent a new cover free and we got it in 3 days.

I've had Thirty 3G's for about eighteen months. I love 'em and their priced reasonably for the excellent quality.

I've worn the Bose that everyone boast of. They are indeed comfortable but NOT a grand's worth of comfort unless you just want to spend the money. Being out of a non-towered airport, having cell phone adaption is more than handy for getting a clearance. Bose' idea is to spend $100-225 more for an aftermarket adapter, none of which have proved to be of worthy quality.

As for Lightspeed customer service... I've lost the control holster twice, the cell phone cable once. All three times, they were replaced free of charge, including shipping. Ya can't beat that with a bottle of Tums! :D

I love my 20XLs but I think the cell phone interface stinks. ( put on as an upgrade)

I like mine. 20-3G purchased April 2005. I actually use 'em in the truck so they get beat up pretty well and I won't blame Lightspeed too much for 'em breaking.

It seems both customer service and engineering are responsive. My first complaint was that the springs on the negative sides of the batteries were weak. Going bumpety-bump in the truck all day with the battery box clipped vertically made the negative spring that was on the underside of the batteries (the rh one I think) very weak, and occasionally the ANR would cut out for a second when it lost power.

I called them and immediately got an RMA number. However, I didn't send the headset back. I use it too often to be able to part with it for a few days! So, when the ANR finally quit for good in July, I stopped by their booth at OSH to ask if there was any alternative to sending it in. They handed me a new battery box on the spot, complete with installation instructions so I could do it myself (which I finally got around to last weekend - I will post pics later). Oh, and they gave me two new mic muffs and a new music cable too. Count me as a satisfied customer.

I just got the proper adapter for my cell phone too, but I can't get the cell interface to work. I can hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. When I hang up, there's about a 1Hz click in the headset as well. Very odd. I'll have to find someone with a 2.5mm phone headset so I can make sure the adapter itself actually works.

Still satisfied. The headset is VERY comfortable (I've flown 8.8 hours in a day with it and not felt a single ache), the audio fidelity is amazing, the noise reduction impressive (it reduces my truck to a mere background whisper), and for the price differential between the 20-3G and the Bose you can buy a second one and have enough money left over to take a friend flying for an hour to try 'em out. Sweet.

I like mine. 20-3G purchased April 2005. I actually use 'em in the truck so they get beat up pretty well and I won't blame Lightspeed too much for 'em breaking.

I just got the proper adapter for my cell phone too, but I can't get the cell interface to work. I can hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. When I hang up, there's about a 1Hz click in the headset as well. Very odd. I'll have to find someone with a 2.5mm phone headset so I can make sure the adapter itself actually works.

I've flown with both Bose (X and the original) and for me the LS are actually more comfortable. I think it's the deeper ear cups since my ears stick out pretty far. I also have found that the passive NR of the Bose is inferior to any other ANR headset I've ever used (could be my ears again). That said I do believe that Bose makes an impressive product. At least they had the guts to follow LS's lead with auto-shutoff and a music/cellphone interface (never used the bose version of that).

All five of my LS headsets have a cellphone interface now (I upgraded a couple older ones a while back) and I haven't had trouble with any of them when used with several different phones (couple of Nokia and a Motorola) other than a very early version of their interface which made the cellphone volume way too loud (they replaced that one with something that was much better).

One key issue is to be sure to push both ends of the cable all the way into the jacks. I did find that it's pretty easy to end up with the headset end partially inserted without realizing it since the jack is slightly recessed.

As to customer service IMO LS is second to none including the acknowledged leader David Clark. I was present one time at their OSH booth when a customer presented a broken headset and asked if they could supply a loaner for his trip back home the next day. Alan Schrader (company president) offered to take the headset back to his motel and fix it that evening and said he'd loan the pilot a new latest model on the next day if he couldn't fix the owner's. When you consider that Alan had spent the last several days on his feet all day and probably just wanted to catch some dinner and crash, you can really appreciate the commitment that LS has for service. It obviously comes straight from the top.

Last edited:
I have to chime in and say that my 20XLCs are the greatest headset I've ever laid eyes on, better than Bose IMHO.

You would not go wrong buying these from Eamon.

I've had the 20-3G's for the past year with no problems.

Lightspeed 20XLc headsets. Just back from the factory.
$300 w/shipping to cont USA.

I have a 30-3G and a 20XLc, and I cannot find the extra $220 bones I paid for the 30-3G over the factory re-conditioned 20XLc's. Next time I need a set, I'll get the 20XLc and keep those bucks in my wallet.

$300 for TWO 20XLc's is a nice deal.

Dang! I wonder if I could sneak 'em in as a "Christmas present" for us?? Really would like to demote the Telex ANR 150's to 'backup' set and be able to get a decent ANR set for my wife for flying in the RV. That's a loud little airplane!

-Chris

I have a 30-3G and a 20XLc, and I cannot find the extra $220 bones I paid for the 30-3G over the factory re-conditioned 20XLc's. Next time I need a set, I'll get the 20XLc and keep those bucks in my wallet.

$300 for TWO 20XLc's is a nice deal.

Are you smoking weed again?? LOL. I guess I could have written it clearer. I fixed it, sorry.

$300 EACH SET
They go on E-bay for $300-350 used without shipping and usually no cell phone/CD imput. I want to sell them but I am not Santa Clause :)

Here are 2 on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=320063559344&rd=1,1

No cell phone or cd jack. This option if $75 extra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180065645828&rd=1&rd=1

No cell phone jack this is a $75 extra option

Last edited:
Humm... tempting... Now the e-bay link has the bid price at $150 right now... I want a deal ; ) maybe I should talk to Serria. <VEG>

Missa

FYI. Going to NYC just after x-mas. Will you two be around?

I've flown with both Bose (X and the original) and for me the LS are actually more comfortable. I think it's the deeper ear cups since my ears stick out pretty far.

Also why I picked the 3G's over the XLc's when I tried them on.

I also have found that the passive NR of the Bose is inferior to any other ANR headset I've ever used (could be my ears again).

Bose' PNR is worthless.

My ANR on the Lightspeeds was out for about 6 months while I waited for my round tuit to come in... And it was a pretty darn good passive headset, maybe even better than my "real" passives, and certainly way more comfortable.

One key issue is to be sure to push both ends of the cable all the way into the jacks. I did find that it's pretty easy to end up with the headset end partially inserted without realizing it since the jack is slightly recessed.

Yeah, I thought of that too but after playing with them a lot it still did the same thing every time. :(

Back