Light Sport Glider Training?

Interesting... So what would be the requirements of the checkride? Would I need to conduct the night xc solos, and would the DPE be able to act as PIC because I don't have a medical?
Yes, and no. You have to fulfill all of the requirements for a new private (hours, cross countries, etc., and yes, medical).

So I’m a tad confused by all of this. It seems as if getting a PPL-G could be a faster and cheaper path to getting a ASEL-Sport ticket; a cheat code of sorts. Are there any restrictions? This seems a tad unsafe, but maybe I dont understand all the content covered in glider training or the level of scrutiny the seconded CFI must have in suffice of a DPE.

I’m a current and proficient Sport Pilot who is interested in soaring—especially with the fewer limitations of SPL. Would I be able to train for the PPL-G, just like a fresh student, do a check ride, then go straight for the ASEL-S endorsement or do I automatically have the ASEL-S rating? Do I surrender my Sport Pilot ticket for a PPL with a glider and ASEL-S rating; does a 8710 get filled for that?

This is all making my head spin a little.
Cheat code? Not really. Fewer flight training hours required? Yes.
Any restrictions? Not sure what that’s asking. Private glider removes the sport limitations of altitude, night, etc, but private pilots still have limitations - not flying for pay, IMC without IFR, class A without ATC clearance, etc.
Not unsafe at all. Same proficiency standards must be be.
A DPE/SPIE will tell you that a sport proficiency check has the same standards as a check ride. I’ve had a SPIE tell me that a proficiency check is actually more aspects than a check ride. So the scrutiny level is absolutely there.

Yes, you can train for private glider and do the check ride for it. The issuance of your glider ticket would have your underlying sport airplane as an endorsement. You absolutely do not just automatically get a new rating, such as ASEL-S. You’d need to receive training in an airplane per 61.309 and 61.311 first. While no minimum training hours are specified, you must receive and log training and demonstrate proficiency on each of the requirements specified in order to be recommended to a second CFI for a proficiency check - which is nearly identical to a check ride. For the ASEL-S addition to a PP-G with your sport endorsement, an 8710-11 is completed by the two CFI’s. You’d then have a PP-G, with two underlying sport endorsements. Nothing is “surrendered,” in reality; just built upon. Hope that helps.

You cant add private airplane without a medical. The rest is moot. For requirements to add private airplane, 61.109.
Interesting... So what would be the requirements of the checkride? Would I need to conduct the night xc solos, and would the DPE be able to act as PIC because I don't have a medical? I'm essentially asking if it is possible for someone to obtain a PPL-airplane, without a medical. Obviously they wouldn't be able to exercise PPL-airplane privledges since a medical is requried

Any restrictions? Not sure what that’s asking. Private glider removes the sport limitations of altitude, night, etc, but private pilots still have limitations - not flying for pay, IMC without IFR, class A without ATC clearance, etc.
A DPE/SPIE will tell you that a sport proficiency check has the same standards as a check ride. I’ve had a SPIE tell me that a proficiency check is actually more aspects than a check ride. So the scrutiny level is absolutely there.

Yes, you can train for private glider and do the check ride for it. The issuance of your glider ticket would have your underlying sport airplane as an endorsement. You absolutely do not just automatically get a new rating, such as ASEL-S. You’d need to receive training in an airplane per 61.309 and 61.311 first. While no minimum training hours are specified, you must receive and log training and demonstrate proficiency on each of the requirements specified in order to be recommended to a second CFI for a proficiency check - which is nearly identical to a check ride. For the ASEL-S addition to a PP-G with your sport endorsement, an 8710-11 is completed by the two CFI’s. You’d then have a PP-G, with two underlying sport endorsements. Nothing is “surrendered,” in reality; just built upon. Hope that helps.
Feel free to call anytime if you get confused. Happy to walk you through this. 805-505-SOAR(7627).

This was very helpful! Thank you very much for the clarity, and will certainly give you a ring if I have any further questions!

Back