Light signals to indicate turns?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
"...make all turns to the left..... unless the airport displays <b>approved</b> light signals...."

What light signals? I can't recall seeing any in person or in a book, I don't even know what they might look like, or where on an airport they might come from.

91.126b1

Let'sgoflying! said:
"...make all turns to the left..... unless the airport displays <b>approved</b> light signals...."

What light signals? I can't recall seeing any in person or in a book, I don't even know what they might look like, or where on an airport they might come from.

91.126b1

Wind indicators (windsocks, etc) sometimes have a segmented circle around the base (10 feet in diameter or some such distance) with L shaped markings on the outside of the circle indicating which direction turns are to be made in the pattern.

If there is a flashing amber light on top of a wind indicator, segmented circle or tower, all turns in the pattern are to the right.

Here's another fun one most people will totally miss: A closed airport does not need to have the big X's at either end of the runways. As long as all runways at the airport are closed they can have one X next to the wind indicator with no markings on the actual runways.

fgcason said:
If there is a flashing amber light .

Tks Frank.. too bad they don't reference this right in the FAR... hey, where can we read about the flashing amber light?

I was aware of the light indicator... when the FAA lawyers wrote "Light Signal " I kind of expected something like a light gun from the tower sorta thing.

Back