Lifeline Pilots

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Doc, maybe you can help me here. I was looking at donating some of my time to a worthy cause and looked into Lifeline Pilots. There requirements state a 4 seater, does that mean a 4 seat aircraft or do they want you to be able to carry 3 adult size passengers? also, is there much demand in AZ for Lifeline?
I know about Angel Flight, but don't understand why they require pilots to pay for the privilege of helping others.

Michael

Michael said:
Doc, maybe you can help me here. I was looking at donating some of my time to a worthy cause and looked into Lifeline Pilots. There requirements state a 4 seater, does that mean a 4 seat aircraft or do they want you to be able to carry 3 adult size passengers? also, is there much demand in AZ for Lifeline?
I know about Angel Flight, but don't understand why they require pilots to pay for the privilege of helping others.

Michael

I take it you are talking about the membership fee AF West charges. Thought that a little much as well. AF South Central has no membership fees.
Don

Michael said:

Michael
Mike, Lifeline Pilots doesn't make any concerted effort west of Nebraska. However, we get about 30 to 40 requests per year that originate or terminate WAaaaaayyyYYYY beyond our midwest core of 15 states. "4 seat aircraft" would be even a Cherokee 140 which everyone knows is not a 4 seater.

Each trip has an "advertised" cargo load (lbs of pax) and the staff pretty nearly fits it to each pilot and his mount. This info is available when the call for the trip goes out. I once turned down a request for two 330 pounders with a 4 year old boy (80 pounds) because I had a sneaking sense that the two pax weren't being honest about their weights.

There are quite a few who do LLP in C172s, though. That's three seat aircraft. But, C150s are just not practical.

Our E.D. is trying to get the right referral inputs for us post Katrina- but the fields are mostly closed to all but "official" relief traffic. They're too busy servicing the military police and the official....and the contacts for who can be productively moved are just not there.

Last edited:
Wish i could do Lifeline flights but dont have the Hours or IR rating, so i'm looking into Volenteer pilot flights they do IR and VFR flights.And only require 200 hrs. VFR and 250 for IFR Dave G.

Shipoke said:
Wish i could do Lifeline flights but dont have the Hours or IR rating, so i'm looking into Volenteer pilot flights they do IR and VFR flights.And only require 200 hrs. VFR and 250 for IFR Dave G.
Dave LLP does not require the IR. About 10% of our pilots are IR only....but IR makes for more flexibility. 250 hours is not that far away.... :0)

Don Jones said:
I take it you are talking about the membership fee AF West charges. Thought that a little much as well. AF South Central has no membership fees.

Ditto (no fee) for AF Central.

Back