License to learn

I should mention I'm technically past the "danger zone" I have 260 hours of dual. <sigh> Let the flaming begin. But hey I'm a slow learner when it comes to landings.

This is the book: "The Killing Zone: How & Why Pilots Die" by Paul Craig

He has a lot of stats and says the killing zone is between 50 hours and 350 hours.

It is a dry read, but very educational.

He has a lot of stats and says the killing zone is between 50 hours and 350 hours.

The book is on my wishlist at amazon.

So THAT's when the heart attacks and cancer are the worst? ;)

I should mention I'm technically past the "danger zone" I have 260 hours of dual. <sigh> Let the flaming begin. But hey I'm a slow learner when it comes to landings.
Flaming? Why? Oh I forgot, this is the Blue Board... shoot. :dunno:

FWIW Sara, I had about 250 hours when I passed my checkride too. About half of it was solo though. I was well on my way to becoming a perpetual primary student. It took some real nudging on my CFI's part to force me out of the nest. Then he was fired... but that's another story. :)

Thanks Azure. Just had to want it enough. My checkbook started screaming when I had to write the checks for plane rental so that was my motivation :)

I have a little over 15 hours since getting my PPL and I've learned a ton already. Flying with passengers in different than having a CFI next to you. I've learned that most people so far don't really care how a plane fly's they just love the view. So I've learned how to give them the scenic side as I cruise down the coast! I've also learned that passengers are chatty during takeoff but everyone gets real quite when we are approaching for landing, and then become real chatty again once I've landed. I've learned that most people love Air Traffic Control and inevitably everyone I've taken up is fascinated that I know how to understand what I'm being told to do and how fast everything happens. I've learned that even the smallest turbulence makes my Mom get sick and that an air sickness bag is your best friend, or a Chinesse soup container as my Mom used twice already!

I've also learned to respect my limitations and respect the weather. Getting out on XC's with someone sitting next to you who can't help but to get the chart out is a pretty amazing and fun filled experience. I guess I'm learning I love this flying thing even more than I thought!

Crap, I just read something that stated the time after certification to 250 Hours was the worst. It was either robert buck or richard collins.

That's close but not exactly correct. The most dangerous time is between 50 and 350 hours. Statistics are quite clear. I highly recommend a book entitled "The Killing Zone."

Hey Doc - can't order the book or have time to read it for a couple weeks but thanks for the suggestion of the book!

I've also learned that passengers are chatty during takeoff but everyone gets real quite when we are approaching for landing, and then become real chatty again once I've landed.

Wow, I have the wrong passengers. My passengers are chatty all the time, doesn't matter where I am and even if I tell them to be quiet... Luckily I can disconnect myself and I do. Worst cockpit distraction I've had so far was being vomited on while on final at Santa Fe. It was thoughtful of my passenger to not vomit on my panel, but to instead cover me in a partially digested hearty breakfast. It was definitely distracting though.

Wow, I have the wrong passengers. My passengers are chatty all the time, doesn't matter where I am and even if I tell them to be quiet... Luckily I can disconnect myself and I do. Worst cockpit distraction I've had so far though was being vomited on while on final at Santa Fe. It was thoughtful of my passenger to not vomit on my panel, but to instead cover me in a partially digested hearty breakfast. It was definitely distracting though.

Ewwww. You do have the wrong pax!

So THAT's when the heart attacks and cancer are the worst? ;)

In one of the R. Collins books (referring to IMC flying) he says something like "In my experience, autopilots fail on average every 500 to 1000 hours. If you knew the pilot flying the plane was going to have a heart attack sometime in the next 500 to 1000 hours, you would be watching him like a hawk wouldn't you?"

Holy crap, Kobra! :) I'm feeling better now :cheerswine:
You'll get there eventually :wink2:. Most people with a few hundred hours plus under their belts have a list atleast that long (I know I do). Whether or not they own up to it or not is for another discussion.

Here's one (I'm too tired to think too deep right now):

-Forgetting that the fuel pressure guage on the 150 Aerobat only gives a reading when the aux pump is on and making an "emergency landing" at an airport 2 miles away (that was one of my first flights after getting my ticket too!)

-

Back